PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon Crafters Guild ... suggestions?

bean illus
2020-05-01, 11:45 AM
It's one of those ideas that seems obvious once you see it, so I'm not surprised if there's a thread. For me, I'm just understanding it.

It's the floating feat for of course, but expand the concept to Extraordinary Artisan, asap. Now the floating feat can be flipped to any crafting feat. It's still an open feat for most of table time, so only cost 1 feat to pull off. It happens in 3 levels.

Now you're part of the Chameleon Crafters Guild!
Sixty five percent off anything your funky chameleon spell list can craft.

Expectations:
Only items made restricted to Chameleon class, with a relevant skill can be traded at cost at our famous Secret Chameleon Crafters Guild Barter Fair and at annual Guild meetings.

Benefits:
You're invited to our famous Secret Chameleon Crafters Guild Barter Fair. There you will receive the best advice there is on spell selection and cost analysis!

What suggestions can we get? Obviously, it's DM dependent. Assuming a kind DM, all the simple groovy items are 0.35%.

What groovy items does every chameleon want?

Haversack, haste, hunter's mercy wand, these are easy to calculate, and to assume are littered throughout a guild members WBL.

But also, what clever suggestions for Chameleon Crafter Guild old favorites or recent discoveries? What low spell level access needs taken advantage of?

I'm brainstorming, not designing encounters, or anything like that.

Khedrac
2020-05-01, 12:48 PM
I did make a detailed chameleon build with the plan for him to craft his own items using the float feat, but it doesn't work automatically. :smallannoyed:

The problem is that the crafting feats tend to have pre-requisites like "caster level 3" (craft wondrous item) and, without levels in another spellcasting class, a chameleon doesn't qualify.

You can’t use any abilities gained from your aptitude focus, ability boon, or mimic class feature abilities to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other option. You can use your bonus feat to qualify for such options, but if you change the feat, you suffer the normal drawbacks for no longer meeting a prerequisite or requirement.

So, you need to build your chameleon on a caster chassis for this to work (or warlock/dfagonfire adept) at which point why did you go chameleon?
(My chameleon's entry was rogue 3 swordsage 2.)

OK, so assuming you have built your chameleon with an intrinsic caster level then...

Step 1 is probably a belt of magnificence - I know that virtually no characters really require a full boost to all characteristics, but the chameleon is the one that does!
Personally I would throw on a hat of disguise - rememebr you are going for style here.

If your DM is allowing you wealth by level for your starting wealth of a high-level character, being able to create items does not help you get more items for your money.
Wealth by level is not an amount you can spend to equip your character. It is how much all your goods are currently worth - which remains the same independent of how you got them.
What being able to create your own items does, enable you to justify having items a DM otherwise might not allow you to find as "too rare".

Vizzerdrix
2020-05-01, 12:58 PM
Im a fan of mystic ranger 2, human paragon 3 to start.

As for goodies, a load of alchemicals can be handy to have. As well as a few healing belts. And eager, warning boot knife. Travelers cloak (fun fact: Way under priced for the effect of having a gallon of tea per day! Has some other abilities but who cares. TEA!)

As for things to bring to the fair, eternal wands and schema. Maybe an enchanted scepter or two, just for the novelty of it. Something most won't think of is masterwork clothing and leather goods. Potion belts, knife vests, bandoliers. (To be honest, if I was planning on making a healing belt, I would do it out of a potion belt for the extra utility.) It would provide others with the masterwork items for enchanting and provide you with more networking options.

WhamBamSam
2020-05-01, 11:20 PM
There are a number of decent options for getting a CL to qualify for stuff outside of Chameleon casting. Cloistered Cleric and Abrupt Jaunt Feat Wizard are both solid dips for the Chameleon entry ramp as well. Factotum 5 is a bad breakpoint, but Factotum 3 is a good one and that gets you the 3 you need for Craft Wondrous Item. Honestly, I'd expect most Chameleon builds to shrug off qualification concerns in practice.

Binder/Chameleon is a solid crafter, with potentially 2 floating crafting feats between Chameleon and Astaroth (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a) and Silverbrow Human both makes Disguise a class skill to qualify for Chameleon and gives you a CL via the racial Feather Fall SLA.

bean illus
2020-05-02, 02:53 PM
... crafting feats tend to have pre-requisites like "caster level 3" (craft wondrous item) and, without levels in another spellcasting class, a chameleon doesn't qualify.

So, you need to build your chameleon on a caster chassis for this to work (or warlock/dfagonfire adept) at which point why did you go chameleon?

Oh yeah. I know that. Lol, know it better now. Darnit.

Not many options ... a few.

