PDA

View Full Version : HexShield?

Nagog
2020-05-03, 01:46 PM
Howdy folks!

I have a player in my upcoming Decent into Avernus campaign who is interested in playing a Hexblade, and we were tossing around the idea of having their patron be the Shield of the Hidden Lord. Would such a stylistic choice change anything? Is there anything that could be a fun adjustment to compensate, i.e. Pact of the Blade being able to bond Shields? Using a Shield as a weapon?

Christew
2020-05-03, 07:54 PM
Howdy folks!

I have a player in my upcoming Decent into Avernus campaign who is interested in playing a Hexblade, and we were tossing around the idea of having their patron be the Shield of the Hidden Lord. Would such a stylistic choice change anything? Is there anything that could be a fun adjustment to compensate, i.e. Pact of the Blade being able to bond Shields? Using a Shield as a weapon?

Stylistically? Not a problem at all. Hexblade fluff is so poorly fleshed out that you can tweak it however you want with little impact.

Mechanically? Allowing Pact of the Blade to summon a shield in lieu of a weapon wouldn't have much impact. As far as attacking with a shield, existing mechanics are a little slim (Shield Mastery feat allows a shove, Tavern Brawler ostensibly allows attacks with shield as an improvised weapon). You could easily homebrew something that wouldn't be game breaking. Just keep the action economy and two handed weapon damage as a reference point in mind.

Arkhios
2020-05-03, 10:47 PM
Shield is primarily a defensive item, so I would personally try to flip the concept to favor defensive abilities instead. Make a Hexshield (honestly though, this needs a better name!) stand out from Hexblade more.

Something like reducing damage taken or chance to hit you even further.

Ability to create, summon and/or bond with a shield would definitely be a cool idea, so that should be part of this concept. (And it doesn't break anything)

Nagog
2020-05-03, 10:54 PM
Shield is primarily a defensive item, so I would personally try to flip the concept to favor defensive abilities instead. Make a Hexshield (honestly though, this needs a better name!) stand out from Hexblade more.

Something like reducing damage taken or chance to hit you even further.

Ability to create, summon and/or bond with a shield would definitely be a cool idea, so that should be part of this concept.

Like creating a new subclass for it?

.... That could be tons of fun. Perhaps as a twist on the broken shenanigans that is using Cha for attack and damage, this subclass could use Cha instead of Con when determining HP? XD

Arkhios
2020-05-03, 11:06 PM
Like creating a new subclass for it?

.... That could be tons of fun. Perhaps as a twist on the broken shenanigans that is using Cha for attack and damage, this subclass could use Cha instead of Con when determining HP? XD

That, or ...

If Hex Warrior and that your weapon is your Patron is enough to justify substituting Charisma for attack and damage rolls, I'd say a Patron Shield would be enough to justify something like substituting Charisma for Dexterity to AC while your shield is equipped. Or have Unarmored Defense calculation of 10 + Dex + Cha + Shield.

DrKerosene
2020-05-04, 01:55 AM
I’d probably consider allowing them to one or two Fighting Styles.

Like, that typical Defense Style available to Paladins, or possibly that UA Fighting Style called Interception (similar to a monk catching arrows), and say it also requires a shield.