PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Additional Metamagic Options for Sorcerers

sandmote
2020-04-29, 02:25 PM
This page on the Homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/NL5lcfE04)

Trying to unclutter my general workspace. Two comments: I'd like to weaken Transdimentional Spell to not be broken when combined with etherealness but am unsure how to go about doing it, and Eshew Materials is costed to be below the material cost for to Rivivify or any higher level variant.

Bent Spell
When you cast a spell that requires an attack roll or Dexterity saving throw, you can spend up to 2 sorcery points to reduce the effects of cover against all creatures affected by the spell. If you spend one sorcery point on the spell, the spell ignores half cover, and the benefit of three quarters cover against the spell is reduced to +3. If you spend 2 sorcery points one the spell, you ignore the effects of both half and three quarters cover.

Shifted Spell
When you cast a spell that targets a creature or creates an area of effect centered on a point other than yourself, you can spend 2 sorcery points to shift the spell around up to 5 feet of cover. The spell acts as if you can see this point, although you gain no additional ability to discern if a valid target is standing in the space you aim at. The shift can occur at any point along the spell's path, but cannot pass through solid material.

Eshew Materials
When you cast a spell, you can spend up to 5 sorcery points to cast it without any material components. You can ignore material components worth up to 50 gp for each sorcery point you spend.

Smiting Spell
When you make a melee spell attack with a range of touch, you can spend 2 sorcery points to make the attack roll using using a weapon, instead of using your hand. After resolving the effects of the spell you may make a melee attack roll using the same weapon, dealing damage against the target as normal. The weapon cannot benefit from reach while using this metamagic option.

You can use Smiting Spell even if you have already used a different metamagic option during the casting of the spell. However, if a spell allows you to target multiple creatures you must spend Sorcery points for each attack roll you add.

Transdimentional Spell
When you cast a spell with an area of effect, you can spend 2 sorcery points to bleed the spell beyond the plane you are on. If you are on the Ethereal Plane the spell deals half damage to creatures that are not on the ethereal plane, and if you are not on the ethereal plane the spell does half damage to creatures on the ethereal plane. You cannot use this metamagic on planes that do not border the Ethereal Plane and grants you no additional ability to see between planes.

Typeless Spell
When you cast a spell that cannot affect creatures of a particular type or can only affect creatures of particular types, you can spend 2 sorcery points for each creature you choose to target that is not of the required type you wish to affect. If the target could be affected by the spell before you used Typeless Spell the sorcery points are simply wasted.

JNAProductions
2020-04-29, 02:54 PM
Bent looks fine.

Shifted looks fine. Also cool idea.

Eschew (typo there-might want to fix it) looks fine, if pretty expensive.

Smiting is kinda weird. And probably not worth two SP.

Transdimensional is niche-probably not worth taking unless you plan to abuse it. I might nix it entirely.

Typeless feels a little too good. Hold Person is a 2nd level spell. Hold Monster is 5th.

sandmote
2020-04-29, 03:25 PM
Eschew (typo there-might want to fix it) looks fine, if pretty expensive. How does the joke about the average american's language skills go again? Note its the minimum sorcery point cost for casting a spell whose components have no material cost, although its mostly useful to a Divine Soul, as they get to choose more spells with a gp cost.

Smiting is kinda weird. And probably not worth two SP. I've been meaning to write some spells specifically for the Eldritch Knight, and this is an extension of that.

Transdimensional is niche-probably not worth taking unless you plan to abuse it. I might nix it entirely.

Typeless feels a little too good. Hold Person is a 2nd level spell. Hold Monster is 5th. Reasonable, but i'm wondering if there's a way to salvage it. What if it were only usable if you entered the Ethereal Plane "since the start of your last round," or something.

Cost of 2nd level slot + Typeless is 5 points
Cost of 3rd level slot + Typeless is 7 points for 1 non-humanoid or 9 for two.
Cost of 4th level slot + Typeless is 8 for 1, 10 for 2, or 12 for 3.
Cost of 5th level slot +Typleless is 9 for 1, 11 for 2, 13 for 3, and 15 for 4

Cost of 5th level slot is 7 points
Cost of 5th level slot + twinned is 12 points.

Yep, definitely messed up the math the first time. Is a cost of three less broken?

Cost of 2nd level slot + Typeless is 6 points
Cost of 3rd level slot + Typeless is 8 points for 1 non-humanoid or 11 for two.
Cost of 4th level slot + Typeless is 9 for 1, 12 for 2, or 15 for 3.
Cost of 5th level slot +Typleless is 10 for 1, 13 for 2, 16 for 3, and 19 for 4

Segev
2020-04-29, 03:30 PM
Transdimensional Spell is awfully niche without deliberately setting up use. Perhaps creates a cost schedule of SP based on which coterminous planes it is to manifest?

Maybe manifesting from the Material to the others costs 1, manifesting from any others to the Material costs 3 or 4? Are they coterminous with each other, or do you have to go from the Ethereal to the Material before you can then go to the Shadowfell or the Feywild?

JNAProductions
2020-04-29, 03:55 PM
How does the joke about the average american's language skills go again? Note its the minimum sorcery point cost for casting a spell whose components have no material cost, although its mostly useful to a Divine Soul, as they get to choose more spells with a gp cost.

I've been meaning to write some spells specifically for the Eldritch Knight, and this is an extension of that.

Reasonable, but i'm wondering if there's a way to salvage it. What if it were only usable if you entered the Ethereal Plane "since the start of your last round," or something.

