PDA

View Full Version : MC eldritch knight - Hexblade warlock ?

da newt
2020-05-01, 06:51 PM
I'm interested in creating a formidable DPR EK - a skirmisher / melee fighter who hits hard and moves, then has great defense due to SHIELD, ABSORB ELEMENTS etc.

I have a pretty good idea how to do this as a EK single class (dex based, shadow blade, familiar, BB, war-caster, ...) similar to what I believe are LudicSavant's soul-knife ideals.

Is there anything significant to gain from a HEXBLADE dip for CHA SADness etc that would make it worth the MC?

Satori01
2020-05-01, 07:32 PM
War Magic from the EK mixes well with Eldritch Blast.

EB keeps your number of attacks on par with a Fighter, War Magic grants you a weapon attack on top of this.

MaxWilson
2020-05-01, 07:55 PM
I'm interested in creating a formidable DPR EK - a skirmisher / melee fighter who hits hard and moves, then has great defense due to SHIELD, ABSORB ELEMENTS etc.

I have a pretty good idea how to do this as a EK single class (dex based, shadow blade, familiar, BB, war-caster, ...) similar to what I believe are LudicSavant's soul-knife ideals.

Is there anything significant to gain from a HEXBLADE dip for CHA SADness etc that would make it worth the MC?

Note that Hexblades aren't really SAD the same way fighters are--you still rely on Dex or Str for AC, and either initiative or grappling. So you're increasing your MADness but getting lots of spells and invocations in exchange.

Do it if you want to lean harder on the magic and less on the weapons, but don't lean too hard or you'll wind up playing a pure Hexblade instead. :) Which is a perfectly valid choice, it's just not the Fighter you were aiming for.

Expired
2020-05-01, 08:24 PM
If you think you will reach level 20, straight EK Fighter is more ideal than a dip in Hexblade Warlock. EB is a good cantrip, but you can choose Firebolt without the dip and it has good range and respectable damage.

Corran
2020-05-02, 02:47 AM
Shadow blade works well with many attacks, so I'd go EK all the way (although EK 11/ sorcerer 9 is probably competitive). Dex is good as a main stat (especially since you want to spend your action attacking), so you don't gain anything by relying on cha for attacks (especially since you want to rely on shadow blade for your concentration and since you'd probably want to go up to fighter 11 for enough attacks to make it worth it). BB might find some use during levels 7-10 (especially if you are mobile enough by then; either through the mobile feat or through misty step), but it will be hard to keep using BB once you get more attacks and higher level slots with which you'll plan to use SB.

RSP
2020-05-02, 03:02 AM
I’m not sure you’re getting all that much from the Warlock, unless you’re taking it 3 levels for SB right off the bat.

Keep in mind, the Hexblade’s Cha as an attack stat doesn’t work with SB as SB lasts for 1 minute but Hex Warrior requires a 1-hour bonding period to allow a weapon to use Cha for attacks.

Alternatively, you could just go Bladesinger for 3 levels for SB, Bladesong (+Int to AC) and more spell slots, then continue with EK. This is probably more efficient than Warlock, though there’s a lot to like in getting 2 SR SB slots and invocations, even if not using Hex Warrior.

da newt
2020-05-02, 07:45 AM
I don't see the 1 hr clause in Hex Warrior - it just says after a long rest touch a weapon ... IF you use shadow blade as that weapon do you only get to use CHA for one summoning, or would it count when you recast it later on (is the shadow blade the same weapon or a different weapon every time - probably a DM call)

I was thinking having EB would be nice for when you don't want to be in melee, you could be mostly CHA SAD (still need some CON and DEX), you could get Shadow Blade much sooner and 2x/short rest, and whatever invocations/pact you take - but then you delay SB upcast and multi attack etc ...

Blade singer is an interesting option too.

I'm trying to figure out a good SB user build. I was thinking straight EK, Hi-elf for BB at lvl 1 and EA feat at lvl 4, (or Goblin for BA disengage), then I thought there might be a better MC out there maybe ...

RSP
2020-05-02, 05:18 PM
I don't see the 1 hr clause in Hex Warrior - it just says after a long rest touch a weapon ... IF you use shadow blade as that weapon do you only get to use CHA for one summoning, or would it count when you recast it later on (is the shadow blade the same weapon or a different weapon every time - probably a DM call)

Apologies, confused Pact of the Blade and Hex Warrior. Yes, Hex Warrior applies when you finish a long rest. The exact wording is “Whenever you finish a long rest.” This is different than “after a long rest.” You’d basically have to cast SB right before your LR ended to be touching it when the LR ends.

Whether or not each casting is a different weapon would indeed be a DM’s call.

Again, though, that’s a lot of work for an ability an EK doesn’t need.