PDA

View Full Version : Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

LibraryOgre
2020-05-03, 10:38 AM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 5. If your question is not about the RAW for 5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large player races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

Please start over with the numbering. When this one reached 50 pages, please report it so that we can start a new one. Thanks.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-03, 05:50 PM
Q1

The Use an Object action says (https://5e.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsinCombat.htm#useAnObject)"When an object requires your action for its use, you take the Use an Object action."

Many alchemical or throwable items, like Alchemist's Fire, Acid, and Holy Water, say "As an action, you can throw this flask up to 20 feet" or otherwise specify that you can use them as an action.

The Combat section also notes (https://5e.d20srd.org/srd/combat/theOrderofCombat.htm#otherActivityOnYourTurn)"You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action."

Does this mean that any character can attack with Alchemist's Fire, Acid, Holy Water or something with similar verbiage that they have in hand for 'free' on their turn?

ThePolarBear
2020-05-03, 06:18 PM
Q1
Does this mean that any character can attack with Alchemist's Fire, Acid, Holy Water or something with similar verbiage that they have in hand for 'free' on their turn?

A1
"Some magic items and other special objects always require an action to use, as stated in their description."

It means the exact opposite.

Kracky
2020-05-05, 01:42 AM
Q1. I was reading about a multi class Palladin/Sorc where the character was using the Sorc spell slots to power smites. If that is allowable could a character also use up a spell slot(s) from a Ring of Spell Storing to power a Smite ?

ThePolarBear
2020-05-05, 03:00 AM
Q2. I was reading about a multi class Palladin/Sorc where the character was using the Sorc spell slots to power smites. If that is allowable could a character also use up a spell slot(s) from a Ring of Spell Storing to power a Smite ?

A2 On the ring: No as the ring doesn't have slots. The ring allows up to 5 levels of spells to be stored. At most, it will have the capacity to store spells or have spells stored into it.

Chronos
2020-05-05, 07:40 AM
A2 clarification:

A paladin/sorcerer multiclass isn't using sorcerer spell slots, because she doesn't have sorcerer spell slots, nor does she have paladin spell slots. She has multiclass spell slots, which depend on her sorcerer level plus half of her paladin level. There's no way to separate out which slots come from which class.

A paladin/warlock multiclass does have separate spell slots from her two classes, because warlocks work differently. But it still doesn't matter, because Smite just requires spell slots, and doesn't say anything about where they come from.

Some warlocks have a similar smiting ability called Eldritch Smite. There, it does matter, because the description of the ability specifically says that the slots used must be warlock slots.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-06, 04:06 AM
Q3

Is it correct that only attack rolls automatically succeed on a natural 20* and automatically fail on a natural 1?

*and are critical hits obviously but that wouldn't apply to other checks anyway

Millstone85
2020-05-06, 04:33 AM
Q3 Is it correct that only attack rolls automatically succeed on a natural 20* and automatically fail on a natural 1?Yes, this is correct.

*and are critical hits obviously but that wouldn't apply to other checks anywayHighlighting mine. Note that attack rolls are not ability checks.

For example, when the hex spell imposes disadvantage on ability checks, this does not apply to attack rolls.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-06, 05:45 AM
Great, thanks.

Q4

Rope of Climbing: is there any reason not to use your action to animate it, then leave it in that state as you carry it around? The idea is that this would save you from spending an action to use it in future, and could just use your bonus actions to command it.

heavyfuel
2020-05-08, 07:12 AM
Q 5

Does advantage on attack rolls (from a Ranger against an enemy who hasn't acted) extend to ability checks you make in place of an attack, specifically, the Strength (Athletics) checks to shove someone?

Chronos
2020-05-08, 08:02 AM
A 4:
No drawback to doing so is listed in the entry for the item. I suppose that, while animated, it might be continually squirming in place, or the like, which might be awkward in some situations, but even that is speculation, and still leaves plenty of time for it to be animated in advance of when one would want to use it.

A 5:
An ability check is not an attack roll, even if it's for an option which takes the place of an attack. By the same token, you would get advantage from things that help checks but not attack rolls, such as the Enhance Ability spell.

Yora
2020-05-08, 11:49 AM
Q6: If I cast control water to create a vortex and then start to move away, can I maintain concentration once I moved more than the spell's range of 300 feet away from the vortex?

leogobsin
2020-05-08, 11:56 AM
Q6: If I cast control water to create a vortex and then start to move away, can I maintain concentration once I moved more than the spell's range of 300 feet away from the vortex?

A6 Yes. Once a spell is cast, there's no restrictions about how far the caster can be from the effects unless the spell description specifically says so (like Mage Hand, which says the hand disappears if it's more than 30 feet from you.

Chronos
2020-05-08, 11:57 AM
A 6:
The range of a spell matters when you cast it. Unless the spell specifies otherwise, it doesn't matter after that.

Q 7:
Concerning the bonus action spell rule: Is it possible to use a bonus action to cast a spell, and then use your action to ready to cast another (non-cantrip) spell? For instance, a sorcerer casting a Quickened Fireball, and then readying an action to cast another Fireball as soon as anyone else does anything. I ask because the bonus action spell rule only applies to spells cast that turn, not to spells cast during some other creature's turn using your reaction.

leogobsin
2020-05-08, 12:02 PM
Q 7:
Concerning the bonus action spell rule: Is it possible to use a bonus action to cast a spell, and then use your action to ready to cast another (non-cantrip) spell? For instance, a sorcerer casting a Quickened Fireball, and then readying an action to cast another Fireball as soon as anyone else does anything. I ask because the bonus action spell rule only applies to spells cast that turn, not to spells cast during some other creature's turn using your reaction.
A 7 The description of the ready action says: "When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your reaction when the trigger occurs." When you ready a spell you are casting the spell on your turn, so that would be breaking the bonus action spell rule.

Chronos
2020-05-08, 03:21 PM
OK, good, I figured that was too easy of a workaround.

Yora
2020-05-09, 12:24 PM
Q8: Does nondetection prevent see invisiblity from seeing an invisible creature?

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-09, 02:21 PM
Q8: Does nondetection prevent see invisiblity from seeing an invisible creature?

A8: Yes it does since Invisibility is a Divination spell.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-09, 03:39 PM
Q9

Is there a general rule about how to handle fractions (e.g. from resistance or successful saving throws) in terms of when to round up or down, and if so where can I find it?

leogobsin
2020-05-09, 03:45 PM
Q9

Is there a general rule about how to handle fractions (from resistance or successful saving throws) in terms of when to round up or down, and if so where can I find it?

A9 Player's Handbook, page 7:

There’s one more general rule you need to know at the outset. Whenever you divide a number in the game, round down if you end up with a fraction, even if the fraction is one-half or greater.

Dmdork
2020-05-10, 07:37 PM
Q10 Q534 I cast sanctuary. It says if I cast a spell that effects an enemy creature, then santuary drops.
I cast spirit guardians but not near an enemy. Have I still 'casted a spell that effects an enemy creature'?

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-10, 07:47 PM
Q10 Q534 I cast sanctuary. It says if I cast a spell that effects an enemy creature, then santuary drops.
I cast spirit guardians but not near an enemy. Have I still 'casted a spell that effects an enemy creature'?

A10: If you cast it on yourself, then cast Spirit Guardians away from an enemy, then no you have not, "cast a spell that effects an enemy". The key there is the Present Tense of "effects," not "can effect."

p.s. Thanks for jumping over here to the new thread.

Dmdork
2020-05-10, 10:18 PM
Q11 I move in and attack the priest with my new dagger. I fail my sanctuary save. Can I cast scorching ray at another enemy or does it have to be the same kind of attack that's re-directed? Can I dodge instead?

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-10, 11:03 PM
Q11 I move in and attack the priest with my new dagger. I fail my sanctuary save. Can I cast scorching ray at another enemy or does it have to be the same kind of attack that's re-directed? Can I dodge instead?

A11: At the onset of your question (process) you've decided to take either the Attack or Cast a Spell action. Sanctuary creates an interrupt forcing you to make a Wisdon saving throw. If you fail that save you must re-direct the interrupted action by choosing a new target or lose the action. The spell doesn't give you any other options.

Kracky
2020-05-11, 03:27 AM
Q12 If you are playing a ''sunlight sensitive'' character. Is that character ''messed up'' whilst underground if someone is carrying a magic weapon that sheds ''bright light'' ?

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-11, 03:38 AM
A12

It will depend upon the specific wording of each ability. For example, the Drow Sunlight Sensitivity trait says the penalty applies "in direct sunlight". Most sources of light aren't sunlight, direct or otherwise. Some rare abilities are sunlight, though. The Sunbeam spell, for example, creates a mote of light in your hand that sheds light that is sunlight. (The beams of light it produces that you attack with are not sunlight.)

Kracky
2020-05-11, 04:36 AM
A12

It will depend upon the specific wording of each ability. For example, the Drow Sunlight Sensitivity trait says the penalty applies "in direct sunlight". Most sources of light aren't sunlight, direct or otherwise. Some rare abilities are sunlight, though. The Sunbeam spell, for example, creates a mote of light in your hand that sheds light that is sunlight. (The beams of light it produces that you attack with are not sunlight.)

Ok thanks that kinda answers my question. Just one more point to be a little more specific. What about the light shed by a Sunblade. Would that count as being in ''direct Sunlight'' ?

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-11, 05:34 AM
The Sun Blade in the SRD (https://5e.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemsAToZ.htm#sunBlade) says it sheds "bright light", not sunlight.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-11, 06:28 AM
Q13

Am I right in thinking that the specific magic weapons in the DMG that don't mention such bonuses, like the Frost Brand and the Flame Tongue, can't be found with magical bonuses to attack and damage rolls?

I know that some specific weapons, like the Dragon Slayer, specify a magical bonus. Similarly, I assume it's correct that such items aren't found with different bonuses than those in their entry?

Eriol
2020-05-11, 07:21 AM
Q13

Am I right in thinking that the specific magic weapons in the DMG that don't mention such bonuses, like the Frost Brand and the Flame Tongue, can't be found with magical bonuses to attack and damage rolls?

I know that some specific weapons, like the Dragon Slayer, specify a magical bonus. Similarly, I assume it's correct that such items aren't found with different bonuses than those in their entry?
A13 You are somewhat correct. In a game with only items specifically specified by the DMG, those items appear with no +1 or other bonuses like that. They still qualify as magical weapons for the purpose of overcoming resistance to non-magical attacks, but do not have a bonus to attack/damage like +1, +2, etc have, nor how some other magic items DO have such.

That said, it's completely within a DM's abilities to make such items that have other bonuses as well. The DMG has sections on creating magic items, and they often involve mixing effects of other items to make something more powerful. So a DM could certainly drop an "enhanced" one and it's still not-quite-homebrew. It's a grey area. I would still call it RAW, just not allowed in some settings (like Adventurer's League).

ThePolarBear
2020-05-11, 07:33 AM
Ok thanks that kinda answers my question. Just one more point to be a little more specific. What about the light shed by a Sunblade. Would that count as being in ''direct Sunlight'' ?

The Sun Blade in the SRD (https://5e.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemsAToZ.htm#sunBlade) says it sheds "bright light", not sunlight.

FYI, you missed "the light is sunlight" part.

Kracky
2020-05-11, 10:03 AM
From the text you linked under Sunblade ''The sword’s luminous blade emits bright light in a 15-*‐‑foot radius and dim light for an additional 15 feet. The light is sunlight'' So it clearly states Sunlight not bright light ??

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-11, 12:39 PM
From the text you linked under Sunblade ''The sword’s luminous blade emits bright light in a 15-*‐‑foot radius and dim light for an additional 15 feet. The light is sunlight'' So it clearly states Sunlight not bright light ??

Please remember to include an "R" for Reference to replies!

