PDA

View Full Version : Fiendish Resilience vs. magic weapons

Greywander
2020-04-30, 12:50 AM
If you use Fiendish Resilience to give yourself resistance to fire damage, and you get struck by a Flame Tongue, you still take full fire damage from the weapon.

Discuss.

Darc_Vader
2020-04-30, 01:16 AM
If you use Fiendish Resilience to give yourself resistance to fire damage, and you get struck by a Flame Tongue, you still take full fire damage from the weapon.

Discuss.
I was going to disagree with you, but looking at the actual ability, I think that this is 100% correct. The only argument against it would be if the ‘damage from magical or silver weapons’ clause only accounts for the weapon’s damage and not the additional damage from the enchantment.

Greywander
2020-04-30, 01:22 AM
I know, right? Clearly this isn't intended... is it?

Regardless, if you use it to get resistance to one of BPS, then it becomes a nonissue. And it would still be rare for someone to just happen to have a magical weapon that deals the same damage type as the one you got resistance to from Fiendish Resilience. Still, it's an interesting loophole to be sure.

DrKerosene
2020-04-30, 02:10 AM
I was going to disagree with you, but looking at the actual ability, I think that this is 100% correct. The only argument against it would be if the ‘damage from magical or silver weapons’ clause only accounts for the weapon’s damage and not the additional damage from the enchantment.

I figured Fiendish Resilience is intended to be used to resist elemental damage (or radiant, necrotic, or force), and if you want resistance to (magical or silver) BPS you have the cantrip Blade Ward for that. Or maybe a dip into Barbarian for Rage.

Greywander
2020-04-30, 02:17 AM
I figured Fiendish Resilience is intended to be used to resist elemental damage (or radiant, necrotic, or force), and if you want resistance to (magical or silver) BPS you have the cantrip Blade Ward for that. Or maybe a dip into Barbarian for Rage.
Blade Ward uses your action, and you can't cast spells while raging.

But the point of this thread was me noticing that even using Fiendish Resilience to gain resistance to an elemental damage type would still be bypasses by a magic weapon dealing that damage type. Other conventions used in 5e lead me to believe that they perhaps meant to say that the magic weapon exception only applied if you got resistance to one of BPS, but they way it's written it applies to all damage types, not just BPS damage. With resistance to fire damage, for example, a Flame Tongue would bypass that. Now, you're not likely to encounter a monster using a magic weapon that deals damage of that specific type of element, it's just interesting that the loophole exists.