Cost of 2nd level slot + Typeless is 5 points
Cost of 3rd level slot + Typeless is 7 points for 1 non-humanoid or 9 for two.
Cost of 4th level slot + Typeless is 8 for 1, 10 for 2, or 12 for 3.
Cost of 5th level slot +Typleless is 9 for 1, 11 for 2, 13 for 3, and 15 for 4

Cost of 5th level slot is 7 points
Cost of 5th level slot + twinned is 12 points.

Yep, definitely messed up the math the first time. Is a cost of three less broken?

Cost of 2nd level slot + Typeless is 6 points
Cost of 3rd level slot + Typeless is 8 points for 1 non-humanoid or 11 for two.
Cost of 4th level slot + Typeless is 9 for 1, 12 for 2, or 15 for 3.
Cost of 5th level slot +Typleless is 10 for 1, 13 for 2, 16 for 3, and 19 for 4

My issue is less the economy and more the early access. (Though the economy is an issue.)

Even at 3 SP, you can still use a Hold Monster (effectively) at level 3.

sandmote
2020-04-29, 04:20 PM
Transdimensional Spell is awfully niche without deliberately setting up use. Perhaps creates a cost schedule of SP based on which coterminous planes it is to manifest?

Maybe manifesting from the Material to the others costs 1, manifesting from any others to the Material costs 3 or 4? Are they coterminous with each other, or do you have to go from the Ethereal to the Material before you can then go to the Shadowfell or the Feywild? This was not intended. The intended use was between the border etherial and the main plane you are adventuring on. Would "border ethereal be clearer?" I was thinking of being more effective against similar threats, plus combining this with Blink.

My issue is less the economy and more the early access. (Though the economy is an issue.)

Even at 3 SP, you can still use a Hold Monster (effectively) at level 3. That was kind of the point; make something strong enough to compete with twinned + hasted even at 3rd level. Admittedly, I don't like fights with only one monster, so this might be coloring my view of Hold Monster as weaker than at most tables. You can use it twice at 3rd level, if you're okay with being left with a single 1st level slot for the rest of the day. Anything it would be gamebreaking against is way too strong to be thrown at the party at 3rd level. I honestly expect it to be more useful around 5th-8th, just because you have the resources to try relying on it.

JNAProductions
2020-04-29, 04:31 PM
This was not intended. The intended use was between the border etherial and the main plane you are adventuring on. Would "border ethereal be clearer?" I was thinking of being more effective against similar threats, plus combining this with Blink.

That was kind of the point; make something strong enough to compete with twinned + hasted even at 3rd level. Admittedly, I don't like fights with only one monster, so this might be coloring my view of Hold Monster as weaker than at most tables. You can use it twice at 3rd level, if you're okay with being left with a single 1st level slot for the rest of the day. Anything it would be gamebreaking against is way too strong to be thrown at the party at 3rd level. I honestly expect it to be more useful around 5th-8th, just because you have the resources to try relying on it.

What about a 24 hour charm on a failed Wisdom save? From a 1st level slot?

The concept isn't bad. But there's too many spells to consider.

Segev
2020-04-29, 04:55 PM
This was not intended. The intended use was between the border etherial and the main plane you are adventuring on. Would "border ethereal be clearer?" I was thinking of being more effective against similar threats, plus combining this with Blink.

Well, it does that as written. You indicated you were worried it would be abused, perhaps when people cast etherealness.

Without blink or etherealness or similar, this is investing heavily into a highly conditional power, because while the threats that can strike from the border ethereal are dangerous due to this ability, they're also rare.

With etherealness, you become one of those nigh-invulnerable threats, and that is, I think, your concern.

So, to enable the use of it for this while making it more costly, how about 1 SP to affect the Ethereal when you're on the Material, and 3 or 4 SP to affect the Material when you're on the Ethereal? Maybe as high as 5?

sandmote
2020-05-01, 05:59 PM
Honestly I probably should have moved this into the discarded ideas pile and gotten back to it later.

What about a 24 hour charm on a failed Wisdom save? From a 1st level slot?

The concept isn't bad. But there's too many spells to consider. Only for creature with less than 4 int, but point taken.

Well, it does that as written. You indicated you were worried it would be abused, perhaps when people cast etherealness.

Without blink or etherealness or similar, this is investing heavily into a highly conditional power, because while the threats that can strike from the border ethereal are dangerous due to this ability, they're also rare.

With etherealness, you become one of those nigh-invulnerable threats, and that is, I think, your concern.

So, to enable the use of it for this while making it more costly, how about 1 SP to affect the Ethereal when you're on the Material, and 3 or 4 SP to affect the Material when you're on the Ethereal? Maybe as high as 5? Nah, I'll just drop it for now.

JNAProductions
2020-05-01, 06:21 PM
Why wouldn’t typeless remove the 4 Int restriction too?

Segev
2020-05-02, 12:48 AM
Honestly I probably should have moved this into the discarded ideas pile and gotten back to it later.

Only for creature with less than 4 int, but point taken.

Nah, I'll just drop it for now.

I did enjoy discussing it. I always want to see more Metamagics; I think they're underdeveloped in 5e. So I was glad to see your efforts on them.

sandmote
2020-05-02, 02:22 PM
Why wouldn’t typeless remove the 4 Int restriction too? "Type," is specifically the group the monster belongs to, such as beast or humanoid?

I did enjoy discussing it. I always want to see more Metamagics; I think they're underdeveloped in 5e. So I was glad to see your efforts on them. Discussion is always good, I just like to have my homebrew relatively thought through before I put it onto the forum for commentary.