R13: It's both Bright Light and Sun Light as far as game mechanics go. Here's the text from DDB:

Sun Blade (https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items/sun-blade) Weapon (longsword), rare (requires attunement)

This item appears to be a longsword hilt. While grasping the hilt, you can use a bonus action to cause a blade of pure radiance to spring into existence, or make the blade disappear. While the blade exists, this magic longsword has the finesse property. If you are proficient with shortswords or longswords, you are proficient with the sun blade.

You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon, which deals radiant damage instead of slashing damage. When you hit an undead with it, that target takes an extra 1d8 radiant damage.

The sword’s luminous blade emits bright light in a 15-foot radius and dim light for an additional 15 feet. The light is sunlight. While the blade persists, you can use an action to expand or reduce its radius of bright and dim light by 5 feet each, to a maximum of 30 feet each or a minimum of 10 feet each.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-11, 01:41 PM
Sorry, my bad

Kracky
2020-05-12, 07:42 AM
No worries. However my question still remains unanswered in that if you have a sunlight sensitive creature that is underground but encounters someone holding a Sunblade and is within range of its light. Will the sunlight sensitive creature suffer the same penalty as being in ''direct Sunlight''
Or as I suspect is this one of those ''grey areas'' and you simply just have to go with the DM interpretation

da newt
2020-05-12, 10:10 AM
Q14

What are the RAW for the HELP action?

Specifically, my DM has ruled that in order to provide the HELP action, a PC or Familiar must be with in 5' of the target creature (enemy) and end it's turn w/in 5' of the target creature and remain there until the next attack has been completed for the HELP to be effective. So an owl's flyby or a PC who disengages cannot HELP and then move out of melee.

Chronos
2020-05-12, 10:37 AM
R 13:

The question is answered. A drow in sunlight suffers penalties. The light from a Sunblade is sunlight. Therefore a drow in the light from a Sunblade suffers penalties.

A 14 partial:

I assume you mean the specific case of using the Help action in combat to give an ally advantage on an attack roll?

It may not be possible for an (ordinary, non-chain) familiar to take that action at all. There is a rule that a creature can only Help with a task that that creature itself would be able to attempt, and a familiar is unable to attack. The rule stating this is in the section of the book on tool use, but the rule does not specify that it applies only to tools.

For a creature that can Help with an attack roll, the rule (pg. 192) is "You can aid a friendly creature in attacking a creature within 5 feet of you". This is ambiguous in when the creature must be within 5 feet of you: When you give the help, when the friendly creature is attacking, or both. Your DM's interpretation is consistent with this rule.

Millstone85
2020-05-12, 12:16 PM
R14
It may not be possible for an (ordinary, non-chain) familiar to take that action at all. There is a rule that a creature can only Help with a task that that creature itself would be able to attempt, and a familiar is unable to attack. The rule stating this is in the section of the book on tool use, but the rule does not specify that it applies only to tools. It is actually in the section on ability checks in general. Either way, it does put in doubt whether this restriction should apply to attack rolls.

Here is how the Sage Advice Compendium answers these questions:
If you use the Help action to distract a foe, do you have to stay within 5 feet of it for the action to work? No, you can take the action and then move away. The action itself is what grants advantage to your ally, not your staying next to the foe.
Can the familiar you conjure with the find familiar spell use the Help action to grant you advantage on your attack roll? A familiar can’t attack, but it can take non-attack actions, including Help. As the text of the Help action indicates (PH, 192), the action doesn’t require you to be able to attack; you simply need to be able to provide some sort of distraction.

da newt
2020-05-12, 02:37 PM
A/R14

Thanks.

TheCleverGuy
2020-05-12, 09:36 PM
Q15

When a Wizard is copying a spell scroll into their spellbook, does it require a successful Arcana check in addition to the time and gold cost?

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-12, 09:44 PM
Q15

When a Wizard is copying a spell scroll into their spellbook, does it require a successful Arcana check in addition to the time and gold cost?

A15: Yes. It’s 10 + the level of the spell being copied. See “Spell Scroll,” on page 200 of the DMG.

Yora
2020-05-13, 08:49 AM

A8: Yes it does since Invisibility is a Divination spell.
R8: Nondetection says "the target can't be targeted by any divination magic or perceived through magical scrying sensors." See invisibility targets the caster, not any invisible creatures that it might reveal. It also does not create a magical scrying sensor.
Therefore a creature affected by both nondetection and invisibility can be seen by a creature under the effect of see invisibility.

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-13, 09:21 AM
R8: Nondetection says "the target can't be targeted by any divination magic or perceived through magical scrying sensors." See invisibility targets the caster, not any invisible creatures that it might reveal. It also does not create a magical scrying sensor.
Therefore a creature affected by both nondetection and invisibility can be seen by a creature under the effect of see invisibility.

R8: You missed the first sentence, “For the duration, you hide a target that you touch from divination magic.”

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/10/27/nondetection-spell-can-it-prevent-see-invisibility-spell/

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-14, 01:53 PM
Q16

Can monsters and NPCs use the Group Checks rule?

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-14, 01:58 PM
Q16

Can monsters and NPCs use the Group Checks rule?

A16: Yes. If game mechanic cannot be used by something in the game that mechanic will state that limitation.

Example: The DMG states that a creature with Multiattack cannot use it when making an opportunity attack.

Multiattack
A creature that can make multiple attacks on its turn has the Multiattack ability. A creature can’t use Multiattack when making an opportunity attack, which must be a single melee attack.

Dmdork
2020-05-14, 07:36 PM
Q17Can u sneak attack with spells?

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-14, 07:41 PM
Q17Can u sneak attack with spells?

A17: Yes, but only with a Shadow Blade. The text of Sneak Attack reads, in part, "The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon." Shadow Blade is a simple melee weapon and has the finesse property.

Eriol
2020-05-14, 08:24 PM
A17: Yes, but only with a Shadow Blade. The text of Sneak Attack reads, in part, "The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon." Shadow Blade is a simple melee weapon and has the finesse property.
R17: Addendum. Booming Blade (and Green-flame Blade) will also allow Sneak Attack if you use a finesse weapon with them. The Booming Blade Cantrip, which in its description says "As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails." So if your weapon is finesse already, then that would count to trigger sneak attack, assuming the other conditions (either advantage, ally within 5ft, etc) are satisfied.

You can also Sneak Attack OFF of your turn with a cantrip with opportunity attacks if you have the feat "War Caster" (which you can satisfy the prerequisite of being able to cast a spell through racials, Magic Initiate, multiclass, Arcane trickster, or a few other feats), because one of the benefits is "When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you. you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature." Booming Blade definitely counts. Green-flame blade may count, but the jumping to others may make the DM say "no" because it "kind of" targets more than one creature (I'd rule OK, but others may not).

Galithar
2020-05-14, 10:24 PM
Q18

Can you use Uncanny Dodge (a reaction) to halve the damage from a shocking grasp that prevents reactions AFTER the hit?

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-14, 11:21 PM
Q18

Can you use Uncanny Dodge (a reaction) to halve the damage from a shocking grasp that prevents reactions AFTER the hit?

A18: No, because the effect of Shocking Grasp has already affected your character so you no longer have a Reaction to use.

Yora
2020-05-15, 04:30 PM
Q19: Arcane lock says it's impossible to open a warded door while the spell is active, but the DC for picking the lock is increased by 10.
What does that mean? Can you open it with Thief Tools or not?

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-15, 04:53 PM
Q19: Arcane lock says it's impossible to open a warded door while the spell is active, but the DC for picking the lock is increased by 10.
What does that mean? Can you open it with Thief Tools or not?

A19: The relevant portion or the description says, “Otherwise, it is impassable until it is broken or the spell is dispelled or suppressed.”

So not “impossible,” just “impassible until….”

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-15, 05:08 PM
Q20

If I have Skulker and hide in a poorly-lit area, do enemies have Disadvantage on their Perception checks to see me (thanks to the light obscurement)?

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-15, 06:04 PM
Q20

If I have Skulker and hide in a poorly-lit area, do enemies have Disadvantage on their Perception checks to see me (thanks to the light obscurement)?

A20: Yes.

“In a lightly obscured area, such as dim light, patchy fog, or moderate foliage, creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception (https://www.dndbeyond.com/compendium/rules/basic-rules/using-ability-scores#Perception)) checks that rely on sight.”

Dmdork
2020-05-17, 09:36 PM
Q21 I cast Magic missle at the cleric. He has sanctuary up and I fail my save. There's no one else to target. Do I lose the spell or just my action?

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-18, 01:18 AM
Q21 I cast Magic missle at the cleric. He has sanctuary up and I fail my save. There's no one else to target. Do I lose the spell or just my action?

A21: You lose lose both your Action and the Spell Slot Level used to cast the spell.

”On a failed save, the creature must choose a new target or lose the attack or spell.”

da newt
2020-05-18, 08:27 AM
Q22

Where can I find the official definition of "creature"?

One of the monster's effects stipulates "if the target is a creature ..." - are PC's creatures? Undead? Fiends? Warforged?

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-18, 09:17 AM
Q22

Where can I find the official definition of "creature"?

One of the monster's effects stipulates "if the target is a creature ..." - are PC's creatures? Undead? Fiends? Warforged?

A22: Noun. creature - a living organism characterized by voluntary movement. animal, animate being, beast, brute, fauna. organism, being - a living thing that has (or can develop) the ability to act or function independently.

In D&D “being” is the common use definition of “creature” used. Undead, Adventurers, Animated Armor are all creatures in that sense.

Simply put its anything you can fight! You ‘attack’ a door whilst trying to break it down, but you ‘fight’ a Rug of Smothering whilst trying to stay alive.

To fully answer your question there isn’t an “official” definition of ‘creature’ as it’s a common use word.

Millstone85
2020-05-18, 09:22 AM
R22 I believe that definition is nowhere to be found, but that the answer to all your questions is yes.

The MM lists "monster types" which are also found on PCs and NPCs. Those are aberration, beast, celestial, construct (including "creatures native to the outer plane of Mechanus"), dragon, elemental, fey, fiend, giant, humanoid, monstrosity, ooze, plant (defined as "vegetable creatures, not ordinary flora"), and undead.

Anything that has such a type has got to count as a creature.

Dmdork
2020-05-18, 04:34 PM
Q23 I rage and dodge. Next round I attack a cleric. She has sanctuary up. I fail. There's no other targets so my attack is lost. Do I lose my rage?

Galithar
2020-05-18, 05:01 PM
Q23 I rage and dodge. Next round I attack a cleric. She has sanctuary up. I fail. There's no other targets so my attack is lost. Do I lose my rage?

A23
Unless you have taken damage, or have another feature that would prevent it's loss, yes you would stop raging at the end of the turn in which you made no attack.

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-18, 05:04 PM
A23
Unless you have taken damage, or have another feature that would prevent it's loss, yes you would stop raging at the end of the turn in which you made no attack.

R23: In the example, "I rage and dodge," the rage would have ended after the barbarian dodged since it was that same turn in which the barbarian didn't take or do damage.

That's the reason entering a rage is a bonus action. You therefore still have your action in which to attack after raging.

Galithar
2020-05-18, 05:14 PM
R23: In the example, "I rage and dodge," the rage would have ended after the barbarian dodged since it was that same turn in which the barbarian didn't take or do damage.

That's the reason entering a rage is a bonus action. You therefore still have your action in which to attack after raging.

R23 I suppose it would, but there is still the possibility that he's taken damage since the previous turn. I was imagining that they are in combat and got hit prior prompting the need to dodge. So assuming the Barbarian hasn't taken damage before the turn in which they activated rage, then it would indeed end at the end of the same turn it was activated.

da newt
2020-05-18, 09:12 PM
A22:

thanks for the input/answer, but can you provide a D&D reference - where can I find the RAW D&D definition?

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-18, 09:33 PM
A22:

thanks for the input/answer, but can you provide a D&D reference - where can I find the RAW D&D definition?

