PDA

View Full Version : A "Willpower" pool as an alternative to Legendary saves

Greywander
2020-05-01, 03:47 AM
I was reading the "Best/Worst Changes in 5e" thread and someone was talking about Legendary resistance and how mages basically contribute nothing if the monster never fails a save before combat ends, whereas at least the martials are wearing down its HP. So this got me to thinking about using something like HP, but for saves.

So you might have a pool of points, let's call it "Willpower". If you fail a save, then you can spend points to gain a bonus to the save and pass. For example, if you spend 5 points, you get a +5 bonus. This way, if a monster fails by a lot, the DM might decide not to burn so much willpower to autopass the save. Also, instead of being a set number of autopasses, they could burn through willpower faster or slower than legendary saves.

You could also give this to players. Maybe they get willpower equal to their level (or proficiency bonus). Perhaps the DM doesn't tell them how much willpower they'll have to spend to pass (just asking if they will or won't), and if they don't have enough then spending all their willpower lets them reroll (giving a second chance instead of an autopass).

I just thought of this kind of quickly, so I haven't thought to much about how well it would work. What do you guys think?

FabulousFizban
2020-05-01, 03:59 AM
congrats, you created the stamina bar.