PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying What ability score is creativty/arty-ness?

TigerT20
2020-04-30, 03:04 PM
The title sums it up really.

What stat would someone who focuses on painting/crafting/art have as their primary stat?
Gnomes and artificers seem to point it towards Intelligence, but many of the finer tools need Dexterity. Arguably, Charisma is a contender thanks to Bards and the idea of projecting your personality through your work.

So if I were to create Vincent Van Gogh or Rohan Kishibe in DnD 5e, what stat would I want to use to represent how good an artist they are? How would I represent their creativity?

PS: If anyone dares mention that I could just use painters supplies and then call it a day, I'll politely ask them to not stray offtopic and actually answer the question

stoutstien
2020-04-30, 03:06 PM
I would say a mix of int, Wis, and Dex.
Artificer can use painters supplies as a spell focus so there that also. They paint so well it comes alive.

Sam113097
2020-04-30, 03:21 PM
The title sums it up really.

What stat would someone who focuses on painting/crafting/art have as their primary stat?
Gnomes and artificers seem to point it towards Intelligence, but many of the finer tools need Dexterity. Arguably, Charisma is a contender thanks to Bards and the idea of projecting your personality through your work.

So if I were to create Vincent Van Gogh or Rohan Kishibe in DnD 5e, what stat would I want to use to represent how good an artist they are? How would I represent their creativity?

PS: If anyone dares mention that I could just use painters supplies and then call it a day, I'll politely ask them to not stray offtopic and actually answer the question

I would say crafting and painting/art are pretty distinct. To me, crafting would be primarily Intelligence. Art would be closer to Charisma, or perhaps Wisdom - Dexterity plays a small part, but is not necessarily determining artistic ability. I think a painter Bard could be a really interesting concept!

clash
2020-04-30, 03:23 PM
I would group art things under performance in general.

JackPhoenix
2020-04-30, 03:28 PM
Anything you want. Creativity is independant of D&D ability scores.

ftafp
2020-04-30, 03:32 PM
While pure creativity falls under Intelligence, actual painting skills are better represented through proficiency and expertise in 5e. Were this 3.5 I'd say wisdom is what you'd go for since that's what craft and profession checks were based off of and wisdom is often the ability score associated with discipline and practice.

That said, wisdom isn't the clearest indicator. In the case of Rohan, wisdom seems especially accurate, as Heaven's Door was a manifestation of Rohan's desire to max out his Intuition score. For Van Gogh however, wisdom becomes murkier because madness is usually a side effect of a severe wisdom penalty. I don't know enough about Van Gogh to tell you one way or another, but I'd say his painting came from charisma rather than wisdom. One of the good things about 5e is that skills and proficiencies aren't strictly tied to any ability score, only loosely associated, so you can use whatever ability makes sense.

Supposedly Plato was famous for having a ridiculous bonus to Strength (Philosophy)

Tanarii
2020-05-01, 12:03 AM
Player creativity in describing what they're doing to the DM bypasses the need to make a ability check completely.

NorthernPhoenix
2020-05-01, 07:09 AM
Generally i'd say crowd facing arts like singing and dancing and such go under charisma, while technical arts like sculpture and painting go under intelligence. Some niche cases might be exceptions (Dexterity-Performance for capoeira?) but these are what i'd begin with.

Arkhios
2020-05-01, 07:32 AM
Depends how intuitive it is for you and how you express it.

Visual arts, such as drawing, painting, and sculpting depends a lot on the person's intuition. Wisdom is best to represent intuition.
Audible arts, such as music and acting are more about captivating the audience with your performance, and I would say Charisma plays much bigger role in this regard.
Intelligence in my opinion is the least relevant score on its own, but rather supports the other two: Wis and Cha.
Anything that requires a lot of planning and practice such as architecture or music would rely on Intelligence more, but would still rely on your intuition (wis) or performance (cha) as well.

Morty
2020-05-01, 07:38 AM
I agree that assigning a single ability score to it is a poor idea. If a character's creative expression requires a roll, you should assign one based on the circumstances and means of expression.

Lockwolfe
2020-05-01, 08:32 AM
If I had to pick one for painting/drawing I would probably say Wisdom. For me, my art tends to improve as a result of observation and intuition, both of which seem to fall in the domain of Wisdom. Just my personal opinion though. Creativity and art don’t neatly fall under any stat.

If you want to make Rohan, however, I would make an Artificer and pick the Archivist subclass from Unearthed Arcana. Make Manifest Mind a tiny Heaven’s Door. Only if your DM allows UA of course.

Player: Am I allowed to use Unearthed Arcana?

DM: DAGA KOTOWARU

Chronos
2020-05-01, 03:08 PM
Even just sticking to painting, it varies. Art based on a clever tessellation, or an intricate pattern, like M. C. Escher, is based on Int. Art that doesn't actually resemble anything real, but which speaks to the viewer on an emotional level, like Munch's Scream, is Cha.

KorvinStarmast
2020-05-02, 09:07 PM
Anything you want. Creativity is independent of D&D ability scores. Perfect answer to the question. +1