R22: I'm sorry that I was more clear before but there is no RAW reference for "creature" due to it (for the most part) being a common use word.

Ceric
2020-05-20, 02:22 PM
Q24. Can a wizard cast Shield on their familiar as the wizard's reaction to the familiar getting hit?

I know wizards could share self-range spells in 3.5e but I don't know if they can in 5e as well. And even if so, I'm not sure if Shield can only be triggered if the wizard themselves took the hit instead of the familiar.

E’Tallitnics
2020-05-20, 02:34 PM
Q24. Can a wizard cast Shield on their familiar as the wizard's reaction to the familiar getting hit?

I know wizards could share self-range spells in 3.5e but I don't know if they can in 5e as well. And even if so, I'm not sure if Shield can only be triggered if the wizard themselves took the hit instead of the familiar.

A24: You’re last sentence is a correct assumption. The reaction to cast the spell is only granted if the Wizard is hit.

Chronos
2020-05-20, 03:13 PM
R 24:

Further, you can't share spells with a familiar any more. You can cast a touch spell through your familiar, such that only the familiar needs to touch the target, not you. You can also share spells with a creature you summon via the paladin spell Find Steed, if you are mounted on the steed.

A paladin with access to the Shield spell somehow (such as via the Magic Initiate feat or multiclassing) who is hit by an attack could cast Shield and share it with her mount, and both would then benefit from the +4 to AC for the spell's duration, but said paladin could still not cast Shield in reaction to the mount being hit.

Galithar
2020-05-20, 03:40 PM
R 24:

both would then benefit from the +4 to AC for the spell's duration, but said paladin could still not cast Shield in reaction to the mount being hit.

Just wanted to point out what I assume is just a typo. Shield is +5 AC not +4

Ceric
2020-05-20, 11:20 PM
Thank you all!

LordVem
2020-05-21, 01:22 PM
Q25. Is there anything preventing a creature from repeatedly taking 5 ft long jumps to avoid the movement penalty in an area of Plant Growth? For example, instead of using using 20 ft of movement to walk 5 ft, jump 5 ft four times. This is assuming the creature has at least 10 strength to take a 5 ft long jump without a running start.

What about for difficult terrain (putting aside the DC 10 acrobatics check each time to avoid falling prone)?

Millstone85
2020-05-21, 02:25 PM
A25 The movement penalty isn't limited to walking. So, where you would normally jump 5 ft, difficult terrain would have you jump 2 ft, and plant growth would have you jump 1 ft.

RFLS
2020-05-21, 02:32 PM
Q26: Is there a way, without multiclassing, for a Druid to access the Fireball spell?

Galithar
2020-05-21, 04:05 PM
Q26: Is there a way, without multiclassing, for a Druid to access the Fireball spell?

A26 Not in the core rules. (Barring magic items such as a Necklace of Fireballs) The UA Wildfire Druid has access to it though.

Dmdork
2020-05-21, 10:58 PM
Q27 Does a 3rd level spiritual weapon give more damage?

Galithar
2020-05-21, 11:32 PM
Q27 Does a 3rd level spiritual weapon give more damage?

A27
No. Spiritual Weapon increases damage by 1d8 for every TWO levels above second. It's still 1d8 at 3rd level but 2d8 at 4th and 5th, 3d8 at 6th and 7th, and 4d8 at 8th and 9th.

Dmdork
2020-05-22, 03:42 AM
Q28 are cantrips level dependent in regard to their damage?

borg286
2020-05-22, 04:41 AM
Q29 Can I intentionally fail a check? More specifically can I have my Imp familiar fail an Investigation check to detect a real vs. Illusory Darkness spell?

Galithar
2020-05-22, 05:01 AM
Q28 are cantrips level dependent in regard to their damage?

A28
Yes that are. Cantrips increase in damage according to the spell description. They follow a pattern of increasing at levels 5, 11, and 17. Usually by increasing the number of damage dice rolled by one. At least one (magic stone) doesn't increase, so be sure to consult the spell description.

Edit: Note that these scale by character level, not class level. A Wizard 2/Fighter 3 has cantrips as if they are 5th level, typically 2 damage dice.

Chronos
2020-05-22, 07:44 AM
A 29:

You never need to fail a check. If for some reason you would want to, you simply don't do whatever it is that would call for a check. In this situation, you could simply tell your familiar not to investigate.

Though I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, here: An imp could see through both real darkness or a recognized illusion of darkness.

borg286
2020-05-22, 08:05 AM
A 29:

You never need to fail a check. If for some reason you would want to, you simply don't do whatever it is that would call for a check. In this situation, you could simply tell your familiar not to investigate.

Though I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, here: An imp could see through both real darkness or a recognized illusion of darkness.

R29: oh yeah, if you know it to be an illusion, then it looks semitransparent to you. An imp would see through it yet still see the illusion and could call it out as one. In was trying to solve the problem of a DM using fire against fire if I were to fake a Darkness spell using Silent Image.

da newt
2020-05-22, 10:05 AM
Q30

Life Cleric + Goodberry

I've seen many posts about Life Clerics and Goodberry combining for extra healing. Is this RAW?

Disciple of life states: Whenever you use a spell to restore HP to a creature, the creature regains additional hp = to 2+ the spell's level.

When you cast goodberry you create 10 goodberries, when a creature eats a GB it restores 1 hp ... Casting the spell creates GBs, but it doesn't heal anyone directly, that happens later when someone eats the GB.

Is there a JC tweet about this one or something?

LtPowers
2020-05-22, 08:41 PM
A30

The RAW are as you've stated them.

Designers have tweeted that the benefit applies to each goodberry as eating a goodberry counts as using a spell to restore HP.

Personally, I'm with you. The spell has a duration of Instantaneous, not 24 hours, so how can a spell that's long since ended be what's restoring the HP?

Powers &8^]

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-23, 12:17 PM
Q31

If I cast Elemental Weapon on a magic weapon that I have which has a +3 bonus, does the total bonus to hit using that weapon increase to +4?

Millstone85
2020-05-23, 01:32 PM
A31 You can not cast elemental weapon on a magic weapon.

Asisreo1
2020-05-23, 11:42 PM
Q32

Is a polymorphed Mimic an object? It says the statistics remain the same with the only exclusion being the size but it also says the mimic turns into an object.

BeefGood
2020-05-24, 06:41 AM
Q33
If a creature attempts to change to a different plane while grappled, does the plane-change succeed, and does the creature escape the grapple?

Yora
2020-05-25, 05:18 AM
A33: The grappled condition only sets the movement speed to 0. Changing planes does not involve movement, so it is not impeded by being grappled. If the grappling opponent is transported as well depends on the specific ability or spell that is being used, and probably up to GM judgement. (Though I would generally say no.)

SpikeFightwicky
2020-05-25, 07:40 PM
Q34
A mount is directed to take the "Disengage" action and moves to within 5 ft of an orc. The rider takes his attack and the mount moves 30ft away. Does the rider provoke an opportunity attack for leaving the orc's 5ft reach range, or does he share the mount's disengage?

Asisreo1
2020-05-25, 08:29 PM
Q34
A mount is directed to take the "Disengage" action and moves to within 5 ft of an orc. The rider takes his attack and the mount moves 30ft away. Does the rider provoke an opportunity attack for leaving the orc's 5ft reach range, or does he share the mount's disengage?
A34

In essence, yes the rider "shares" the disengage but it's a bit deeper than that. An opportunity attack only activates when you move out of reach while using your movement, action, or reaction. It doesn't activate when something else moves you.

When the horse moves out of reach, it could trigger an opportunity attack but since it disengaged, that's not possible. The rider can't be targeted either. Therefore, your mount disengaging makes both you and your mount immune to opportunity attacks.

A hit-and-run tactic is perfectly possible with a mount.

NecessaryWeevil
2020-05-26, 06:43 PM
Q35: My ally is at 0 hp and therefore unconscious. I polymorph him into a Giant Ape, meaning he no longer has 0 hp. Is he still unconscious?

Varlon
2020-05-26, 06:59 PM
A35
The Polymorph spell reads: "This spell transforms a creature with at least 1 hit point that you can see within range into a new form." It cannot be cast on a target at 0 HP.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-31, 05:58 PM
Q36
Does Reincarnate affect your ability scores? It says "traits" - what does that include?

Osuniev
2020-05-31, 07:59 PM
Q37 Using Variant Encumbrance, an Encumbered character has their speed reduced by 10 feet. A character with 2 levels of exhaustion has their speed halved.
If a human character with 30 feet normal speed was both encumbered and exhausted (2 pts), would they have :
A. a speed of 15 feet (halved)
B. a speed of 5 feet (halved then minus 10)
C. a speed of 10 feet (-10 then halved)
D. a speed of 20 feet (-10) ?

Chronos
2020-06-01, 08:36 AM
A 37:
Both effects apply, but the creature's controller (the player for a PC or DM for an NPC) decides the order in which to apply them. Said person would presumably choose to take the -10, then the half, for 10 feet of movement.

leogobsin
2020-06-01, 05:07 PM
Q36
Does Reincarnate affect your ability scores? It says "traits" - what does that include?

A36 Every race's description includes a list of [Race Name] Traits- everything listed under that is included. Ability Score Increase is a racial trait, so yes Reincarnate can change your ability scores

Eriol
2020-06-01, 08:00 PM
Grapple rules!

Q38: If a monster grapples a PC, is there any way (RAW) for another PC to break them out of another creature's grapple? Things I would like considered are (but not limited to) the following:

Grappling the grappled player and hauling them away.
Grappling the monster and hauling THEM away.
Physically "breaking the hold" through a Strength(Athletics) check or similar.
Chopping off the limbs that are doing the grapple.
Thunderwave (or other spell) to blow away at least one of them with forced movement.

Background: A Mind Flayer grappled and stunned a PC, so that PC has NO WAY of breaking out on their own (MM p222). In the Grappled condition, it specifically says "The condition also ends if an effect removes the grappled creature from the reach of the grappler or grappling effect, such as when a creature is hurled away by the thunderwave spell." So you target the person grappled it seems and use something (like Gust of Wind) to move them out? But what happens if you targeted the Mind Flayer (or whatever's grappling) instead? RAW, what happens?

Any expertise would be appreciated. The base grappling rules are on p195 and the condition is on p290.

BeefGood
2020-06-01, 10:35 PM
Q39: Can a creature slash through the wall of thorns created by a wall of thorns spell, and if so, can this be done without taking damage from the thorns?

Chaos Jackal
2020-06-02, 08:07 AM
Q39: Can a creature slash through the wall of thorns created by a wall of thorns spell, and if so, can this be done without taking damage from the thorns?

Α39

If you're asking whether you can slash through wall of thorns in order to hit something on the other side, the answer should be no. It's 5ft thick and blocks line of sight. So even with a reach weapon you can't attack something on the other side.

If you're asking whether you can slash through the wall in order to destroy it, by RAW you can't. The wall has no hit points or AC, or anything that points to it being destructible (dispel magic notwithstanding). There's nothing about destroying it in its entry, unlike something like a Wall of Stone.

da newt
2020-06-02, 08:13 AM
A38

RAW any forced movement will break a grapple - a successful shove is all that is needed, but any forced movement will do (grapple and drag, repelling blast, thunderwave, thorn whip ...). Targeting the grappler or the grappled will both work.

SpikeFightwicky
2020-06-02, 09:30 PM
Q40

How do single target "effect" spells, such as polymorph or banish, affect swarms? For the purpose of the spell, is the swarm considered a single creature, or will only one of the multitude of individuals in the swarm be affected?

Dmdork
2020-06-03, 06:04 AM
Q41 When controlling the mount, can you fully mix your moves with your mount? Ex. I attack with my bow, we move 20, I attack again, we move another 20 and my mount dodges, I dismount and move 15ft....

Mr Adventurer
2020-06-04, 03:53 AM
Q42

When monsters list a melee weapon and a ranged weapon with which they can make attacks under their "Action" entries, are we supposed to also keep track of their Object Interactions, handedness etc.?

