PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Guru

mictrepanier
2020-05-05, 09:53 AM
https://www.enworld.org/attachments/consultant_0-2-pdf.121790/

This class is a supporting class. Of course, it is not for those wanting to be the major party damage-dealer. The class is weak in combat as a solo character, as much as any other support character ex: healer. It supports better than any other class out of combat (better than a spell-caster, with no expending of spell slots). In combat, clever use of his help may win the day No spellcasting, supernatural abilities that may count as non magical in D&D but never in a realistic game. It is a chassis for any profession as a sub-class with no might, backstabbing or spellcasting (see d20 Modern Smart, Dedicated and Charismatic heroes and several 3.5 prestige classes for non-combat oriented examples).

Some magic training from multiclassing or a feat may be required for cantrip ranged magic attacks, or strenght or dexterity for physical ranged attacks. This class is not designed to be on front line, so high constitution is not required.

Helpful: this is similiar to the bard inspiration, usuable only once a round with no restriction. This is the main class combat ability.

High level ability: Team work extra surge action is of course worthing more for a fighter, a spell-caster or a rogue. Ultimately, it will provide as many surges to the entire party as if this character was a fighter, so it is not OP, just more flexible. Use magic device may offer an extra offensive role to the expert as magic items should be available (at 14th instead of thief 13th level).

Multiclassing: A few levels of fighter may give more defense and damage rating, spellcasting classes may provide useful combat cantrips, especially one with the same favoured ability. Rogues expertise is more useful combined with the skilled feat, since expertise may only be chosen once per skill...

Your opinion ? PDF: https://www.enworld.org/attachments/guru_0_1-pdf.122031/

mictrepanier
2020-05-06, 10:08 AM
The consulting Expert is updated and now heals people and well as helping them.

PDF is found here:
https://www.enworld.org/attachments/consulting_expert_0-4-pdf.121768

This class is a supporting class. Of course, it is not for those wanting to be the major party damage-dealer. The class is weak in combat as a solo character, as much as any other support character ex: healer. It supports better than any other class out of combat (better than a spell-caster, with no expending of spell slots). In combat, clever use of his help may win the day No spellcasting, supernatural abilities that may count as non magical in D&D but never in a realistic game. It is a chassis for any profession as a sub-class with no might, backstabbing or spellcasting (see d20 Modern Smart, Dedicated and Charismatic heroes and several 3.5 prestige classes for non-combat oriented examples).

Some magic training from multiclassing or a feat may be required for cantrip ranged magic attacks, or strenght or dexterity for physical ranged attacks. This class is not designed to be on front line, so high constitution is not required.

Solution Provider: this is similiar to the bard inspiration, usuable only once a round with no restriction. This is the main class combat ability.

High level ability: Team work extra surge action is of course worthing more for a fighter, a spell-caster or a rogue. Ultimately, it will provide as many surges to the entire party as if this character was a fighter, so it is not OP, just more flexible. Use magic device may offer an extra offensive role to the expert as magic items should be available (at 14th instead of thief 13th level).

Multiclassing: A few levels of fighter may give more defense and damage rating, spellcasting classes may provide useful combat cantrips, especially one with the same favoured ability. Rogues expertise is more useful combined with the skilled feat, since expertise may only be chosen once per skill...

Your opinion ?

https://www.enworld.org/attachments/consulting_expert_0-4-pdf.121768/

sandmote
2020-05-06, 03:16 PM
My eyes.

Okay, the homebrewery has some drop down menus in the top left corner of the screen. Under "PHB" is a button labeled "class feature," that spits out the formatting for all the basic part of the class (class proficiency, hit die size, starting equipment, and so on).

Under "tables," there is a half class table you can use to lay out the preview of class features by level.

And if you type out four number signs ("####") and then leave a space, it'll format the text the way the 5e books show the description for a how a class feature works.

Concept:

The follower class blocks are intended to make it easier to fill out an NPC, without having to give the NPC the full abilities of an existing class ans subclass. If you want to bend one into a full class, I would expand the idea instead of simply slapping more features on it.

Additionally, creatures don't have that many hit dice. While I like additional ways to spend them, it should probably be one or two ways total, not three granting a variety of options.

On to content:

This feels a bit bare for a full class, especially given the fluff for each archetype is so similar to the Inquisitive and Mastermind rogue archetypes.

Four features at 1st level is a bit much, especially as dip bait. I'd push back Field of Expertise to 2nd level and Combat Wits to third.

Combat Awareness/Presence look like they'd be good 13th level features, because they do (as written) apply to the advantage the help action provides to attack rolls. +5 to an attack roll per turn is fairly strong.

mictrepanier
2020-05-06, 03:59 PM
This feels a bit bare for a full class, especially given the fluff for each archetype is so similar to the Inquisitive and Mastermind rogue archetypes.

It is intended. My vision is that the sub-class is the main flavor, not the class. For 5 years, I work on a metaclass concept where the same archetype is shared by several classes. Here, I do the opposite. There is no bare class chassis for this kind of class. So, It is normal I modified existing UA archetypes, modified to remove the Sneak Attack.

My point is to show you, forum guests, that almost all non martial, non magical sub-classes concepts may fit.

Four features at 1st level is a bit much, especially as dip bait. I'd push back Field of Expertise to 2nd level and Combat Wits to third.

3 is the most I saw, true. But this class has no weapons and armor proficiencies. Using point system meter, I can tell you it is balanced.

Combat Awareness/Presence .... +5 to an attack roll per turn is fairly strong.
Really ? d8+5. Bard inspiration is d12. But consider the lack of an offensive character, devoted to support role. