PDA

View Full Version : Can you combine decisive strike with the battlejump feat?

Soranar
2020-04-29, 07:10 PM
So here's my idea

gain a swift action teleportation effect (anklets of translocation or the dimension hop power)

Have at least 1 level of decisive strike monk and the battlejump feat

you can teleport 5 ft above your enemy as a swift action (assume he's close enough, you're still allowed a 5 ft step so it's not impossible to pull off, otherwise there's always wall climbing )

battlejump activates as you fall

falling is a free action

you get a free charge that deals double damage which you combine with decisive strike (which also gives you double damage)

due to dungeons and dragons math, you get x3 damage with a single attack as long as you use a monk weapon

or does battlejump not work with decisive strike?

Aracor
2020-04-29, 09:07 PM
Unfortunately, no. First of all, Decisive Strike is a full-round action. You cannot combine Decisive Strike with a charge in general, because they're both full-round actions. When you make a Decisive Strike, you can't move more than a 5' step.

In addition, according to battle jump, "you have to hurl yourself down on your foe.".

From a DM standpoint, I'd say no. Teleporting above them and falling doesn't fit the listed requirements for Battle Jump. It's not really any different than levitating and dropping. Admittedly, that's partially my interpretation, but it seems to fit the listed text - requiring you to make a jump check. Falling may be a free action, but making a jump check is considered movement and therefore part of a move action. The wording of Battle Jump (and the prohibition from levitation and fly) suggests that it needs to be a deliberate jump down on them, not just falling on them to trigger it.

animewatcha
2020-04-30, 01:22 AM
Yes and no.

Teleportation requires that you appear on a surface that can support you. So anklets aren't going to cut it.
Decisive strike is a full-round action that can be split between two rounds. Using up the standard from each one. So Turn 1 you would start it. Turn 2 would be the execution of it. You should be able to 'move into position' via move action on round 2. This allows you to setup your 'charge' via battlejump but before this is executed you gotta unleash your decisive strike before finale of battlejump. So you would get Decisive attack ( double damage ( and then charge attack ( triple damage ). Battlejump is more for the Powerattack route anyways.

Powerdork
2020-04-30, 04:16 AM
For indoor environments, I think an elocator's personal gravity could let you count ceilings as surfaces that can support you, and from there, it's a matter of leaping far enough that personal gravity drops out and you pivot to normal falling physics with your leap. That's my contribution to battlejump tech, even if it doesn't particularly help the decisive strike situation. Flashy, if impractical.

Soranar
2020-04-30, 06:46 AM
Flashy, if impractical

Yeah that's the whole story with that feat. Decisive strike is ok (since you can pull off a battlefield control option fairly easily) but using battlejump reliably is nigh impossible.

hallway with a low ceiling, nothing you can do
open field with no walls or trees... maybe jump off a flying mount or something (which is a dubious tactic that you can't repeat round after round)

Compare that to a simple mounted rider using a lance, that works most of the time and eventually (once your mount gains a way to ignore difficult terrain) it works pretty much all the time. And that didn't cost a feat.