For example, a Knight of the Mithral Shield from Storm King's Thunder is carrying a warhammer, a shield, and a heavy crossbow. Their AC shows they are using the shield. Their Actions list both a warhammer attack and a heavy crossbow attack - but wouldn't they have to spend an action doffing their shield, and an Object Interaction putting away their warhammer (or dropping it for free), plus an Object Interaction to get the crossbow out, before they could make the heavy crossbow attack?

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-04, 08:01 AM
Q40

How do single target "effect" spells, such as polymorph or banish, affect swarms? For the purpose of the spell, is the swarm considered a single creature, or will only one of the multitude of individuals in the swarm be affected?

A40: I can find nothing in the rules that say to treat them differently than that of a creature.

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-04, 08:02 AM
Q41 When controlling the mount, can you fully mix your moves with your mount? Ex. I attack with my bow, we move 20, I attack again, we move another 20 and my mount dodges, I dismount and move 15ft....

A41: You’re two creatures with your own movement speeds so your example is correct.

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-04, 08:03 AM
Q42

When monsters list a melee weapon and a ranged weapon with which they can make attacks under their "Action" entries, are we supposed to also keep track of their Object Interactions, handedness etc.?

For example, a Knight of the Mithral Shield from Storm King's Thunder is carrying a warhammer, a shield, and a heavy crossbow. Their AC shows they are using the shield. Their Actions list both a warhammer attack and a heavy crossbow attack - but wouldn't they have to spend an action doffing their shield, and an Object Interaction putting away their warhammer (or dropping it for free), plus an Object Interaction to get the crossbow out, before they could make the heavy crossbow attack?

A42: That’s correct unless their description says otherwise.

TheCleverGuy
2020-06-05, 01:58 PM
[B]Q43

Can the -d4 from Bane negate a critical hit?

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-05, 02:08 PM
[B]Q43

Can the -d4 from Bane negate a critical hit?

A43: No. A 20 on an attack roll is an automatic critical hit, no other modifiers are applied after that.

"If the d20 roll for an attack is a 20, the attack hits regardless of any modifiers or the target's AC."

There are mechanics that can disallow a crit (adamantine armor, etc.).

WARNING! Per the RAW a "crit" is only on an Attack Roll. It does not apply to a Skill Check nor a Saving Throw. For those you still apply modifiers and need to meet or exceed the DC set by the DM.

SpikeFightwicky
2020-06-05, 07:47 PM
Q44a

Does having immunity to the damage of a spell or effect also negate that spell or effect's riders? For example, if a bard casts Dissonant Whispers on a Stone Golem. The golem is immune to the psychic damage, but does it still make a save to negate the "move as far away" rider?

Q44b
Does compelled moment trigger opportunity attacks? Taking Dissonant Whispers again, if a creatures fails their save and must move while in melee range of a PC, does he provoke the OA? It uses a "reaction" to move, not a move action. It's weird.

Asisreo1
2020-06-05, 08:49 PM
Q44a

Does having immunity to the damage of a spell or effect also negate that spell or effect's riders? For example, if a bard casts Dissonant Whispers on a Stone Golem. The golem is immune to the psychic damage, but does it still make a save to negate the "move as far away" rider?

Q44b
Does compelled moment trigger opportunity attacks? Taking Dissonant Whispers again, if a creatures fails their save and must move while in melee range of a PC, does he provoke the OA? It uses a "reaction" to move, not a move action. It's weird.
A44a
Unless the Rider specifically says the rider only happens due to the damage, the rider is separate. So they would need to make a new save.

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-05, 08:50 PM
Q44a

Q44b

A44b: Yes. A creature doesn’t provoke an opportunity attack if it is moved without the use of its movement, its action, or its reaction. In your example they have to use their reaction.

heavyfuel
2020-06-06, 08:46 AM
Q 45

Does your speed represent how much you move in the turn or in the round?

Specifcally, how does this interact with the Barbarian's Instinctive Pounce variant feature? Can you move half your speed on your opponent's turn and then your full speed on yours?

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-06, 11:12 AM
Q 45

Does your speed represent how much you move in the turn or in the round?

Specifcally, how does this interact with the Barbarian's Instinctive Pounce variant feature? Can you move half your speed on your opponent's turn and then your full speed on yours?

A45: Your speed is how far you move during your turn. Instinctive Pounce allows you to move an additional amount (half of your current speed) during someone else's turn.

heavyfuel
2020-06-06, 11:41 AM
Q 45 - Clarification Request

A45: Your speed is how far you move during your turn. Instinctive Pounce allows you to move an additional amount (half of your current speed) during someone else's turn.

While there are a few abilities that allow you to move as a reaction, and I couldn't find consensus on the Internet, the book does say:

"Every character and monster has a speed, which is the distance in feet that the character or monster can walk in 1 round."

But also: "When you take the Dash action, you gain extra Movement for the current turn."

So, are Movement and Speed separate things?

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-06, 12:19 PM
Q 45 - Clarification Request

While there are a few abilities that allow you to move as a reaction, and I couldn't find consensus on the Internet, the book does say:

"Every character and monster has a speed, which is the distance in feet that the character or monster can walk in 1 round."

But also: "When you take the Dash action, you gain extra Movement for the current turn."

So, are Movement and Speed separate things?

R45: Yes. Movement it what happens when you use your Speed.

If you take the Dash action it allows you to move up to your current speed twice, effectively doubling your movement. But when you take that action you're not required to immediately move, you just have an increased amount to use.

When you Jump you increase your movement, but not necessarily your speed. If you're strong enough to jump a distance that exceeds your speed you must do something (like Dash) that increases your speed so you can jump the full amount.

WaroftheCrans
2020-06-08, 11:35 AM
Q46
Blade ward provides resistance to bludgeoning, slashing and piercing damage dealt by weapon attacks. Do magical weapons overcome this?

Chaos Jackal
2020-06-08, 11:48 AM
Q46
Blade ward provides resistance to bludgeoning, slashing and piercing damage dealt by weapon attacks. Do magical weapons overcome this?

A46
The cantrip doesn't specify non-magical weapons, so no, they don't.

Mr Adventurer
2020-06-08, 12:26 PM
Q47

If improvised weapons are weapons (only) at the point at which they are used as such, can you TWF with a sword and shield? Edit: shields aren't Light so you need the Fighting Style, yes?

Does a melee attack from an improvised weapon get bonus damage from Barbarian Rage? From Zealot Divine Fury?

LtPowers
2020-06-08, 12:58 PM
Q47

If improvised weapons are weapons (only) at the point at which they are used as such, can you TWF with a sword and shield? Edit: shields aren't Light so you need the Fighting Style, yes?

Does a melee attack from an improvised weapon get bonus damage from Barbarian Rage? From Zealot Divine Fury?

A47

So much to unpack here. Plus this is really at least two separate and essentially unrelated questions.

All the Two-Weapon Fighting Style does is let you add your proficiency bonus to your bonus-action attack when using two-weapon fighting. It has no effect on what weapons can be used with two-weapon fighting. You may be thinking of the Dual Wielder feat.

To the first question, here's the text: "When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand."

Since a shield is not a weapon (let alone a melee weapon, let alone a light melee weapon), you cannot use two-weapon fighting if your "other hand" is holding a shield. I suppose... in theory... if you take the attack action to attack with a shield as an improvised weapon, then you could argue that at that instant, it's a weapon, so you get the bonus action to use with your sword. But as you note, a shield does not have the light property, so at a minimum the Dual Wielder feat would be required.

As for your Barbarian question, those features only require a melee weapon attack (or any weapon attack for Divine Fury). An attack with an improvised weapon is still a weapon attack, so there's no reason those features wouldn't apply.

Powers &8^]

Mr Adventurer
2020-06-12, 11:33 AM
Q48

Ugh, might have already asked this and lost the answer and if so apologies, but:

If a monster/NPC entry says "humanoid (any)", should I apply the racial ability score adjustments to the monster's stat block? E.g. Thugs have listed ability scores of STR 15, DEX 11, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 11. If I put a Human Thug into my encounter, should I increase each of its ability scores by 1 - and thereby increase the creature's attack and damage roll, AC, and Intimidation skill (plus other ability checks that are not noted)?

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-12, 01:08 PM
Q48

Ugh, might have already asked this and lost the answer and if so apologies, but:

If a monster/NPC entry says "humanoid (any)", should I apply the racial ability score adjustments to the monster's stat block? E.g. Thugs have listed ability scores of STR 15, DEX 11, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 11. If I put a Human Thug into my encounter, should I increase each of its ability scores by 1 - and thereby increase the creature's attack and damage roll, AC, and Intimidation skill (plus other ability checks that are not noted)?

A48: No. There are no RAW that burden the DM with overlaying stat bumps on the fly.

Edit: By the way where are you seeing this? It’s not in the MM.

No brains
2020-06-12, 01:29 PM
Re 48
From MM342, top left corner:

Customizing NPCs
There are many easy ways to customize the NPCs in this appendix for your home campaign.
Racial Traits. You can add racial traits to an NPC. For example, a halfling druid might have a speed of 25 feet and the Lucky trait. Adding racial traits to an NPC doesn't alter its challenge rating. For more on racial traits, see the Player's Handbook.

To answer Mr. Adventurer, there is no need to adjust an NPC's ability scores. You should only do so if you feel the change would make a meaningful difference in the NPC's impression upon the characters.

Mr Adventurer
2020-06-12, 02:06 PM
A48: No. There are no RAW that burden the DM with overlaying stat bumps on the fly.

Edit: By the way where are you seeing this? It’s not in the MM.

Re 48

Customizing NPCs
There are many easy ways to customize the NPCs in this appendix for your home campaign.
Racial Traits. You can add racial traits to an NPC. For example, a halfling druid might have a speed of 25 feet and the Lucky trait. Adding racial traits to an NPC doesn't alter its challenge rating. For more on racial traits, see the Player's Handbook.

To answer Mr. Adventurer, there is no need to adjust an NPC's ability scores. You should only do so if you feel the change would make a meaningful difference in the NPC's impression upon the characters.

FWIW:

I wouldn't be doing this on the fly: I prepare my encounters.

This isn't about need, it's about 'should'. Applying any racial traits to a "humanoid (any)" creature would be a straight upgrade, since they otherwise have no additional ability score points nor racial powers.

But at this point I think we are beyond the purpose of this thread.

Strudel1000
2020-06-12, 04:15 PM
Can you use the "Shape Water" cantrip to "waterbend," so to speak?

The Shape Water cantrip has a few different effects, including freezing water, changing the color of water, etc.
It also lets you move water, but states that the amount of water you move has to fit within a 5' cube.

Q49 Can this be used to take an amount water out of a larger body of water? For example, can I use this cantrip to lift a few tablespoons of water out of the ocean?

Q50 Can the water that is moved with the spell be moved outside of the original 5' cube? For example, can I take those few tablespoons and move them 10' into the air?

The wording of the spell is a little confusing, because it separates "instantaneously" moving the water from "animating" the water into simple shapes.
At the same time, it's probably worded ambiguously so that players can have a lot of leeway in how they use the spell.

Thank you all!

ThePolarBear
2020-06-12, 04:31 PM
Q48If a monster/NPC entry says "humanoid (any)", should I apply the racial ability score adjustments to the monster's stat block? E.g. Thugs have listed ability scores of STR 15, DEX 11, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 11. If I put a Human Thug into my encounter, should I increase each of its ability scores by 1 - and thereby increase the creature's attack and damage roll, AC, and Intimidation skill (plus other ability checks that are not noted)?

Re 48

This isn't about need, it's about 'should'. Applying any racial traits to a "humanoid (any)" creature would be a straight upgrade, since they otherwise have no additional ability score points nor racial powers.

Re 48

To give a bit more info which is relevant and might be useful: DMG, page 279-282. It expands upon npc creation and modification, including racial trait inclusion.

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-12, 05:40 PM
Can you use the "Shape Water" cantrip to "waterbend," so to speak?

The Shape Water cantrip has a few different effects, including freezing water, changing the color of water, etc.
It also lets you move water, but states that the amount of water you move has to fit within a 5' cube.

Q49 Can this be used to take an amount water out of a larger body of water? For example, can I use this cantrip to lift a few tablespoons of water out of the ocean?

Q50 Can the water that is moved with the spell be moved outside of the original 5' cube? For example, can I take those few tablespoons and move them 10' into the air?

The wording of the spell is a little confusing, because it separates "instantaneously" moving the water from "animating" the water into simple shapes.
At the same time, it's probably worded ambiguously so that players can have a lot of leeway in how they use the spell.

Thank you all!

A49: Yes. A few tablespoons, “…fits within a 5-foot cube.”

A50: Yes, but you can only move it, “..up to 5 feet in any direction.”

Chaos Jackal
2020-06-16, 05:38 AM
Q51

I guess this is more of an opinion issue, but would an earth elemental be allowed to attack from underground without ever resurfacing? It's got the reach, tremorsense and a burrow speed, so would its Earth Glide also allow it to punch through a few feet of mud without ever making itself visible to an enemy?

No brains
2020-06-16, 07:04 AM
Q52
Am I correct in my reading a Rod of Absorption can only ever absorb 50 levels of spells? That using the absorbed spell levels does not give back levels of absorption?

Q53
Am I correct that a Staff of the Magi does not have the hard limit of only absorbing 50 levels of spells ever? That casting spells out of it gives you back levels to use in absorption?

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-16, 08:15 AM
Q51

I guess this is more of an opinion issue, but would an earth elemental be allowed to attack from underground without ever resurfacing? It's got the reach, tremorsense and a burrow speed, so would its Earth Glide also allow it to punch through a few feet of mud without ever making itself visible to an enemy?

A51: Yes. It’s one of my favorite attack vectors for these creatures.

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-16, 08:19 AM
Q52
Am I correct in my reading a Rod of Absorption can only ever absorb 50 levels of spells? That using the absorbed spell levels does not give back levels of absorption?

Q53
Am I correct that a Staff of the Magi does not have the hard limit of only absorbing 50 levels of spells ever? That casting spells out of it gives you back levels to use in absorption?

A52: Yes, both of those statements are true.

Mr Adventurer
2020-06-16, 10:53 AM
A51: Yes. It’s one of my favorite attack vectors for these creatures.

I think this isn't clear from the RAW. Earth Glide doesn't reference attacks, only movement.

Personally as a DM, I would rule that at best the elemental could leave part of its body underground, gaining a degree of Cover.

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-16, 11:03 AM
I think this isn't clear from the RAW. Earth Glide doesn't reference attacks, only movement.

Personally as a DM, I would rule that at best the elemental could leave part of its body underground, gaining a degree of Cover.

R51: Their description specifically states, “Earth elementals glide through rock and earth as though they were liquid.” Therefore the Underwater Combat rules would apply since water is a liquid. With all of the stipulations that those rules require.

They would indeed also have cover unless their attacker had a way of ignoring cover and treating earth as a liquid.

Dmdork
2020-06-17, 01:58 AM
Q54 I have one first level spell left. We long rest. Just before my long rest is done, can I cast Mage armor, then finish my long rest and get all my spells back, giving myself Mage armor for the beginning of my day, with a full spell bank?

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-17, 11:33 AM
Q54 I have one first level spell left. We long rest. Just before my long rest is done, can I cast Mage armor, then finish my long rest and get all my spells back, giving myself Mage armor for the beginning of my day, with a full spell bank?

A54: No. “If the rest is interrupted by a period of strenuous activity — at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, casting spells, or similar adventuring activity — the characters must begin the rest again to gain any benefit from it.”

ThePolarBear
2020-06-17, 02:12 PM
A54: No. “If the rest is interrupted by a period of strenuous activity — at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, casting spells, or similar adventuring activity — the characters must begin the rest again to gain any benefit from it.”

Contesting 54

Yes, it is possible, assuming a character can know when spell slots will be refreshed at all to begin with.

"1 hour of" - list. If "1 hour" didn't apply to anything that is separated by the comma (ending in ", or") a different timeframe would be needed, like a new verb would be needed to change what action is applied to that particular element of the list: "Walking on brick roads, catwalks, or carpets causes ..." is different from "Walking on roads, climbing on catwalks, or caressing a carpet all carry the same risk of ...".

There is no other dependency to rest on: for example: "a period of strenous activity - at least ??? fighting" just doesn't work.
"A period of strenous activity - fighting" while correct and working as a phrase, changes the meaning that the presence of "1 hour of" clearly defines: that that part of the text is there to make explicit how long the "period" is. Thus such a meaning is not reasonable conclusion for intended reading: it's not just a list of activities.
Even if we were to take it as correct there's no defined period: it would still be incorrect to say "No" as a RAW answer. It would simply be "undefined".

Galithar
2020-06-18, 04:21 AM
Contesting 54

Yes, it is possible, assuming a character can know when spell slots will be refreshed at all to begin with.

"1 hour of" - list. If "1 hour" didn't apply to anything that is separated by the comma (ending in ", or") a different timeframe would be needed, like a new verb would be needed to change what action is applied to that particular element of the list: "Walking on brick roads, catwalks, or carpets causes ..." is different from "Walking on roads, climbing on catwalks, or caressing a carpet all carry the same risk of ...".

There is no other dependency to rest on: for example: "a period of strenous activity - at least ??? fighting" just doesn't work.
"A period of strenous activity - fighting" while correct and working as a phrase, changes the meaning that the presence of "1 hour of" clearly defines: that that part of the text is there to make explicit how long the "period" is. Thus such a meaning is not reasonable conclusion for intended reading: it's not just a list of activities.
Even if we were to take it as correct there's no defined period: it would still be incorrect to say "No" as a RAW answer. It would simply be "undefined".

R54

You are parsing the rules in a way that most people wouldn't. Discussing this would go beyond the scope of this thread, but OP or you can create a new one if you would like to further discuss this.

Casting spells during a rest interrupts it. This is why Sorcerers often use Extend metamagic with left over slots to do the same thing. An extended Mage Armor would last for 16 hours, after 8 hours of rest this results in the same effect as OP was asking about while abiding by the rules.

Chronos
2020-06-18, 06:13 AM
Re 54:

To interpret the rules in that way would imply that characters sometimes spend a full hour, 600 rounds, in combat or spellcasting. As this is something that is not in any way supported by the game system, this interpretation must be incorrect. It is, however, quite possible for characters to spend that amount of time walking.

Mr Adventurer
2020-06-18, 07:49 AM
Re 54:

To interpret the rules in that way would imply that characters sometimes spend a full hour, 600 rounds, in combat or spellcasting. As this is something that is not in any way supported by the game system, this interpretation must be incorrect. It is, however, quite possible for characters to spend that amount of time walking.

I agree with you but several spells have a casting time of an hour or longer.

Mr Adventurer
2020-06-18, 08:18 AM
Q55

Are Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade legitimate subjects of the War Caster feat cast-as-Reaction benefit? Is Booming Blade a legitimate subject of Twin Spell metamagic?

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-18, 08:27 AM
Q55

Are Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade legitimate subjects of the War Caster feat cast-as-Reaction benefit? Is Booming Blade a legitimate subject of Twin Spell metamagic?

A55: Yes! You’re Casting a Spell that affects 1 person.

Chronos
2020-06-18, 04:45 PM
A 55 correction:

Booming Blade is a spell that affects only one creature. Green Flame Blade, however, can affect two creatures.

Mr Adventurer
2020-06-21, 02:00 PM
Q56

Do all constructs wink out of existence in an Antimagic Field, since they were created by magic? If not, where can I read about this?

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-21, 04:59 PM
Q56

Do all constructs wink out of existence in an Antimagic Field, since they were created by magic? If not, where can I read about this?

A56: Depends on the construct. Some are created by magic, while others are naturally occurring.

From the PH (Antimagic Field):
Creatures and Objects. A creature or object summoned or created by magic temporarily winks out of existence in the sphere. Such a creature instantly reappears once the space the creature occupied is no longer within the sphere.

From the MM (Creature Types):
Constructs are made, not born. Some are programmed by their creators to follow a simple set of instructions, while others are imbued with sentience and capable of independent thought. Golems are the iconic constructs. Many creatures native to the outer plane of Mechanus, such as modrons, are constructs shaped from the raw material of the plane by the will of more powerful creatures.

So a golem (creature type: construct; description: “Stone golems are magical constructs..." [Basic Rules, p.154]) would wink out of existence within the field, but a modron (creature type: construct; description: "...a new modron is created by Primus…" would not.

That being said, it's generally good advice to talk over any spell and especially a high level spell, with your DM to see how it works at their table.

leogobsin
2020-06-21, 06:00 PM
Q56

A56 Certain constructs (the 3 animated objects) have a trait called Antimagic Susceptibility which says they are incapacitated inside an Antimagic Field. I would think from that we can assume any creature that doesn't have a similar trait isn't affected by Antimagic Field (unless they've been summoned by a spell).

ThePolarBear
2020-06-22, 03:09 AM
A56: Depends on the construct. Some are created by magic, while others are naturally occurring.

[...]

So a golem (creature type: construct; description: "…are magical constructs...") would wink out of existence within the field, but a modron (creature type: construct; description: "...a new modron is created by Primus…" would not.

That being said, it's generally good advice to talk over any spell and especially a high level spell, with your DM to see how it works at their table.

Contesting 56:

I can't find any mention of the golem being "magical" anywhere in the text. The highlighted part, as far as i know, doesn't exist. Golems are no more "magical" than a weapon created with the Fabricate spell as far as the text goes. By what you provided as quotes for the types, there's no mention of them being magical, as there isn't in their own description.

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-22, 08:23 AM
Contesting 56:

I can't find any mention of the golem being "magical" anywhere in the text. The highlighted part, as far as i know, doesn't exist. Golems are no more "magical" than a weapon created with the Fabricate spell as far as the text goes. By what you provided as quotes for the types, there's no mention of them being magical, as there isn't in their own description.

R56: I’ve updated my answer to this text: “Stone golems are magical constructs..." [Basic Rules, p.154]).

ThePolarBear
2020-06-22, 12:19 PM
R56: I’ve updated my answer to this text: “Stone golems are magical constructs..." [Basic Rules, p.154]).

Thanks for the quote. An interesting difference between the BRs and the MM. Note, however, that your conclusion is still lacking: Stone Golems are magical constructs. Other golems still are not. "So a golem" only works for Stone Golems.

(Notice: i'm completely disregarding the "or created by magic" approach, here. Just want to make sure it is known that RAW i could agree that golems DO disappear because of that, but not for the reasons you bring forward. But that's a whole other can of worms, for which we do have RAI: not meant to.)

Chronos
2020-06-22, 04:19 PM
Re 56:

There might also be a distinction between "created by magic" and "animated by magic". Even the constructs that are known to be susceptible to an Antimagic Field don't wink out of existence; they simply cease to be animated.

Cizak
2020-06-23, 01:07 AM
Q57

Is the creature affected by a vengeance paladin’s Abjure Enemy still frightened if the paladin goes unconscious?

Chaos Jackal
2020-06-23, 03:39 AM
Q57

Is the creature affected by a vengeance paladin’s Abjure Enemy still frightened if the paladin goes unconscious?

A57

To my knowledge, there's no need for a feared creature's target to be conscious in order for the fear effect to stay in place. Abjure Enemy has no pseudo-concentration mechanic, so I don't see any reason why the effect wouldn't last for the full minute, even if the paladin falls unconscious.

Man on Fire
2020-06-23, 06:29 AM
Q58

Priest has Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon active. Acolyte casts sanctuary on him. On his turn Fighter fails save against guardians. On his turn priest attacks with spiritual weapon. Which, if any, of those will dispell sanctuary cast on the priest?

Chronos
2020-06-23, 07:17 AM
A 58:

The Spirit Guardians does not end Sanctuary. It's a spell that affects enemies, but the character isn't casting it, and it's the casting that ends Sanctuary.

Attacking with the Spiritual Weapon does end Sanctuary, since the caster of the Spiritual Weapon rolls an attack roll, and is therefore making an attack.

ThePolarBear
2020-06-23, 07:39 AM
Q58

Priest has Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon active. Acolyte casts sanctuary on him. On his turn Fighter fails save against guardians. On his turn priest attacks with spiritual weapon. Which, if any, of those will dispell sanctuary cast on the priest?

A58

The moment the Priest deals damage with Spirit Guardians. That's one of the conditions that make Sanctuary end and the first one to happen in the order provided.

Mr Adventurer
2020-06-23, 08:58 AM
Q59

When rolling a treasure hoard, do you roll once per column (gems or art objects; then magic items) or do you roll 1d100 and apply the same result from both columns?

AHF
2020-06-23, 09:48 AM
A58

The moment the Priest deals damage with Spirit Guardians. That's one of the conditions that make Sanctuary end and the first one to happen in the order provided.

I may be missing something but I don’t see doing damage as a condition that makes Sanctuary end:

“If the warded creature makes an Attack or casts a spell that affects an enemy creature, this spell ends.”

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-23, 09:50 AM
Q59

When rolling a treasure hoard, do you roll once per column (gems or art objects; then magic items) or do you roll 1d100 and apply the same result from both columns?

A59: You use the same roll for both columns.

From the D&D Beyond MM: “Every treasure hoard contains a random number of coins, as shown at the top of each table. Roll a d100 and consult the table to determine how many gemstones or art objects the hoard contains, if any. Use the same roll to determine whether the hoard contains magic items.”

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-23, 09:52 AM
I may be missing something but I don’t see doing damage as a condition that makes Sanctuary end:

“If the warded creature makes an Attack or casts a spell that affects an enemy creature, this spell ends.”

R58: From: https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/PH-Errata.pdf

Sanctuary (p. 273). The final sentence now reads, “If the warded creature makes an attack, casts a spell that affects an enemy, or deals damage to another creature, this spell ends.”

No brains
2020-06-23, 11:59 AM
Q60 Can a permanent teleportation circle on the Material Plane be a target for a teleport to the equivalent spot on the Ethereal Plane? If one is on the Ethereal Plane, does one need to target a teleportation circle specifically made on that plane?

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-23, 12:16 PM
Q60 Can a permanent teleportation circle on the Material Plane be a target for a teleport to the equivalent spot on the Ethereal Plane? If one is on the Ethereal Plane, does one need to target a teleportation circle specifically made on that plane?

A60: You must be on the same plane of existence. The first sentence of Teleportation Circle states this requirement.

AHF
2020-06-23, 12:22 PM
R58: From: https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/PH-Errata.pdf

Sanctuary (p. 273). The final sentence now reads, “If the warded creature makes an attack, casts a spell that affects an enemy, or deals damage to another creature, this spell ends.”

Thanks for the source on this one! You guys do a great job.

The Shoeless
2020-06-24, 02:19 PM
Q61 What constitutes as a weapon damage roll?

A barbarian attacking and hitting with a weapon that does 1 damage (e.g. a torch) can't add their strength bonus or rage damage bonus as those are only added to damage rolls. Would that barbarian choose the zealot path to add 1d6+1/2 barbarian level extra radiant damage, would they have a damage roll now?

Q62 If yes, would the damage added via strength and rage damage bonus added as fire damage (the torch) or radiant damage (the roll)?

Kracky
2020-06-26, 06:25 PM
Q63

Some guidance please ?

What are the rules that determine what a character can do if he is ''mind controlled'' and where are they please ?

My group is having a discussion about reactions and altered state of minds

I cant find the relevant passages

Thanks in advance

K

Chronos
2020-06-27, 07:02 AM
A 63:

There are no general rules for mind control. The rules are all in the individual effects that produce the control. For instance, if the character is affected by the Dominate Person spell, then the rules are in the description of that spell.

TheCleverGuy
2020-06-28, 07:07 AM
Q64

If a creature has multiple types of movement (eg, a walk speed, a fly speed, and a swim speed), can it use it's full range of each of those on its turn? Could, say, a black dragon swim for 40 ft, then surface and fly for another 80 ft as part its normal movement (ie, without using an action to dash)?

da newt
2020-06-28, 08:14 AM
A64

Nope. If you have a 30' walk distance and 60' fly distance you can walk 15' then switch to flying but the 15' come off your fly distance so you have 45' fly left.

PHB pg 190

ByzantiumBhuka
2020-06-28, 07:41 PM
Q65: Can a monk using an active Animated Shield still use Unarmored Defense? (In other words, if you're not holding it, can you still be wielding it?) By extension, can you use the Protection fighting style if your Animated Shield is active?

Chronos
2020-06-29, 07:10 AM
A 65:
The shield "protects you as if you were wielding it". This says to me that, for purposes of it protecting you, it's as if you were wielding it, but for any other purpose, you're not wielding it. So a monk's unarmored defense would still work, but a fighter's protection fighting style would not.

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-30, 10:44 AM
Q61 What constitutes as a weapon damage roll?

A barbarian attacking and hitting with a weapon that does 1 damage (e.g. a torch) can't add their strength bonus or rage damage bonus as those are only added to damage rolls. Would that barbarian choose the zealot path to add 1d6+1/2 barbarian level extra radiant damage, would they have a damage roll now?

Q62 If yes, would the damage added via strength and rage damage bonus added as fire damage (the torch) or radiant damage (the roll)?

A61: It's literally the difference between adding a flat amount of damage or a random amount in the form of a die/dice roll.

Notes:

Unless otherwise specified in the description you always add the relevant ability modifier: "When attacking with a weapon, you add your ability modifier — the same modifier used for the attack roll — to the damage."
Additionally you can add your Rage bonus as well: "Magic weapons, special abilities, and other factors can grant a bonus to damage."
The underlined segments are my emphasis to illustrate that they don't specify a "roll" just "damage," even though they're in the subsection "Damage Rolls".
(https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/combat#DamageRolls)

A62: No. Both the ability modifier and rage bonuses specify "weapon."

BeefGood
2020-06-30, 11:26 AM
Q66 Can druids decide which cantrips to prepare just as they decide which spells to prepare, or is the cantrip list unchangeable except for adding one at 4th and 10th level?

E’Tallitnics
2020-06-30, 01:27 PM
Q66 Can druids decide which cantrips to prepare just as they decide which spells to prepare, or is the cantrip list unchangeable except for adding one at 4th and 10th level?

A66: No, they cannot.

Reynaerde
2020-06-30, 01:41 PM
Q67

Is a simulacrum created by a changeling itself able to use the shapeshifter racial feature?

leogobsin
2020-07-01, 10:43 AM
Q67

Is a simulacrum created by a changeling itself able to use the shapeshifter racial feature?

A67 A simulacrum has all the statistics of the creature it's duplicating, and that would include racial traits.

Dmdork
2020-07-01, 12:50 PM
Q68 I attack the cleric. I fail my sanctuary save. Can I move to redirect my attack?

Dmdork
2020-07-02, 02:10 AM
Q69 Does Dispel Magic work on Contagion?

Chronos
2020-07-02, 06:51 AM
A 69:

It's a disease, so anything that cures a disease works on it, and it's also a spell effect, so anything that removes a spell effect also works on it. So yes, a Dispel Magic would work, though, since it's a 5th-level spell, the Dispel Magic would either need to be upcast, or have a chance of failure.

da newt
2020-07-02, 10:05 AM
Q68 I attack the cleric. I fail my sanctuary save. Can I move to redirect my attack?

A68: YES Assuming the cleric/target is the one with SANCTUARY cast on them "on a failed save the creature must choose a new target or lose the attack/spell"

LtPowers
2020-07-02, 01:56 PM
A68: YES Assuming the cleric/target is the one with SANCTUARY cast on them "on a failed save the creature must choose a new target or lose the attack/spell"

R68: The question was whether the attacker can move before attacking the new target.

Powers &8^]

da newt
2020-07-02, 03:47 PM
A68

If you have movement remaining you can move before, during, or after BA and actions and split up movements as you like - so YES.

BeefGood
2020-07-06, 08:29 PM
Q70 This is regarding the Cobbler’s Tools Maintain Shoes ability from Xanathars p. 80. The wording seems to allow the benefit—6 creatures traveling for 10 hours w/o exhaustion—day after day after day, because the cobbler could re-repair everyone’s shoes during every long rest. Is this correct?

E’Tallitnics
2020-07-06, 08:39 PM
Q70 This is regarding the Cobbler’s Tools Maintain Shoes ability from Xanathars p. 80. The wording seems to allow the benefit—6 creatures traveling for 10 hours w/o exhaustion—day after day after day, because the cobbler could re-repair everyone’s shoes during every long rest. Is this correct?

A70: That’s correct. It’s specifically called out as ‘part’ of their long rest!

Chronos
2020-07-07, 09:23 AM
Q 71 A:

A natural 1 or natural 20 on a saving throw is no longer an auto-fail/auto-success, correct?

Q 71 B:
Assuming that's correct, what happens when a character with +9 or more to death saves (such as a high-level monk allied with a nearby charismatic paladin) rolls a natural 1 on a death save? Does it count as a success (because the total meets the DC of 10), two failures (because it's a natural 1), or both? And if both, what if that's enough to simultaneously get the monk to 3 of each?

E’Tallitnics
2020-07-07, 10:43 AM
Q 71 A:

A natural 1 or natural 20 on a saving throw is no longer an auto-fail/auto-success, correct?

Q 71 B:
Assuming that's correct, what happens when a character with +9 or more to death saves (such as a high-level monk allied with a nearby charismatic paladin) rolls a natural 1 on a death save? Does it count as a success (because the total meets the DC of 10), two failures (because it's a natural 1), or both? And if both, what if that's enough to simultaneously get the monk to 3 of each?

A71a+b: https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/combat#DeathSavingThrows
(https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/combat#DeathSavingThrows)
Of Note:
“Unlike other saving throws, this one isn't tied to any ability score. You are in the hands of fate now, aided only by spells and features that improve your chances of succeeding on a saving throw.” (Underlined text is my emphasis.)

“Rolling 1 or 20. When you make a death saving throw and roll a 1 on the d20, it counts as two failures. If you roll a 20 on the d20, you regain 1 hit point.”

So a character's ability modifiers do not come into play, unless a specific ‘feature’ states otherwise. A Paladin's Aura would added to their roll, unless it’s a 1 or 20.

Chronos
2020-07-07, 02:28 PM
Re 71:
But both a monk's Diamond Soul and a paladin's Aura of Protection are features that improve all saving throws (not just those associated with ability scores). Between them, it's possible to get a total bonus of +11 to death saves, and I don't see anything that says that that bonus wouldn't apply to a natural roll of 1 (for a total of 12, exceeding the 10 DC).

E’Tallitnics
2020-07-07, 04:03 PM
Re 71:
But both a monk's Diamond Soul and a paladin's Aura of Protection are features that improve all saving throws (not just those associated with ability scores). Between them, it's possible to get a total bonus of +11 to death saves, and I don't see anything that says that that bonus wouldn't apply to a natural roll of 1 (for a total of 12, exceeding the 10 DC).

R71: Note that Death Saves are a specific subset of the rules where specific beats general. Also note that in this section it specifically mentions allowing class features before it specifies what happens on a 1 or 20. (So they're even more specific beats general within the same section.)

