PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next A couple of homebrew spell ideas, need help developing

Laevatein
2020-04-30, 08:36 PM
Okay, got a couple of ideas for spells, and need help statting them out.

First idea: A spell (probably a Ritual) that causes all damage in an area to be nonlethal, or creatures reduced to 0HP to automatically stabilize. This was originally intended to be a background element for a fighting tournament the PCs were involved in (so the participants wouldn't be at risk of killing each other), in which case I wouldn't really need to stat out the spell, but I then realised it was potentially useful in battle and thus the PCs might like to have access to such a spell themselves. In-story, it's for a grand melee at a major festival, and several clerics would have cast it in concert in order to cover a large area.

Second idea: Wall of Silence. This was actually inspired by church confessionals, and is basically a lesser version of the Silence spell (so probably 1st level), creating a wall that sound can't pass through, but sound created inside the wall can still be heard (so that the faithful can confess their sins without risk of being overheard).

Any suggestions for hard stats?

SinkMaster
2020-05-02, 06:58 PM
Ok, lets see... I like the first one. I had this problem once while I was DMing and solved by just ignoring th "killing factor" because "It's just a tournament".

It is, indeed, a somewhat usefull spell in battle. maybe think of it as a area of spare the dying?:
Lvl 3 abjuration, concentration, 10 minutes, 30ft radius? when a creature drops while in the area of effect it stabilizes.

When casted at higher levels the area expands? maybe 20ft radius per level?

A stable creature is incapacitated for 1hour or more. A combat will be over sooner and the enemies culd just hit the creature again after combat is over. So it does not unballance combats, I think. Lvl 3 because it's easier to lower the level than it is to raise it. Better to test a underpower spell than a overpowered.

Meybe another aproach would be to make the damage nonlethal. In his case I would just add that a creature must be willing to make it's damage nonlethal, but it makes the spell not usefull in combat. So, maybe, Lvl1.

The second spell I think is covered by the message cantrip.

Sorry for the bad english.