Wealth by level is not an amount you can spend to equip your character. It is how much all your goods are currently worth - which remains the same independent of how you got them.
What being able to create your own items does, enable you to justify having items a DM otherwise might not allow you to find as "too rare".

Yeah, but being able spam expendables is balanced by wbl, so what expendables or strange/unique spell access might a chameleon spam? Utility has its uses too.

Through the illusion of wbl, and access to the guild, one gets stoneskin for 26 gp, while a wiz pays 75-210 per charge.

The chameleon list is littered with 5th level wand spells, and even some 6th. Phantom Steed for 75 gp?

And yes, now you have a groovy way to exuse some fun utility. It's not game breaking, but Chameleon can find one easy at the Secret Barter Fair.

Im a fan of mystic ranger 2, human paragon 3 to start.

As for things to bring to the fair, eternal wands and schema. Maybe an enchanted scepter or two, just for the novelty of it. Something most won't think of is masterwork clothing and leather goods. Potion belts, knife vests, bandoliers. (To be honest, if I was planning on making a healing belt, I would do it out of a potion belt for the extra utility.) It would provide others with the masterwork items for enchanting and provide you with more networking options.

Potion Belt of Healing. Nice.

There are a number of decent options for getting a CL to qualify for stuff outside of Chameleon casting. Cloistered Cleric and Abrupt Jaunt Feat Wizard are both solid dips for the Chameleon entry ramp as well. Factotum 5 is a bad breakpoint, but Factotum 3 is a good one and that gets you the 3 you need for Craft Wondrous Item. Honestly, I'd expect most Chameleon builds to shrug off qualification concerns in practice.

Binder/Chameleon is a solid crafter, with potentially 2 floating crafting feats between Chameleon and Astaroth (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a) and Silverbrow Human both makes Disguise a class skill to qualify for Chameleon and gives you a CL via the racial Feather Fall SLA.

Nice Bindermeleon crafter.

I figure the 4th level spells in wands is the minimum success point. That's Chameleon break points at 5, 7, and 9. 5 more for entry.

How is Binder caster level calculated? From SLA access? Half class level?

Bphill561
2020-05-02, 08:05 PM
Nice Bindermeleon crafter.

I figure the 4th level spells in wands is the minimum success point. That's Chameleon break points at 5, 7, and 9. 5 more for entry.

How is Binder caster level calculated? From SLA access? Half class level?

The crafting level is under Astroth, it is equal to your effective binder level. Since Astroth requires level 4 vestiges, you need all 5 binder levels plus use the binder bonus feat to get the +2 effective binder levels to allow 4th level binds.

Master Craftsman: While bound to Astaroth, you gain a +4 competence bonus on all Craft checks. In addition, each time you bind with Astaroth, you may select one item creation feat as a temporary bonus feat. So long as you continue to bind with Astaroth, you may use that feat as though you possessed it normally; you must still spend all standard gold and XP for any item you create, and you must still provide all necessary spells for a given item.

If your effective binder level is not at least as high as the necessary caster level to take a specific item creation feat, you cannot choose that feat. For instance, a 4th-level binder could not choose any item creation feat with a prerequisite of caster level 5th or higher.

I guess that second part might be in general for all feats you take; if not, then your only end up with one bonus feat from the binder. So if you go 5 Binder/10 Cham/5 binder you will get your effective level to 12 for all crafting feats eventually.

Caster Entry

For the spell caster entry, don't forgot the Practiced spell caster feat which will eventually get you a +4. If you really want to push it for ring and staff crafting, Illimian's in the same Races of Destiny book can get an additional +2 to caster level with the right sigils selected. Neither exceed your HD, so something like Caster 5/Chameleon 6/Caster 1 would put grant a caster level of 12. You also don't need to take the practiced spell caster feat at any particular level.

Beguiler or Bard both have the skills starting and caster level. With unusual feats (Flexible mind, etc) you could get more skills on your list for other bases. Wizard and archivist would get you craft scroll so you qualify for any secondary crafting feats. Wizard 5 will give you another feat. That level 12 caster level on the end could easily be from the Mindbender PrC. The previously mentioned Human Paragon works too, but you would need to delay a level of chameleon due to the lost caster level.

Dragon Mag

Dragon magazine also has the Sculpt Self feat in Dragon 304. It basically is self enchanting without gp costs, but heavier xp cost. Some of the sculpts give you the ability to cast a spell (not spell like) at a specific caster level. Another enter Chameleon with any class option if the caster level is sufficient for your needs.

Do Spell-like ability caster levels qualify for magic item creation feats?

More Dragon, there is the Eldritch Master in Dragon 280. If you have a caster level of 5, you can enter. It does not progress spell casting, but at level 3 it grants a spell slot one level higher than you can currently cast in one of your classes. With the Chameleon bonus feat, take sanctum spell and apply to one of your level 6 spells then go to level 3 eldritch master to get an 8th level spell. Line it up with character level 18, you can take extra spell slot to pick up the 7th level spell slot. I know, dragon cheese...