For both ends of the spectrum it states "on the d20" and nothing else. There's no allowance there to modify the die roll. The moment a 1 or 20 happens on a Death Saving Throw something specific happens.

If you don't roll a 1 or a 20 then those class features would indeed kick in.

TheCleverGuy
2020-07-07, 04:34 PM
Q72

Does a character need to make a new saving throw for every round that they remain in the area of a Zone of Truth spell?

Chrizzt
2020-07-08, 06:46 AM
Q73:

Does the spell foresight also give you advantage on counterspell/dispel magic checks and on iniative?

Chronos
2020-07-08, 08:11 AM
A 72:
One of the conditions under which a creature must roll a save is starting their turn in the area, and failing such a save has a described effect, but there is no effect (such as immunity to future saves) given for a successful save. Therefore, yes, a creature must save repeatedly if they stay in the area.

A 73:
Initiative rolls and dispel checks are both kinds of ability checks, which is one of the categories of rolls on which Foresight grants advantage (it also grants it on attack rolls and saving throws, which between them cover almost all d20 rolls in the game).

Chrizzt
2020-07-09, 06:36 AM
Q74:
Can a sorcerer with the ritual caster feat and the "extend spell" metamagic extend spells cast by ritual caster (supposed the spell cast by ritual caster would be eligible for extend spell if cast normally via a slot)? e.g. shadow steed or detect magic?

DevilMcam
2020-07-09, 09:14 AM
A74 :
The extended spell metamagic reauire neither the spell being cast trhough a spell slot nor being a sorcerer spell.
So you can absolutely extend a wizard ritual for which the duration qualifies.

No brains
2020-07-09, 09:34 PM
Q75

If I'm reading the spell correctly, when a creature is using magic to be Invisible, Detect Magic can detect that there is magic nearby, but no amount of focus would pinpoint the creature or identify the school of magic, correct?

It seems like you can detect any magic nearby, but you can only see auras on visible articles.

Dmdork
2020-07-14, 03:42 AM
Q76 does bless, lucky feat, halfling luck racial feature, and a Pally's aura of protection help with death saves?

leogobsin
2020-07-14, 04:37 AM
Q76 does bless, lucky feat, halfling luck racial feature, and a Pally's aura of protection help with death saves?

A76 Yes to all. Death saving throws are saving throws, anything that affects saving throws affects them.

BeefGood
2020-07-14, 08:21 PM
Q77 Can a character climb a wall of thorns without taking damage? On the one hand, the wording seems to allow this, because the wording says that the damage is taken when the character "enters the wall" and climbing the wall wouldn't count as entering it (in my opinion). On the other hand, it doesn't seem right that a 6th level spell can be so easily circumvented.

Dmdork
2020-07-15, 06:49 AM
Q78 can pretty much anyone use a scroll?

Chronos
2020-07-15, 07:44 AM
A 78:

For scrolls in general, as described on DMG 139, the only requirement is understanding a written language, which almost all PCs do. However, for spell scrolls specifically, the most common type, more specific rules on DMG 200 specify that the spell must be on your class spell list. So far as I know, the only other type of magic scroll is the scroll of protection (DMG 199), which can be used, again, by almost anyone.

Gigaria
2020-07-16, 06:28 AM
Q75

If I'm reading the spell correctly, when a creature is using magic to be Invisible, Detect Magic can detect that there is magic nearby, but no amount of focus would pinpoint the creature or identify the school of magic, correct?

It seems like you can detect any magic nearby, but you can only see auras on visible articles.

A75 Yes.

Detect magic detects the "presence of magic within 30 feet of you" which includes a creature under the invisibility spell. However, "you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic" since it is not visible you can't detect an aura around it. (Emphasis mine)

Necrosnoop110
2020-07-17, 01:57 PM
Q78 Does 5E have creature templates and/or monstrous progressions that PCs could use? If so where are they located?

Necrosnoop110
2020-07-18, 11:45 AM
Q79 Is there such a thing as spellcraft? If and how can you identify spells being cast?

E’Tallitnics
2020-07-18, 01:36 PM
Q79 Is there such a thing as spellcraft? If and how can you identify spells being cast?

A79: “Xanathar’s Guide to Everything” has those rules. A reaction + Arcana check (DC 15 + Spell’s Level) as it’s being cast, or an Action afterwards (same DC formula).

E’Tallitnics
2020-07-18, 01:39 PM
Q78 Does 5E have creature templates and/or monstrous progressions that PCs could use? If so where are they located?

A78: The DMG has a Half-dragon template example + stat block. I’m not aware of any monstrous progressions other than giving that creature a class.

Chronos
2020-07-19, 07:18 AM
A 78 continued:
Volo's Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, between them, contain rules for using most humanoid monsters as PC races. These races work like any other race, which often involves a significant decrease in power level from the default version of that monster (you need not and cannot level up in a "monster class" to get more of the monster's abilities).

Dmdork
2020-07-20, 08:21 PM
Q80 Ravnica. Centaur. Weight 600lbs x2d12? How does that make sense for a medium sized creature?

E’Tallitnics
2020-07-20, 11:07 PM
Q80 Ravnica. Centaur. Weight 600lbs x2d12? How does that make sense for a medium sized creature?

A80: Sorry DM Dork but that’s not a RAW question. Best to create your own thread in the main forum if you wish to discuss what’s ‘sensible’ in D&D.

Also: https://horserookie.com/how-much-do-horses-weigh/

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-07-21, 12:46 AM
Q81

What is the formula to calculate CR?
I searched the DMG and wasn't able to find it.
All I found was a table with defensive and offensive CR, not how to calculate the CR of a monster based on her stats.

Kracky
2020-07-21, 01:21 AM
Q82

Can a Kobold be affected by Lycanthropy ?

IE given the variant humanoid rule and the Kobolds description of Humanoid/Reptilian

Thanks

Chronos
2020-07-21, 07:55 AM
A 81:
That table (on pg. 274) is how you calculate the challenge rating. You use the HP (as modified by AC, as described in "Step 4. Final Challenge Rating") to look up the defensive CR, and you use the damage/round (as modified by attack bonus, as described in that section) to look up the offensive CR, and then you average t defensive and offensive CR together. There is no formula (though you may be able to fit one from the data); you just have to do the table lookup. Also note, of course, that like everything in the DM's purview, these "rules" are only guidelines.

A 82:
By the standard RAW, any humanoid can contract lycanthropy, and kobolds are humanoids. The rules for lycanthropes suggest, as a variant rule, that lycanthropes of non-human origin might retain some of their racial features. Absent this variant rule, nonhuman lycanthropes are still possible; they just have the same stats as human lycanthropes.

BeefGood
2020-07-21, 10:18 AM
Does anyone have thoughts on Q77 ? Thanks in advance.

E’Tallitnics
2020-07-21, 01:13 PM
Q77 Can a character climb a wall of thorns without taking damage? On the one hand, the wording seems to allow this, because the wording says that the damage is taken when the character "enters the wall" and climbing the wall wouldn't count as entering it (in my opinion). On the other hand, it doesn't seem right that a 6th level spell can be so easily circumvented.

A77: “Wall” is nothing more than the shape of the spell to help define its area. The actual text is, “…pliable brush…” and since it doesn’t mention either way if it can, or cannot, be climbed it’ll be up to the DM.

Dmdork
2020-07-23, 01:50 AM
Q83 can a barbarian benefit from Mage armor?

Millstone85
2020-07-23, 03:49 AM
A83 Yes, if their Constitution modifier is less than 3, making it so 13 + Dex > 10 + Dex + Con.

Man on Fire
2020-07-23, 07:13 AM
Q84

If a monster had resistance or immunity to damage from nonmagical weapons does that include damage from spells cast on the wielder that don't affect the weapon directly, like divine favor, or from abilitties like divine smite?

LtPowers
2020-07-23, 10:49 AM
Q84

If a monster had resistance or immunity to damage from nonmagical weapons does that include damage from spells cast on the wielder that don't affect the weapon directly, like divine favor, or from abilitties like divine smite?

A84

I don't believe any monster has blanket resistance or immunity to damage from nonmagical weapons. I believe they all say "bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical attacks" (emphasis mine).

Divine favor and Divine Smite do not make the attack magical. They deal additional damage that is radiant. That has no effect on the base weapon damage and its resistibility, but the additional damage is radiant and not bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing.

Powers &8^]

No brains
2020-07-23, 11:05 AM
Re 84
Suppose in the case of a weapon that has been enlargeed? Is that 'magical' b/p/s damage?

LtPowers
2020-07-23, 12:27 PM
Re 84
Suppose in the case of a weapon that has been enlargeed? Is that 'magical' b/p/s damage?

R84

I don't believe so. Being affected by magic does not make an item magical as far as I can see. A DM could rule otherwise, though.

Powers &8^]

No brains
2020-07-23, 05:40 PM
Q85
a What is the creature with the lowest CR that can cast Detect Magic at will?
b What is the creature with the lowest CR that can cast Detect Magic at all?
c Can creatures use ritual casting if they have spellcasting from a class that grants that feature?

Misterwhisper
2020-07-23, 05:59 PM
Q86

Can you choose not not use certain defenses at the time of an attack.

Ex.

I want to use hellish rebuke or armor of agathys or whatever and I am holding a shield. Can I choose to not add the bonus from the shield to my ac?

Or

If I have THP do I have to use them or can I choose to take the damage myself?

Or

Can I choose not to use arcane ward’s HP and instead take it myself to save the ho of the ward?

Chronos
2020-07-23, 06:11 PM
A 85 b:

Both the Acolyte and the Apprentice Mage are CR 1/4, and you can't get much lower than that. Neither is listed as typically preparing Detect Magic, but both cast as prepared casters, from class spell lists that include that spell, so either could prepare it if they chose.

Also CR 1/4 is the specific individual Volothamp Geddarm, who also casts as a 1st-level wizard, and is explicitly listed as typically preparing Detect Magic.

Chronos
2020-07-23, 06:18 PM
A 86 partial:

According to pg. 198 of the PHB, "When you have temporary hit points and take damage, the temporary hit points are lost first, and any leftover damage carries over to your normal hit points.". No option is given: The temp HP are lost first.

Similarly, from page 115, "Whenever you take damage, the ward takes the damage instead.". Again, no option is given.

I don't know the answer for shields, but I think that there might be a rule somewhere that you can simply choose to be hit by an attack, regardless of AC.

E’Tallitnics
2020-07-24, 11:46 AM
Q85
a What is the creature with the lowest CR that can cast Detect Magic at will?
b What is the creature with the lowest CR that can cast Detect Magic at all?
c Can creatures use ritual casting if they have spellcasting from a class that grants that feature?

A85a: According to DDB it's Warlock of the Great Old One (VTtM) that's a CR6 creature.

A85c: No. The class feature that allows ritual casting specifically states spells of that class.

Example from Cleric (underline emphasis mine):
Ritual Casting
You can cast a cleric spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared.

E’Tallitnics
2020-07-24, 11:54 AM
Q86

Can you choose not not use certain defenses at the time of an attack.

Ex.

I want to use hellish rebuke or armor of agathys or whatever and I am holding a shield. Can I choose to not add the bonus from the shield to my ac?

Or

If I have THP do I have to use them or can I choose to take the damage myself?

Or

Can I choose not to use arcane ward’s HP and instead take it myself to save the ho of the ward?

R86: To add to the reply from Chronos: The text of shield states, "Wielding a shield increases your Armor Class by 2," so a character could simply choose to not wield the shield and thereby lower their AC by 2.

The RAW state that an attack is made against a creatures AC, and as far as I could tell there's no allowance for a creature simply allowing themselves to be hit. So "check with your DM" is going to be the answer to that part of your question.

