PDA

View Full Version : The case of the missing module

LeeMon
2007-10-25, 02:02 PM
Consider this a bit of personal reminiscence.

My DM career started with an online game (via IRC) with online friends. I didn't have (nor had I ever read) the DMG at the time. I grabbed a module, drew creature stats out of thin air (based on the level of threat I felt the creature should pose to the party), and said "you've earned enough XP to level" at times I deemed appropriate. I also had my first major rules argument. (The players cast grease to coat an owlbear, then hit it with a lit torch, cheering as they presumed it was set on fire. I argued otherwise, which caused the game to stall and, more importantly, lose most of the player enthusiasm. It was an important lesson; nowadays I'd allow it for both player creativity and to keep the game moving.)

The module I'd selected was a 3e adventure, sending the players out on a mission to track down a missing aristocrat(?) sent as an emissary. It was a harsh winter in the northern lands; the players used a boat to travel up the river until it iced over, then crossed the woodlands to a small town. From the town, the players would meet a major NPC townsperson (who was actually responsible for the missing aristocrat) who sent them out to look with his assistant. The assistant, however, was leading the NPCs into an ambush (staged to look like a normal attack) and slipped away after (hiding in his boss' warehouse so the PCs couldn't find him).

Eventually, the players tracked down what was left of the diplomatic party, and ran into the orc tribe the aristrocrat was trying to meet. In an effort to prove their worth, they were sent to a cave of spirits as a trial.

I always liked the adventure, as it had a slightly deeper plot than most, had many interesting scenes, and provided character interactions that were more fun for me than "Joe McBoringguy offers Generic Fedex Quest #37." But, sadly, I don't have that module anymore. Worse yet, I can't figure out where it came from.

I don't remember the name; I thought it was "Dead of Winter," but that's the name of a very different d20 Modern module. I'd like to track it down if possible.

Anyone ever hear of this? Maybe play it? Know anything about it?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-25, 02:26 PM
The Dead of Winter by Keith Francis Strohm. It appeared in Dungeon and on the intro CD that came with the 3.0 PHB IIRC.

Here (http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_3889.html) is a review.

Frosty
2007-10-25, 02:42 PM
Setting a Grease Spell on fire is one of the thingd that people do all the time.

Swooper
2007-10-25, 02:44 PM
The Dead of Winter by Keith Francis Strohm...
Just as I read these words, Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica sang the line "...on this dead-winter night..." from the song Broken on my iTunes.

This is in no way relevant to the topic. It was just a weird coincidence.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-25, 02:49 PM
Setting a Grease Spell on fire is one of the thingd that people do all the time.

I think this post belongs in the cooking section. :smallamused:

Swooper: :smallbiggrin:

Jasdoif
2007-10-25, 02:50 PM
I think this post belongs in the cooking section. :smallamused:...great, now I'm trying to fathom how grease-fried popcorn would work.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-25, 02:58 PM
...great, now I'm trying to fathom how grease-fried popcorn would work.

It is not very healthy, so I try to stay clear of them. After all, I have to keep my fit shape. :smallamused:

LeeMon
2007-10-25, 03:04 PM
It's on the 3e CD? Oh no! I JUST threw that out on Saturday!

Wait, garbage is Friday! There's still time!

*dashes off*

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-25, 03:08 PM
LOL :smallbiggrin:

Let us know how this rurns out. :smalltongue:

Swooper
2007-10-25, 03:13 PM
...great, now I'm trying to fathom how grease-fried popcorn would work.
I'd make sure I had at least 5 ranks in Balance before trying it :smalltongue:

Jasdoif
2007-10-25, 03:19 PM
I'd make sure I had at least 5 ranks in Balance before trying it :smalltongue:The effect is dismissible, so that's not quite so bad....

Come to think of it...wouldn't food fried with magical grease actually be healthier then food fried with mundane grease, since the grease "vanishes without a trace" once the duration expires (or the spell is dismissed)? Only problem is cooking it in time...hmm, CL 20 with Extend Spell gives you four minutes....

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-25, 03:21 PM
The effect is dismissible, so that's not quite so bad....

Come to think of it...wouldn't food fried with magical grease actually be healthier then food fried with mundane grease, since the grease "vanishes without a trace" once the duration expires (or the spell is dismissed)? Only problem is cooking it in time...hmm, CL 20 with Extend Spell gives you four minutes....

You are saying something there, maybe I should try. :smalltongue:

Alex12
2007-10-25, 03:23 PM
The effect is dismissible, so that's not quite so bad....

You guys can use Grease and cook your popcorn the "normal" way. Me, I'll just cook my popcorn with Matter Agitation to get it done in a few seconds.:smallcool:

Jasdoif
2007-10-25, 03:32 PM
You guys can use Grease and cook your popcorn the "normal" way. Me, I'll just cook my popcorn with Matter Agitation to get it done in a few seconds.:smallcool:And then what? Use reality revision to attempt to duplicate a prestidigation spell to give it that deep-fried flavor? :smalltongue:

Alex12
2007-10-25, 03:53 PM
And then what? Use reality revision to attempt to duplicate a prestidigation spell to give it that deep-fried flavor? :smalltongue:

Actually, I could just Psionic Grease it first, then flash-cook it. I mean, sure, I'd need to be level 3 to do that, but that's not nearly as hard as Greasing it, then cooking it the normal way, and it's a lot safer than a Fireball.:smalltongue:

EDIT: or I could just research Psionic Prestidigitation. That would work too.

F.L.
2007-10-25, 03:54 PM
You guys can use Grease and cook your popcorn the "normal" way. Me, I'll just cook my popcorn with Matter Agitation to get it done in a few seconds.:smallcool:

Hmm, is your character's name Ray Theon?

Kyeudo
2007-10-25, 03:59 PM
EDIT: or I could just research Psionic Prestidigitation. That would work too.

Already exists. Just look in Secrets of Sarlona.

Alex12
2007-10-25, 04:05 PM
Already exists. Just look in Secrets of Sarlona.

Haven't seen that, and AFB right now. I'll look later.

Darrin
2007-10-25, 09:19 PM

Not in 3.x. There's an improved version of Grease that is specifically flammable in Tome of Magic/Spell Compendium. Incendiary Slime, 2nd level spell.

LeeMon
2007-10-26, 12:49 PM
Thankfully, I hadn't thrown the disc out; it made it into the 'keep' pile. A little scratched, but I was easily able to copy the module over (as well as the 2e-to-3e conversion guide).

As for the grease attack, I do notice that flammability of magical effects is generally called out (see burning hands and fireball). In the absence of MIC or other newer books with high-level, flammable grease spells (this was several years ago), it does become of a bit of a "doesn't say you can/doesn't say you can't" discussion.

Since the players could have just carried and used a flask of oil, without burning one of their precious 1st-level spells (they were level 1), allowing their action would certainly not be game-breaking. More importantly, it was creative and fun. So, over the years, I've learned to become less attached to my owlbears. :)