PDA

View Full Version : TftYP--Forge of Fury tips/advice

TheCleverGuy
2020-05-03, 07:31 AM
I'm running Tales from the Yawning Portal, and the players are about to fight Belak at the end of Sunless Citadel. Afterwards, we'll be rolling right into Forge of Fury. In preparation for that, I was wondering if you have any tips or advice for running this dungeon.

Specifically, should they start the orc fortress part already at 4th level? I'm using milestone leveling, and they're 3rd level now. I can easily have them level up after the Belak fight, or have them go through a few "random" encounters as they travel from Oakhurst to Blasingdell. Then, what's a good point in the adventure to level them up to 5? When they reach the Foundry level where the duergar are?

Oh yeah, and even more specifically, what happens if someone falls into the chasm near the beginning of the first level? There's a rope bridge that the orcs will try to cut--if someone falls is it just instant death? Where do they land if the Wizard happens to get a feather fall off?

Catullus64
2020-05-03, 07:40 AM
As it happened, our own party hit level 5 just after dealing with the duergar in the foundry. I think it was a decent point to reach that milestone, considering that the next major obstacle is the dragon. 5th is high enough for the dragon to be beatable, but still low enough to require some luck or stratagem to survive.

My biggest advice for running it would be to modify the troglydyte nesting area, and the various tunnels in the mid-section of the dungeon. Without distinct architectural cues and dwarven traps, and with fairly uninteresting enemies, that area can start to feel very same-y and it's easy to lose track of where you are; I would either elide it into a smaller area, or add splashes of your own content to liven it up.

Bobthewizard
2020-05-03, 09:57 AM
I blacked out the whole troglodyte section and ignored it. It didn't seem like my players would have fun with that.

They started at level 3, leveled up to 4 before the duerger and level 5 after driving out the dragon, but I took it easy on them with the dragon that time. If you level them to 5 before the dragon, play the dragon really smart so the fight lasts a while.

JeffreyGator
2020-05-04, 10:35 PM
I suspect Forge of Fury ti be more popular right now since it is free this month on roll20.

4 PCs and a DM PC healbot cleared most of the first level pretty handily by noticing the smoke and coming down the chimney. They were all 3rd level. I don't intend leveling until the duergar - before or after will depend on if they get to the roper or skip that level.

In general many modules have easy way and hard way options.

In Forge of Fury easy way is the chimney, not fighting the trogs through negotiation and they are out of the way anyway, skipping the roper level (although this misses a major rare magic item) and then not fighting the duergar. The dragon at the end will be much easier if the party doesn't wake it up early.

Petrocorus
2020-05-04, 10:59 PM
I'm running Tales from the Yawning Portal, and the players are about to fight Belak at the end of Sunless Citadel. Afterwards, we'll be rolling right into Forge of Fury. In preparation for that, I was wondering if you have any tips or advice for running this dungeon.

Specifically, should they start the orc fortress part already at 4th level? I'm using milestone leveling, and they're 3rd level now. I can easily have them level up after the Belak fight, or have them go through a few "random" encounters as they travel from Oakhurst to Blasingdell. Then, what's a good point in the adventure to level them up to 5? When they reach the Foundry level where the duergar are?

Oh yeah, and even more specifically, what happens if someone falls into the chasm near the beginning of the first level? There's a rope bridge that the orcs will try to cut--if someone falls is it just instant death? Where do they land if the Wizard happens to get a feather fall off?

I'm curious, where did you put your milestone in Sunless Citadel?

MarkVIIIMarc
2020-05-04, 11:36 PM
The encounter at the end can be properly quite deadly. Make the bad guy appropriately intelligent and have him use the terrain to his advantage.

Some things are meant to be memorable not easy.

Segev
2020-05-05, 12:13 AM
The encounter at the end can be properly quite deadly. Make the bad guy appropriately intelligent and have him use the terrain to his advantage.

Some things are meant to be memorable not easy.
I tried to make it deadly, and just couldn’t. What do you advise to use the terrain intelligently?

Whiskeyjack8044
2020-05-05, 12:13 AM
My party is currently at the Duergar Level

1. Try and signal that they can explore the mountain and find a less obvious entrance the Mountain Door fight can be pretty hard.

2. Read and reread the Mountain Door Defenses side bar. It makes the fight very dynamic and fun, but very deadly.

3. Ah the rope bridge. If someone falls I'd have them roll a DC 12 Constitution check. If they succeed they fall into underground lake and wash up on the Dragon's treasure horde, with 1 HP and 3 points of exhaustion. I'd describe the Dragon looking at them with wicked delight, then cut back to fight above.

4. Should a player die (or be trapped with the dragon) have them roll up a new character. There are two captives with the Orcs, their new character can be amongst the captives waiting for their chance to escape.

5. I'd level them up after each level of the dungeon. So level up after they fight the orcs, after they explore the Glitterhame, and after they deal with the Duergar.They should be level 5 before they fight the dragon (and maybe reduce any friends that fall).

I used Hobgoblins with Heavy Crossbows so the mountain door fight was tough. My players backed off and ended up going down the chimney. They skipped the Troglodytes but did a fare bit of exploring before finding the Key to the Foundry. They are dealing with the Duergar now.

TheCleverGuy
2020-05-05, 06:28 AM
I'm curious, where did you put your milestone in Sunless Citadel?

We started at level 1, and I had them level up to 2 after meeting Yusdrayl. I did add an encounter in the wilderness before the party reached Oakhurst.

They leveled up again after fighting Balsag, along with a handful of goblins from the upper level who had escaped below. That fight nearly ended in a TPK.

Catullus64
2020-05-05, 10:34 AM
I tried to make it deadly, and just couldn’t. What do you advise to use the terrain intelligently?

With the dragon's swim speed and underwater breathing, and a recharging 11d8 of acidic death, the dragon can often kite the PCs to death in its cavern. I, however, would not suggest doing this; smart tactics are not the same thing as a fun fight, and the dragon's attacks, AC and HP are enough to make it plenty scary to a party of 5th level. Give the players some options to lure it out of the water.

Segev
2020-05-05, 10:37 AM
With the dragon's swim speed and underwater breathing, and a recharging 11d8 of acidic death, the dragon can often kite the PCs to death in its cavern. I, however, would not suggest doing this; smart tactics are not the same thing as a fun fight, and the dragon's attacks, AC and HP are enough to make it plenty scary to a party of 5th level. Give the players some options to lure it out of the water.

Ah! I was thinking of the wrong dungeon; I thought (based on where in the thread I read this) you were referring to Sunless Citadel, not Forge of Fury, for the final battle. My mistake.

I haven't tried to run Forge of Fury.