Chronos
2020-07-24, 12:16 PM
Re 85c:

Quoth E’Tallitnics:

No. The class feature that allows ritual casting specifically states spells of that class.
I don't think this answers the question that No Brains was asking. An Acolyte, for instance, is a creature that casts spells like a 1st-level cleric. The question was not whether the Acolyte can (by any means) cast non-cleric spells; the question was whether an Acolyte could cast a cleric spell as a ritual, provided that it met the conditions. For instance, if an Acolyte prepares Detect Magic, could it then cast that spell without using a spell slot, by spending a longer time on it?

E’Tallitnics
2020-07-24, 02:02 PM
Re 85c:I don't think this answers the question that No Brains was asking. An Acolyte, for instance, is a creature that casts spells like a 1st-level cleric. The question was not whether the Acolyte can (by any means) cast non-cleric spells; the question was whether an Acolyte could cast a cleric spell as a ritual, provided that it met the conditions. For instance, if an Acolyte prepares Detect Magic, could it then cast that spell without using a spell slot, by spending a longer time on it?R85c: Please keep in mind that this is a strict RAW thread. The MM contains 47 instances of "ritual" or "rituals" and none of them pertain to a creature's stat block. Therefore they cannot use ritual casting RAW. I apologize for not mentioning this in my original reply. I assumed that this was known, and therefore when No Brains mentioned "class" I figured that 85c was not connected to the first two part and this person has indeed asking about class features (which creatures in the MM don't have per se). Also note that if the DM elects to change a stat block of a creature (as in your example), such as in preparing a different spell than what's listed, it's no longer RAW.

NecessaryWeevil
2020-07-27, 12:55 PM
Q87: Are there any armours or shields that don't require (i.e. don't penalize) non-proficiency? My Divine Soul Sorceror needs better AC and I'd rather not multiclass if I can help it.

LtPowers
2020-07-27, 03:24 PM
Q87: Are there any armours or shields that don't require (i.e. don't penalize) non-proficiency? My Divine Soul Sorceror needs better AC and I'd rather not multiclass if I can help it.

A87

Yes. Elven chain does what you're looking for.

There are a number of other magic items and spells that can increase your AC, as well, but they are not armor or shields.

Powers &8^]

Man on Fire
2020-07-28, 08:43 AM
Q89

If a spell requiring concentration is cast into Ring of Spell Storing and then cast from it, does it still require concentration and from whom - ring's owner or original caster

E’Tallitnics
2020-07-28, 09:34 AM
Q89

If a spell requiring concentration is cast into Ring of Spell Storing and then cast from it, does it still require concentration and from whom - ring's owner or original caster

A89: “While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it. The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell attack bonus, and spellcasting ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell.”

So if the spell requires concentration it still does once cast, and the caster is the one doing the concentrating.

djreynolds
2020-07-29, 05:42 PM
Q90

A rogue/battlemaster uses evasive maneuver to up their A.C..

Move 30ft, Action dash 30 ft, action surge dash 30ft and use a bonus action for cunning action BA to dash 30ft.

Do this warrior get the A.C. bonus for the entire 120ft?

E’Tallitnics
2020-07-29, 06:34 PM
Q90

A rogue/battlemaster uses evasive maneuver to up their A.C..

Move 30ft, Action dash 30 ft, action surge dash 30ft and use a bonus action for cunning action BA to dash 30ft.

Do this warrior get the A.C. bonus for the entire 120ft?

A90: You bet! With the caveat that “Evasive Footwork” grants the bonus to AC from your superiority die until you stop moving, not just for the amount of speed that you have that round.

Taking the Dash action just adds to the speed you have, and moving uses up that speed.

Man on Fire
2020-07-31, 07:18 PM
Q91

What constitutes as "sunlight" for the purpose of Sunlight Sensitivity? In our last game, my players argued Sunlight in the description is used not to mean literally sunlight but a synonymous with bright light and that casting dancing lights or light cantrip right in front of Duegar with Sunlight Sensitivity should grant them a disadvantage. What is the official ruling on this?

E’Tallitnics
2020-07-31, 07:47 PM
Q91

What constitutes as "sunlight" for the purpose of Sunlight Sensitivity? In our last game, my players argued Sunlight in the description is used not to mean literally sunlight but a synonymous with bright light and that casting dancing lights or light cantrip right in front of Duegar with Sunlight Sensitivity should grant them a disadvantage. What is the official ruling on this?

A91: Sunlight comes from the Sun (or Suns if your world has more than one), and it is the common use of that term.

Other sources in the game will specifically use ‘sunlight’ in their description as opposed to any other terminology for a source of illumination.

For reference you and your group should read the descriptions of the spells “Dawn” and “Sunlight” to see the difference.

Chronos
2020-08-01, 06:27 AM
Q 92:

Speaking of the battlemaster's Evasive Maneuver, when are they considered to have "stopped moving"? If I move 15' to an enemy, attack it once, and then move 15' more, can I make that attack while moving? What if I attack the same enemy twice? Is it just on my turn, as long as I have movement remaining? Or does it maybe even apply for multiple turns, given that everyone is assumed to all be moving at once?

BeefGood
2020-08-04, 06:06 AM
Q93 Do exhaustion levels 2, speed halved, and 5, speed is 0, affect travel pace?

LtPowers
2020-08-04, 09:23 PM
Q93 Do exhaustion levels 2, speed halved, and 5, speed is 0, affect travel pace?

A93

Strictly speaking, the rules are silent on this specific scenario. But the PHB explains how to adjust overland travel times for difficult terrain, and the DMG makes clear that faster modes of transportation can travel at faster speeds overland. It may not be explicit in the rules, but I think the clear implication is that effects that change your speed do affect overland travel pace.

Powers &8^]

E’Tallitnics
2020-08-04, 11:39 PM
Q 92:

Speaking of the battlemaster's Evasive Maneuver, when are they considered to have "stopped moving"? If I move 15' to an enemy, attack it once, and then move 15' more, can I make that attack while moving? What if I attack the same enemy twice? Is it just on my turn, as long as I have movement remaining? Or does it maybe even apply for multiple turns, given that everyone is assumed to all be moving at once?

A92: “On your turn, you can move a distance up to your speed and take one action. You decide whether to move first or take your action first. Your speed--sometimes called your walking speed--is noted on your character sheet.”

Since attacking is an action the quoted rule as written above indicates that you’re no longer moving.

E’Tallitnics
2020-08-04, 11:47 PM

R93: They do, for the creature affected by exhaustion. That creature either needs to remove the exhaustion to remove the affect or find another mode of transportation.

Dmdork
2020-08-08, 12:58 AM
Q94 can a monk benefit from Mage Armor?

E’Tallitnics
2020-08-08, 01:22 AM

A94: Yes, but remember that any game mechanic that calculates an AC won’t stack. So Mage Armor and Unarmored Defense don’t stack. You choose which calculation to use.

Millstone85
2020-08-08, 04:44 AM
Q83 can a barbarian benefit from Mage armor?
A83 Yes, if their Constitution modifier is less than 3, making it so 13 + Dex > 10 + Dex + Con.
A94: Yes, but remember that any game mechanic that calculates an AC won’t stack. So Mage Armor and Unarmored Defense don’t stack. You choose which calculation to use.Yes, it is the same principle.

daremetoidareyo
2020-08-11, 04:29 PM
Q95
I just leveled up to rogue 4. I had expertise in thieves tools and sleight of hand. I took the quick fingers feat. At level 4, the UA allows you to swap one skill and learn another. Can I move my skill in sleight of hand to another skill, use quick fingers to gain proficiency in sleight of hand again, thereby maintaining expertise, for a net gain of a new skill?

E’Tallitnics
2020-08-11, 04:43 PM
Q95
I just leveled up to rogue 4. I had expertise in thieves tools and sleight of hand. I took the quick fingers feat. At level 4, the UA allows you to swap one skill and learn another. Can I move my skill in sleight of hand to another skill, use quick fingers to gain proficiency in sleight of hand again, thereby maintaining expertise, for a net gain of a new skill?

R95: Where do you see in “UA – Skill Feats” that you can replace a skill?

daremetoidareyo
2020-08-11, 06:51 PM
R95: Where do you see in “UA – Skill Feats” that you can replace a skill?

Proficiency versatility UACFV p.1

4th-level feature (enhances Ability Score Improvement)

"When you gain the Ability Score Improvement feature from your class, you can also replace one of your skill proficiencies with a skill proficiency offered by your class at 1st level (the proficiency you replace needn't be from the class).

This change represents one of your skills atrophying as you focus on a different skill."

E’Tallitnics
2020-08-11, 08:23 PM
Proficiency versatility UACFV p.1

4th-level feature (enhances Ability Score Improvement)

"When you gain the Ability Score Improvement feature from your class, you can also replace one of your skill proficiencies with a skill proficiency offered by your class at 1st level (the proficiency you replace needn't be from the class).

This change represents one of your skills atrophying as you focus on a different skill."

A95: RAW this is okay. If you were trying to swap out a different skill and keep expertise on the new skill there’s no RAW that supports that maneuver. But this is essentially Meta Gaming Bookkeeping.

Man on Fire
2020-08-13, 10:39 AM
Q96

"Damage Resistance/Immunities: piercing, slashing and bludgeoning damage from nonmagical attacks that aren't silvered"

Imp has this as resistance, werewolf as an immunity. Does that include hits dealt by magical weapons (eg. +1 hammer) or do they count as magical attacks?

Millstone85
2020-08-13, 11:00 AM
A96 From the SAC: "Every magic weapon can bypass resistances and immunities to damage from nonmagical attacks".

smp4life
2020-08-16, 07:43 PM
I can attune to an item OR un-attune to an item on a short rest, not both, correct?

Also, figuring out how an item works take a short rest as well.

I can't attune to an item or de-attune to an item on a long rest.

Therefore if I'm a pc with 3 attunements and i find an item that is not a potion or a scroll.

1. Just by handling the item I can tell it is magical.
2. I take a short rest to figure out what the item does.
3. I take another short rest to de-attune from an item.
4. I take a third short rest to attune to the item.

Is this RAW?

BeefGood
2020-08-17, 09:51 AM
Q98 I just realized that I don't know how to interpret ties in the case of Hiding. (a) The rogue attempts to hide, and his Stealth check equals the guard's passive Perception score. Is the rogue hidden? (b) A guard attempts to find a hidden rogue. The guard's Wisdom (Perception) check equals the rogue's Stealth check. Does the guard spot the rogue?

E’Tallitnics
2020-08-17, 12:24 PM
I can attune to an item OR un-attune to an item on a short rest, not both, correct?

Also, figuring out how an item works take a short rest as well.

I can't attune to an item or de-attune to an item on a long rest.

Therefore if I'm a pc with 3 attunements and i find an item that is not a potion or a scroll.

1. Just by handling the item I can tell it is magical.
2. I take a short rest to figure out what the item does.
3. I take another short rest to de-attune from an item.
4. I take a third short rest to attune to the item.

Is this RAW?

Reminder: Please include the appropriate number in an Answer, Question and/or Reply.

A97: You have the exact sequence of steps correctly defined.

E’Tallitnics
2020-08-17, 12:34 PM
Q98 I just realized that I don't know how to interpret ties in the case of Hiding. (a) The rogue attempts to hide, and his Stealth check equals the guard's passive Perception score. Is the rogue hidden? (b) A guard attempts to find a hidden rogue. The guard's Wisdom (Perception) check equals the rogue's Stealth check. Does the guard spot the rogue?

A98: To spot something that is hidden make a contested skill check: your Wisdom (Perception) vs its Dexterity (Stealth). In a tie nothing changes, which means that the Stealth didn’t work, since they were noticeable before the attempt.

Dmdork
2020-08-17, 09:15 PM
Q99 druid, spirit totem, bear. Temp hp lasts for 1min?

E’Tallitnics
2020-08-17, 09:45 PM
Q99 druid, spirit totem, bear. Temp hp lasts for 1min?

A99: Yes. “Unless a feature that grants you temporary hit points has a duration, they last until they're depleted or you finish a long rest.”

Since that feature has a duration they’re affected.