PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help me build this character concept (Gnome Cleric)

MindTheGap97
2020-05-04, 05:42 PM
So, we are building characters for the rerun of CotCT and I was browsing stuff and came across the Zealot trait for gnomes and the Channeler of the Unknown archetype, this two gave me an idea.

A gnome cleric of Brigh who lived so long that faith became habit and so while he does not sincerely worship Brigh anymore he still obsessively follows her code of conduct. He never lost his cleric powers but as he grew older he felt them change.

So we are left with a jaded cleric who still carries around a holy symbol to Brigh and follows her teaching strictly due to habit instead of real faith.

The problem is: I'm unsure what to focus on with this cleric, do I go channel focused? Or maybe I focus on touch spells?
We are using a 20 Point-Buy system with three traits (one has to be a CotCT trait) and a drawback at character creation.
Party composition is not 100% defined still, we will surely have a druid (unknown archetype), a dwarven brawler (probably with the shield archetype) and some sort of sneaky rogue/slayer/alchemist/maybe bard.

So, how would you build my character? I am very stumped at what to do with it.

EDIT: If I come up with more concepts (the game is a month and a half away) I will post them here, also if you have other character concept which may fit the ap feel free to post them.

Alexvrahr
2020-05-04, 11:09 PM
Basic channeling is so-so damage (~1/2 d6 per level) in an inconveniently shaped area. Variant channeling using the harm effects of luck or madness is a decent debuff but worse damage. I'm not sure you can take any channeling feats since those all specify channel energy class feature and you have channel entropy instead. It doesn't look like something to focus on.

Bad touch using the madness domain to soften up saves should be doable. Lunging spell touch might be a useful feat to get, and if your GM agrees that melee touch attacks can use weapon finesse that's probably useful to a gnome.

Since you apparently are worshipping a Cthuloid being, knowingly or not, the dreamed secrets feat might be available. Ask your GM.

MindTheGap97
2020-05-05, 01:01 AM
Uuuuh, I did not know about dreamed secrets...I'll ask my gm for sure!!!
Thanks for the tips!

Kurald Galain
2020-05-05, 03:33 AM
I'm not sure you can take any channeling feats since those all specify channel energy class feature and you have channel entropy instead.
Yes you can, the Channel Entropy ability specifies that. Variant channeling for madness is very powerful; luck, not so much. If you want to build a debuffing cleric then this is a good way to do it, and of course the cleric list contains numerous good debuffs.

You can ignore the damage on channeling; even on a standard channel, it's not really worth it. Since default blasting spells deal 1d6/level, an effect that deals 1d6/two levels isn't worth it for damage.

if your GM agrees that melee touch attacks can use weapon finesse
I'm not sure why you consider this controversial; it's a clear and straightforward rule that yes, this is allowed.