PDA

View Full Version : Feat to hide as a free action?

Vrel
2007-10-25, 12:12 PM
is there a balanced way to grant a feat to allow Hiding to be done as a free action? I have a skirmish type encounter using the Maerla homebrew race that i created (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58075). My only problem is i want them to be able to hit and run and not be seen easily...stalking what they consider to be "invaders" from the shadows.

my thought is this:

Disappearing act [Feat]
Prerequisites: Hide in plain sight, hide (18 ranks)
Benefit: as a free action, you may attempt to hide as long as there is some form of cover, albeit at a -5 penalty.

homebrewing feats is not my forte...

Kayoden Usoden
2007-10-25, 12:30 PM
Thank the gods for +75lbs. of DnD books.

Disappearing act (general)

Prerequisite: Hide 8 ranks, Dex. 13+
Benefit: You gain the ability to use the hide skill as a free action with a –10 penalty.

Improved Disappearing Act (epic)

Prerequisite: Hide 30 ranks, Dex. 25+, Disappearing Act, Stealthy
Benefit: You can use the Hide skill as a free action with no penalty

Greater Disappearing Act (epic)

Prerequisite: Hide 43 ranks, Dex. 30+, Improved Disappearing Act, Disappearing Act, Epic Skill Focus, Stealthy
Benefit: You can use the Hide skill as an immediate action (or a swift action, I forgot which one is faster) with no penalty.

Riffington
2007-10-25, 12:54 PM
Or, since you just homebrewed a race, you could add that to their racial powers.
But it's a strong power. Which is fine for NPCs, but think thrice before letting any players get hold of it.

Captain van der Decken
2007-10-25, 12:57 PM
Why Epic? It simply reduces the action you take to do it. Like, say, Improved Feint. Give it some tough prereqs or penalties, if you're afraid it'd be overpowered.

Edit: That was in reply to a post that's now gone.

Swift is a 1/round free action, immediate is a free action on any turn.

Jasdoif
2007-10-25, 01:00 PM
Edit: Swift is a 1/round free action, immediate is a free action on any turn.Immediate is also once per round, it uses up your swift action on the next turn if you use it between turns.

Captain van der Decken
2007-10-25, 01:01 PM
Ah, you've got me there.

Hide in plain sight? You don't really need that as a pre-req (why can't someone hide quickly behind a tree, instead of in a shadow?). I'd go for skill focus (hide).

Vrel
2007-10-25, 01:04 PM
Thank the gods for +75lbs. of DnD books.

Disappearing act (general)

Prerequisite: Hide 8 ranks, Dex. 13+
Benefit: You gain the ability to use the hide skill as a free action with a –10 penalty.

Improved Disappearing Act (epic)

Prerequisite: Hide 30 ranks, Dex. 25+, Disappearing Act, Stealthy
Benefit: You can use the Hide skill as a free action with no penalty

Greater Disappearing Act (epic)

Prerequisite: Hide 43 ranks, Dex. 30+, Improved Disappearing Act, Disappearing Act, Epic Skill Focus, Stealthy
Benefit: You can use the Hide skill as an immediate action (or a swift action, I forgot which one is faster) with no penalty.

you be awesome. that is perfect.