PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Does Nystul's Magical Aura hide magical traps?

Max Caysey
2020-04-29, 07:00 PM
So, if I have cast Glyph of Warding on my spellbook, and I then enchant my spellbook, with Nystul's Magical Aura, to project no magic, can rogues still find the spell trap with a DC 25+ spell level search check?

Cheers

heavyfuel
2020-04-29, 07:37 PM
It hides traps from things like Detect Magic and Arcane Sight because the traps would stop pinging on the caster's radar.

However, a Rogue can still use the Trapfinding ability to find and circumvent the trap.

An alarm spell would probably be best to deter the Rogue since they can't find or disable it, however, it would be subject to the aforementioned divinitions

Emperor Tippy
2020-04-29, 07:52 PM
So, if I have cast Glyph of Warding on my spellbook, and I then enchant my spellbook, with Nystul's Magical Aura, to project no magic, can rogues still find the spell trap with a DC 25+ spell level search check?

Cheers

It doesn't help against the Trapfinding class feature.

Max Caysey
2020-04-30, 05:27 AM
It hides traps from things like Detect Magic and Arcane Sight because the traps would stop pinging on the caster's radar.

However, a Rogue can still use the Trapfinding ability to find and circumvent the trap.

An alarm spell would probably be best to deter the Rogue since they can't find or disable it, however, it would be subject to the aforementioned divinitions

Why can't a rogue find and disable the alarm spell, if its cast on the spell book?

It doesn't help against the Trapfinding class feature.

Thanks, that was unclear to me...

I assume I could try and hide the spell trap with Hidden Ward... that could add +5 to the search DC of spell traps. If I have multiple traps, like alarm, Glyph of Warding and Sign of Sealing, would I need to have multiple applications of Hidden Ward?

heavyfuel
2020-04-30, 07:38 AM
Why can't a rogue find and disable the alarm spell, if its cast on the spell book?

First things first. You can't cast Alarm on a spellbook. It's cast on a point in space, so it can't be cast on movable objects.

Second, despite its appearance, Alarm is not a magical trap, it's a simple spell effect. A Rogue can't find an Alarm just like a Rogue can't find a Zone of Truth or a Consecrate. Unless, of course, you went out of your way to make an Alarm trap (since traps can be made of any spell). In which case a Rogue could find the trap and not trigger it.