PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] LA +0 races with CHA bonus. No Dragon Mag.

Zaq
2020-05-04, 06:32 PM
What LA 0 / ECL 0 playable races grant a bonus to CHA? No Dragon Mag, no templates or template stacking, no PF.

Here's what I can remember off the top of my head:

Star elf. +2 CHA, -2 CON. Unapproachable East.
Spirit hellbred. +2 CHA, -2 CON. Fiendish Codex II.
Spellscale. +2 CHA, -2 CON. Races of the Dragon.
Weird honorable mention to venerable Dragonwrought kobolds.

I have a nagging feeling that there were one or two more that meet the list of restrictions I laid out, though. Can anyone point out any I might be missing?

Zombulian
2020-05-04, 06:50 PM
There are a few Lesser Planetouched races that fit this but the only one that isn't from Dragon Mag is the Lesser Aasimar.

Thurbane
2020-05-04, 07:17 PM
I think that just about covers it, unless you want to include Unseelie Fey template from Dragon Compendium - not technically a Dragon Magazine. Often considered very cheesy as a LA +0 template.

Missed "no templates" in the OP.

Troacctid
2020-05-04, 07:38 PM
Savage Progressions (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a).

NontheistCleric
2020-05-05, 12:04 AM
There are a few Lesser Planetouched races that fit this but the only one that isn't from Dragon Mag is the Lesser Aasimar.

If you go by the RAW of Lesser Planetouched that eliminates all LA, no matter how high, then Gloaming (Underdark) also provides a +2 to Cha (along with -2 Str, +2 Dex and -2 Wis) at LA +0 and no RHD.

Ramza00
2020-05-05, 03:37 PM
Looks like you got them

http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1281.0

Has 13 options but once you start saying no dragon and no templates that reduces most of the 13 options.

Ruethgar
2020-05-06, 06:43 PM
Looks like you got them

http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1281.0

Has 13 options but once you start saying no dragon and no templates that reduces most of the 13 options.

That list appears to be missing the ten dragon Hatchlings, Silver is the only one to get a +2 Cha at ECL 0, but its also Dragon Magazine so not really relevant for this thread. There was a variant that granted humans +2 to a stat instead of a feat, was that Dragon Magazine? The DMG II NPC special addons act like templates, but technically aren't, taken with the Faerunian -LA to everything to play from level 1, you could take any that give +2 Cha.

Zombulian
2020-05-06, 09:39 PM
That list appears to be missing the ten dragon Hatchlings, Silver is the only one to get a +2 Cha at ECL 0, but its also Dragon Magazine so not really relevant for this thread. There was a variant that granted humans +2 to a stat instead of a feat, was that Dragon Magazine? The DMG II NPC special addons act like templates, but technically aren't, taken with the Faerunian -LA to everything to play from level 1, you could take any that give +2 Cha.

Yeah you're thinking of the Complacent Human from the Warcraft III article in Dragon Mag. I think issue 320.

ezekielraiden
2020-05-06, 09:48 PM
Worth noting, if the Con penalty is a concern and you're okay with being a non-evil worshipper of Bahamut, the Dragonborn of Bahamut option technically fits your criteria. Although it is very similar to a template, it is not actually a template, and definitely doesn't increase or decrease LA. You lose many racial features, but at least for the Spellscale, you lose very little and gain quite a lot. Net bonuses: +2 Cha, -2 Dex, your choice of aspect, still have the Dragonblood subtype. Of course, it's arguably even better (and more thematic) with Lesser Aasimar, but that might be less welcome than Spellscale.

Endarire
2020-05-07, 01:01 AM
Theoretically, any race of Middle Age, Old Age, or Venerable Age qualifies due to getting bonuses to all mental stats and penalties to all physical stats.

Zaq
2020-05-08, 12:21 AM
Worth noting, if the Con penalty is a concern and you're okay with being a non-evil worshipper of Bahamut, the Dragonborn of Bahamut option technically fits your criteria. Although it is very similar to a template, it is not actually a template, and definitely doesn't increase or decrease LA. You lose many racial features, but at least for the Spellscale, you lose very little and gain quite a lot. Net bonuses: +2 Cha, -2 Dex, your choice of aspect, still have the Dragonblood subtype. Of course, it's arguably even better (and more thematic) with Lesser Aasimar, but that might be less welcome than Spellscale.

Yup, that's already an item of discussion, trust me. This isn't for a build. It's for a handbook.

I'm finishing grad school on Saturday (if not sooner?) and I'll finally have time to dive into the major revision of the truenamer handbook that I've had on the back burner for years. I kind of discounted CHA the first time around, but I'm starting to reconsider. After all, it's actually remarkably hard to get bonuses to your save DCs if that's something you choose to care about. And that might be a viable path. It's at least worth laying out the options.