PDA

View Full Version : Skirting superhero registration laws

moonfly7
2020-05-03, 09:59 AM
My friend is about to run a Mutants and Masterminds game where the laws(at least in America) require heros to register with the government and have their identities at the very least documented and recorded, or outright publicly released depending on the state.
As the others prepare their characters with varying degrees of law compliance for our PL8 game, I found myself in a very fun quandary: I wanted to play a non-vigilante criminal who still helped with his powers, without being a cop or registered hero. And I had an amazing epiphany: become a private investigator.
Obviously I'm not well versed in PI laws, but I know some things, and we're also using comic logic so plenty of normal restrictions are likely to be glossed over or ignored.
What I do know about PIs is that you need to be certified, unless you claim to be a psychic investigator or the like. Now in a world where psychics are real but the law has yet to catch up, this can result in a pretty amazing loophole for helping people with plenty of pro bono work without being controlled by the government(I know it's not super original and that go the Jessica Jones and female Hawkeye do it too but it's still pretty cool).
My current character has the power to communicate with inanimate objects and convince them to aid him, shown by his transform and comprehend effects. He offers his services as a Telepath that can read objects and excerpt psychic control over them to skirt around the law. This forces him to use his powers much more sparingly than he'd like to keep a low profile.

The Glyphstone
2020-05-03, 10:09 AM
Is it registering all superheroes, or everyone with superpowers? Cause that'll work for the first option and probably fail badly on the second depending on how authoritarian/bureaucratic the Registration Agency is. Government agencies, especially comic book agencies, dont tend to appreciate having loopholes rubbed in their faces.

moonfly7
2020-05-03, 10:17 AM
Is it registering all superheroes, or everyone with superpowers? Cause that'll work for the first option and probably fail badly on the second depending on how authoritarian/bureaucratic the Registration Agency is. Government agencies, especially comic book agencies, dont tend to appreciate having loopholes rubbed in their faces.

It's the first option. And honestly he has another reason for pretending to be a low level psychic: his real powers let him change any substance into any other substance by asking an object to shift it's molecules. So he's actually a power house, he can ask air to shift to concrete, or your stomach acid to shift into hemlock. He wants to help people but he isn't about to let any government get their hands on someone like him.
I plan on playing him like a classic hardboiled detective but slightly less gritty and with more morals.

False God
2020-05-03, 10:46 AM
It's the first option. And honestly he has another reason for pretending to be a low level psychic: his real powers let him change any substance into any other substance by asking an object to shift it's molecules. So he's actually a power house, he can ask air to shift to concrete, or your stomach acid to shift into hemlock. He wants to help people but he isn't about to let any government get their hands on someone like him.
I plan on playing him like a classic hardboiled detective but slightly less gritty and with more morals.

You say he has to ask the material to do so, can the material refuse? (not related to your questions, just curious)

Avoiding "superhero registration" sort of depends on how the law defines a superhero. Do you need a costume? An alias? Like, would someone who has supernatural healing abilities who works as a nurse and uses them to heal people have to register? Would a landscaper who has the ability to make plants grow into certain shapes have to register? Is it only if you fight crime? What about a cop who has classic super-strength/toughness?

A private detective who uses their powers in their legitimate line of work (think Jessica Jones), which is crime-solving, may not have to register, depending on how the law is written.

So, I guess my question really comes down to: how is the law written? What defines a "superhero"?

moonfly7
2020-05-03, 10:52 AM
You say he has to ask the material to do so, can the material refuse? (not related to your questions, just curious)

Avoiding "superhero registration" sort of depends on how the law defines a superhero. Do you need a costume? An alias? Like, would someone who has supernatural healing abilities who works as a nurse and uses them to heal people have to register? Would a landscaper who has the ability to make plants grow into certain shapes have to register? Is it only if you fight crime? What about a cop who has classic super-strength/toughness?

A private detective who uses their powers in their legitimate line of work (think Jessica Jones), which is crime-solving, may not have to register, depending on how the law is written.

So, I guess my question really comes down to: how is the law written? What defines a "superhero"?

Specifically hero work. Cops with powers are cops with powers, they fall under standard law enforcement rules and laws. Your nurse and gardener are the same, they're not using powers to be heroes so no need to register. It's only if your specifically a hero that you need to register, and I don't really want to get into how heroes are different than law enforcement since it isn't my setting.
As for your first question: I'm still deciding. I'm thinking about making it persuasion check based, which gives me points back and makes things interesting for me.

hamishspence
2020-05-03, 10:53 AM
Is it registering all superheroes, or everyone with superpowers?

It's the first option.

Sounds a bit like this entry in the Law & The Multiverse blog might be of interest:

http://lawandthemultiverse.com/2012/06/06/the-uniques-i-registration/

"You need to register if you wish to legally perform superheroics"

so to speak.