Stuff to do!

Remember all of your aberrant crafting feats. Craft Rune Circle in Races of the stone is awesome if you have a base. Make a magical effect at 1/8 the cost if it is utility you don't need to take with your all the time. If you want to cheese it up, make a floating tree (Tree token) over your rune circle and cast Acorn of Far travel. I suggest a levitating small collar with sustenance to stick on your tree, very scenic (watch for flying books coming from DM).

Sanctify relic is another interesting crafting feat. Burn a spell slot to reduce the price of items you create. Even more fun to mix with the rune circle, you only need to burn the spell slot when in base using your rune circle.

Bone talisman spell would be useful to have around for turning. http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a

Research Aid spell in dragon magazine 342 reduces crafting times by 50%. If you want to push it, tack Stoneblessed 3/Maester 1 on the tail end to push your crafting time per day to 2,000gp plus a bonus crafting feat.

Effigy Creatures would also be fun to craft in complete arcane. There are extra construct options in dragon 327 that lets you add additional abilities. As well as the sacred guardian in the Beastery of Krynn.

Overall though it seems you would want to pick up craft wondrous feat to open up selecting others

WhamBamSam
2020-05-02, 11:28 PM
Do Spell-like ability caster levels qualify for magic item creation feats?The feat prerequisites only say caster level, not anything about where said caster level comes from. So a (Sp) ability, or even a (Su) ability that explicitly has a caster level (such as one that emulates a spell) qualifies.

Bphill561
2020-05-03, 12:17 AM
The feat prerequisites only say caster level, not anything about where said caster level comes from. So a (Sp) ability, or even a (Su) ability that explicitly has a caster level (such as one that emulates a spell) qualifies.

I have seen it argued both ways, RAW seems like it should allow it. I am just always hoping someone has a better rules quote than the simple stuff under spells, spell-like, and supernatural in the srd.

WhamBamSam
2020-05-03, 12:22 AM
I have seen it argued both ways, RAW seems like it should allow it. I am just always hoping someone has a better rules quote than the simple stuff under spells, spell-like, and supernatural in the srd.Warlocks are clearly intended to be able to take crafting feats based on their Imbue Item ability, and they only have a caster level from SLAs.

bean illus
2020-05-03, 01:44 PM
I wanna make a longer post responding to all the good builds mentioned, but I want to point out a surprising synergy with Duskblade.

Besides caster level and full bab, and all the break points for both classes lining up perfectly, is int synergy to skills, which makes chameleon entry at 11 cost zero extra.

But chameleon also fixes one of duskblade's biggest holes, which is access to touch spells to channel. Chameleon 7 has 'all' of them, and Double Aptitude.

Another nice synergy is the universal access to swift and immediate spells (http://www.imarvintpa.com/DnDLive/SearchList.php). Marvin list over 120? A Duskblade can take full advantage of that. Many are ranged, filling another whole in Duskblade, and many melee and etc.

The build gets really all of Duskblade's and Chameleon's best class features. I consider it an improvement on either class.

Though entering the Chameleon Crafters Guild relatively late, it cost only Able Learner and Extraordinary Artisan. Practiced Spellcaster is suggested. Power Attack, maybe.

She spams standard action spells from wands, swift and immediate spells, and full attack touch spells, all from any list.

Might as well ...

Demoralize - Fearsome Armor
Teleport - Some Spells?
Move Spell's Effect - Flaming Sphere, Ball Lightning, Spiritual Weapon, etc.
Handle or Push an animal - Handle Animal skill
Gain Concealment - Shrouded Dance skill trick
Retrieve Item (wand/etc) - from Handy Haversack and similar
Draw/Sheathe Weapon**
Get up from prone**

**Provokes AoOs

She acquires Wand Gloves at her first meet. She picks up Bracers of Truestrike 3/day while she's there.

If Celerity is on a wand, what happens? Who gets dazed, the wand wielder? How do you recover? Quick Recovery? Celerity on a wand sounds like a great way to buff allies with battle field control.
Of course i like this formula (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?524212-Celerity-and-Quick-Recovery), for a save of 15.

Nifft
2020-05-03, 03:02 PM
If Celerity is on a wand, what happens? Who gets dazed, the wand wielder? Yes, if the wand wielder triggered the wand and the wand wielder isn't immune to Dazed.

How do you recover? Mark of the Dauntless* makes you immune to Dazed.

* (Some Eberron required. Consult your DM before using.)

Endarire
2020-05-03, 05:21 PM
Practiced Spellcaster helps.