PDA

View Full Version : Curse of Strahd on Roll20

Velaryon
2020-04-29, 11:01 PM
Apologies if this is the wrong place for this question, since it's a question about a 5e module I didn't see a better place to ask.

I've recently taken up Roll20 in order to keep playing D&D while we're all socially isolated at home. I'm trying to run Curse of Strahd with my group of library teens, and I've run into an issue.

In Dungeon of the Mad Mage (which I'm running with friends) I can drag a monster out from the journal and plunk it right down on the map with everything all ready to work - attacks, spells, HP, AC, picture on the token, all of it. That does not seem to be the case with Curse of Strahd. It seems that if I want to place any monsters in this adventure, I have to make them from scratch.

However, it does look like a lot of tokens have been pre-placed on most of the maps. This would be fine with me, except many of them are grayed out and I can't click on them, move them, or anything. Can anybody tell me what's going on here? Is there a way to place monsters in this adventure without making them entirely from scratch? And how can I use tokens that are pre-placed if they're grayed out?

Thanks in advance.

huttj509
2020-04-29, 11:17 PM
Apologies if this is the wrong place for this question, since it's a question about a 5e module I didn't see a better place to ask.

I've recently taken up Roll20 in order to keep playing D&D while we're all socially isolated at home. I'm trying to run Curse of Strahd with my group of library teens, and I've run into an issue.

In Dungeon of the Mad Mage (which I'm running with friends) I can drag a monster out from the journal and plunk it right down on the map with everything all ready to work - attacks, spells, HP, AC, picture on the token, all of it. That does not seem to be the case with Curse of Strahd. It seems that if I want to place any monsters in this adventure, I have to make them from scratch.

However, it does look like a lot of tokens have been pre-placed on most of the maps. This would be fine with me, except many of them are grayed out and I can't click on them, move them, or anything. Can anybody tell me what's going on here? Is there a way to place monsters in this adventure without making them entirely from scratch? And how can I use tokens that are pre-placed if they're grayed out?

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm, haven't run the module in question in roll20, but a few suggestions that may have been missed (the equivalent of "check the cables").

Are you connected as GM, or did you connect as player accidentally?

Are the greyed out tokens on a different layer, like a GM layer? I think for the toolbar there should be an icon between the pointer and the brush that controls what layer you're on.

If you can access the tokens (if they were on a different layer), see if you can get their stat sheet from the token. Unfortunately my experience with Roll20 as a GM was not with one of the 5e modules, so I don't know all the ins and outs there.

ShinyRocks
2020-04-30, 08:22 AM
I'm in Curse of Strahd on Roll20 as a player, and my DM has definitely had some problems with the tokens. She can see them when we can't, or she can't move them, and so on. In her case, it's definitely the layers being a bit weird and I think she had to toggle between them, but obviously can't be certain.

Dork_Forge
2020-04-30, 08:27 AM
Greyed out tokens indicates that they're on the GM info layer and need to be moved (go to GM info layer> right click token> layer> Object and token layer>switch back to object and token layer).

I believe all WoTC Roll20 modules should have a beastiary (section in the journal for prebuilt monsters), are you sure it's the full module, not just a map pack?

Sception
2020-04-30, 09:29 AM
I am also running CoS on r20 during the quarantine, and I have not had these problems.

There is a monster section in the journal, it's one of the folders towards the bottom. I have to click and hold on the monster's *name* and drag it onto the map to spawn a token. It doesn't work if I try to drag the picture of the token itself.

I'm not sure about all the stats and abilities, though, as I don't normally use that particular functionality.

47Ace
2020-04-30, 10:58 AM
I am also running CoS on r20 during the quarantine, and I have not had these problems.

There is a monster section in the journal, it's one of the folders towards the bottom. I have to click and hold on the monster's *name* and drag it onto the map to spawn a token. It doesn't work if I try to drag the picture of the token itself.

I'm not sure about all the stats and abilities, though, as I don't normally use that particular functionality.

I have has the same experience as you running it.

I will also echo the it's on the GM layer most likely for the greyed out tokens.

Velaryon
2020-04-30, 11:43 AM
Okay, thanks for the help everyone. It turns out that the issue was they were on the GM layer, which I just haven't had any experience playing with layers yet. When running DotMM since it's a big dungeon crawl, I just use fog of war and blackout all the areas they haven't explored yet, and stashed my monsters behind walls, outside the map, etc. until I need them and then just dragged them into place. I guess the layer thing is just another built-in way of doing something similar, so I will have to learn more of that.

And now I see the monster tokens too. I guess last time it was either bugged, or I was searching for monsters that aren't included with this adventure. I think I will be able to run it now, thanks!

I am INCREDIBLY relieved that I won't have to make all the monster tokens randomly, as I thought at first. That was almost enough for me to drop the adventure & do something else instead.

Sception
2020-05-01, 06:36 AM
The beyond20 add on for chrome & firefox also lets you roll attacks and abilities straight from a character or monster on dndbeyond into your chat window on roll20 as well. It lets you avoid having to load all the attacks and such for new monsters or characters into roll20 if you use anything that isn't already in the campaign.