PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New illusion cantrip for trickster wizards and smart bards

SinkMaster
2020-04-30, 05:46 PM
Hello guys,
Have been playing dnd 5e for a while now, but this is the first time asking for opinions online. The reason for reaching for you now is that i'm playing a game with a GM much newer to the game than I am and I dont want to "trick him" with overpowered stuff. But I'm playing a ressurected version of my first D&D character: a wizard, and I really want to create some more personal spells. We are going to start in some weeks and i have already started to create some stuff.
Guido is a young, charismatic illusion wizard with a charlatan background.
The following cantrip is looselly based on friends.

Guido's Edge
Illusion cantrip
Casting Time:1 minute
Range:30ft
Duration:1 action, concentration
Components:S, M (One card from a card game's set or other tool used by mundane magicians)
You create a harmless illusion to try to distract a creature within range. You need to wave your hands in distracting ways while casting this spell. The spell is undetectable when casted, except by magic means.

The target must suceed on a inteligence saving thrown agains your spell DC. On a successful save, the spell ends and the creature is immune to this magic for the next minute. On a failed save, you have advantage on your next dexterity(sleight of hand) or charisma(deception) test directed at the creature.

Ps.: Sorry for my bad english.

Zarrgon
2020-04-30, 09:09 PM
Guido's Edge

Looks ok.....might even be underpowered. The casting time is very long, and does not really need to be. So you can go with more of a standard casting time.

SinkMaster
2020-05-02, 06:21 PM
Looks ok.....might even be underpowered. The casting time is very long, and does not really need to be. So you can go with more of a standard casting time.

Thanks. Changed that bit. Dont want to create a powerfull one, just something tematic for the character. He is a illusion wizard, so he gains a extra cantrip anyway.

Segev
2020-05-02, 07:50 PM
Weirdly, where it's next to useless as a combat spell, the construction of true strike would work just fine here.

True Strike
Illusion cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: S, M (One card from a card game's set or other tool used by mundane magicians)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round

You flourish your hand and the material component, causing a brief distraction for a target within range who can see you. Your magic causes them to pay less attention to what else you're doing beyond the flourish. You gain advantage on the next sleight of hand check you make against the target of this spell before the end of your next turn.

SinkMaster
2020-05-03, 10:33 AM
The THING with this spell is that it can not be detected. My DM is very fun of “only sorcerers can do magic stealthlly”. Thats is why there is the save tast

Segev
2020-05-03, 12:03 PM
The THING with this spell is that it can not be detected. My DM is very fun of “only sorcerers can do magic stealthlly”. Thats is why there is the save tast

In that case, this really is something you need to discuss with your DM. When he's being a stickler for how to rule on something, wording a spell is only going to matter insofar as he allows the wording to work. So your best bet is to discuss with him what you want it to do, and get his approval for it working like that.