PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Brainstorm: Sorcerous Origin for Changelings?

Wasp
2020-05-01, 06:55 PM
Hi everyone!

I was looking into the possibility of playing a Changeling Sorcerer that truly embraces the shape changing or more general the changing, fluidity in their magic (and metamagic really seems the epitome of that).

What do you think would be cool features for some kind of "Changing Mind" Sorcerous Origin that's all about changing spells and the changeling even further?

I was thinking some variant of the "Eshew Materials" effect of the old 3.5 "Recaster" prestige class? What do you think? How to do it without overpowering it?

What about the ability to cast a spell that requires a bonus action as an action? Or otherwise manipulate casting times outside of quickened spells?

Or: Changing damage types of spells?

Segev
2020-05-02, 10:03 AM
I don't have 5e's Eberron, so I am running off memories of what 3.5 had for Changelings. Assuming they're still doppelganger-descended, the natural Sorcerous Bloodline to develop would actually be the Doppelganger or Shapechanger bloodline. The fluff of it should make it clear it's a multi-morph ancestry (doppelgangers, but also potentially others), not a lycanthropy sort of thing.

Also don't want it just redundant with Changeling shapeshifting, while enabling non-Changelings to enjoy it. This could be tricky.

Maybe...

Chameleon Bloodline
Descended from doppelgangers, dragons, fey, or other shapeshifters who lose themselves in the identities they construct to dabble in various lives, your magic makes you ephemeral, yet able to firmly grasp any role you choose.

Multiple Identities
At first level, you choose two identities you can assume. You switch between them when you long rest, choosing which you will present to the world for the next day at that time. Your identities are based on particular archetypes, and you can have both of them be the same archetype, or be totally different ones.

Arcane Scholar
When you assume this identity, your magic assumes the trappings of learned magecraft. You possess a spellbook, such that wizards might even be able to copy or learn spells from it. This spellbook has a single wizard spell of level 1 through the highest level Sorcerer spell you know. When you learn a Sorcerer spell of a new level, you also add a new spell to this spellbook. While in this identity, you know these spells and may cast them. If you have more than one Arcane Scholar identity, they may share a spellbook, but each has their own list they prepare from it. This list is fixed for each identity. If you've added more spells to the spellbook (in the same manner a wizard would), you may forget up to one of the spells for each Arcane Scholar identity you have, and replace it with another in the spellbook.

While in this identity, you gain the ability to cast rituals. You must have the spell to be cast as a ritual as a known spell or as one prepared by this identity.

Mystic Warrior
When you assume this identity, your magic warps itself towards aiding you in the arts of battle. Choose two martial weapons. While in this identity, you are proficient with them. When you use your action on your turn to cast a spell that deals no damage, you can use a bonus action to make a weapon attack with one of these weapons.

....This isn't working very well and already feels overpowered AND overcomplicated. I'll have to revisit it later. Hopefully it helps at least a little with your own musings!