PDA

View Full Version : How many of you run your own encounters from level 1-20 to test out character builds?

magicalmagicman
2020-05-02, 06:05 AM
Because of how slow this game is, it became apparent to me a while ago that if I want to fight all the notable endgame monsters like demon princes, archdevils, celestial paragons, and the like before I die of old age, I'm gonna have to run them myself instead of trying to find a DM and convincing him to include one of them in a several year long campaign.

And I've been having a lot of fun. I just read a monster, stat him out in maptool, and run a CR appropriate encounter. Statting him out in maptool is an egregious grind though.

So how many of you guys do what I'm doing? Running your character against monsters on your own? All the way from level 1 to 20?

Raishoiken
2020-05-02, 06:19 AM
It's something I've been thinking about a lot but haven't quote gotten around to yet

Quertus
2020-05-02, 07:27 AM
I mean, as a rule, I run from 1 to 3 entire *parties* through any content I create before it sees any actual PCs.

RNightstalker
2020-05-02, 02:55 PM
That's actually a great idea...gotta do something during this time to keep ourselves busy lol.

malloc
2020-05-03, 03:39 PM
Not anymore. By now, I've got a pretty good handle on how effects stack up against players, and vice versa.