False God
2020-05-03, 08:51 PM
Specifically hero work. Cops with powers are cops with powers, they fall under standard law enforcement rules and laws. Your nurse and gardener are the same, they're not using powers to be heroes so no need to register. It's only if your specifically a hero that you need to register, and I don't really want to get into how heroes are different than law enforcement since it isn't my setting.

Well then, it would seem to me that a detective who uses their powers to solve crimes isn't a superhero. They're a detective who just happens to have a special edge. The fact that you sometimes investigate clues till it leads you to trouble is certainly skirting the law, but probably one of those grey areas.

As for your first question: I'm still deciding. I'm thinking about making it persuasion check based, which gives me points back and makes things interesting for me.
I think the idea that the toaster can refuse to talk or the material can refuse to change (opposed willpower check?) is totally awesome.

moonfly7
2020-05-03, 10:03 PM
Well then, it would seem to me that a detective who uses their powers to solve crimes isn't a superhero. They're a detective who just happens to have a special edge. The fact that you sometimes investigate clues till it leads you to trouble is certainly skirting the law, but probably one of those grey areas.
That was my point yeah. He's not a hero, and legally he's in the clear 100%. But he is operating as a psychic to avoid needing a license(a percausion against it being revoked, can't take it if I don't have it) And I get the feeling if anyone knew he could turn any substance into any substance he's be "persuaded" into being a hero or working for a massive corporation.

I think the idea that the toaster can refuse to talk or the material can refuse to change (opposed willpower check?) is totally awesome.
No actually I'll he using a flaw called Check required. MNM is a little strange with statting up powers. But my persuasion is +12 so the only way I fail is if I roll a bat one since the DC for the checks will be 13. And yeah it's hilarious.

Berenger
2020-05-04, 02:27 AM

Printers. Printers are the Johnny Tightlips of electrical devices.

My printers were the least cooperative and most obstinate pieces of technology I ever owned.

moonfly7
2020-05-04, 08:59 AM
Printers. Printers are the Johnny Tightlips of electrical devices.

My printers were the least cooperative and most obstinate pieces of technology I ever owned.

100% agree. Now I'm going to have to in character be like: "most objects all have different personalities. Every cup, die, puddle of water, box, etc, they're all unique in personality just like people. Except printers. All printers are *** holes."
Although arguably that could work in one's favor, because printers are more likely to hate their owners and help you screw them over.
"Jam? Heck yeah I'll jam. I'll have a paper jam so hard he'll have to call 5 different companies and be busy all day while you expose him for tax fraud. Hey, at night, sneak in and put me near his bathtub while he's in it will you? Heck if I know if it'll work but I'll try anything once"

Grod_The_Giant
2020-05-04, 11:01 AM
My guess would be that registering yourself as a hero lets you do things like make arrests, avoid being prosecuted for assault and property damage, walk around with your six-foot long magic claymore despite concealed carry laws, that sort of thing. As long as you don't expect privileges like that, I think you'd be fine?*

Why does that sound familiar...

https://www.17thshard.com/forum/uploads/gallery/category_6/gallery_11365_6_36159.gif

In any case, don't forget Move Object and maybe Summon as alternate effects, for when you want to ask an object to move instead of transforming.

*Your mileage may vary based on how dystopian the setting is.

Brother Oni
2020-05-04, 11:23 AM
100% agree. Now I'm going to have to in character be like: "most objects all have different personalities. Every cup, die, puddle of water, box, etc, they're all unique in personality just like people. Except printers. All printers are *** holes."

I vote all toasters be like Talkie Toaster (https://youtu.be/LRq_SAuQDec?t=23).

moonfly7
2020-05-04, 11:26 AM
My guess would be that registering yourself as a hero lets you do things like make arrests, avoid being prosecuted for assault and property damage, walk around with your six-foot long magic claymore despite concealed carry laws, that sort of thing. As long as you don't expect privileges like that, I think you'd be fine?*

Why does that sound familiar...

https://www.17thshard.com/forum/uploads/gallery/category_6/gallery_11365_6_36159.gif

In any case, don't forget Move Object and maybe Summon as alternate effects, for when you want to ask an object to move instead of transforming.

*Your mileage may vary based on how dystopian the setting is.

Not dystopian at all actually. Although how a giant magic broadsword falls under concealed carry instead of open carry is beyond me.

Brother Oni
2020-05-05, 11:35 AM
Not dystopian at all actually. Although how a giant magic broadsword falls under concealed carry instead of open carry is beyond me.

Trenchcoat. A very big, long trenchcoat.

https://i1.wp.com/www.jacketscreator.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/highlander-trench-coat.jpg?fit=1275%2C1500&ssl=1