PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Modifications to 3.5 Warlock Class Reasonable, all things considered?

Madmopper
2020-04-29, 01:34 PM
I wan to run a 3.5 Warlock with the following changes to the class:

Skill points are 6 per level rather than 2

Eldritch Blast Damage = 1d6 per level/2 (so 10d6 at level 20)

An extra invocation at Class levels 5, 10, 15, and 20.

DR Cold Iron changed to +1 every 3 levels, for a total of 6 at level 18.

Fiendish Resilience changed to 1/day + CHA modifier.

I would want the Hellfire Warlock Prestige class to allow it's levels to count as Warlock levels for the purpose of the changes made above.

Do these changes seem reasonable, especially in the context of such powerhouses as wizards, clerics and druids?

I tend to go for rule of cool/realism in my games. Game breaking spells are altered, but some spell combos would be allowed (like grease + any fire spell)

Thank You!

Tvtyrant
2020-04-29, 01:48 PM
I wan to run a 3.5 Warlock with the following changes to the class:

Skill points are 6 per level rather than 2

Eldritch Blast Damage = 1d6 per level/2 (so 10d6 at level 20)

An extra invocation at Class levels 5, 10, 15, and 20.

DR Cold Iron changed to +1 every 3 levels, for a total of 6 at level 18.

Fiendish Resilience changed to 1/day + CHA modifier.

I would want the Hellfire Warlock Prestige class to allow it's levels to count as Warlock levels for the purpose of the changes made above.

Do these changes seem reasonable, especially in the context of such powerhouses as wizards, clerics and druids?

I tend to go for rule of cool/realism in my games. Game breaking spells are altered, but some spell combos would be allowed (like grease + any fire spell)

Thank You!
Unless you are granting Eldritch Blast iteratives 10d6 is basically pointless at level 20. Unless you just want the math to look smoother you might want to increase it a bit more.

Madmopper
2020-04-29, 01:49 PM
Yeah, the extra 1d6 at 20 is nothing, I know. I just wanted the math to look cleaner. Still ended up with the 6DR, but whatever.

JNAProductions
2020-04-29, 01:51 PM
The main thing I'd say is, if Hellfire Warlock stacks for all that, what do you even lose by PrCing out? Or is it just literally better in every way?

Overall, though, I highly doubt you're gonna break anything with a Warlock, even with those changes.

Tvtyrant
2020-04-29, 01:55 PM
Yeah, the extra 1d6 at 20 is nothing, I know. I just wanted the math to look cleaner. Still ended up with the 6DR, but whatever.

I would do that and give it iteratives based on the number of Warlock levels. That avoids a lot of the Hellfire stacking problems and makes it usefulish. 30d6 a turn is decent damage given you effectively never miss.

Madmopper
2020-04-29, 01:59 PM
Yeah, that's true about the Hellfire Warlock. I'll nix that line. The extra damage seems a bit much, but I know at 20 sooo many other characters can do ridiculous amounts of damage...

Tvtyrant
2020-04-29, 03:18 PM
Yeah, that's true about the Hellfire Warlock. I'll nix that line. The extra damage seems a bit much, but I know at 20 sooo many other characters can do ridiculous amounts of damage...

A CR20 Black Dragon Wyrm has 429HP. It would take roughly 5 turns for 30d6 to kill it, which means if the whole party did that much damage they would kill it in one round. That is just about the right amount.

By comparison a fighter with power attack is dealing the same or more, and with shocktrooper is dealing much more.

RecordedChaos
2020-05-05, 11:27 PM
I'm currently building a homebrew revamp with warlock flavor, but have you tried taking a look at the Nexus class that uses Dreamscarred Press's Akashic Magic system? Akashic Magic is basically a revamp of the Magic of Incarnum for Pathfinder and the Nexus class is chock full of warlocky goodness.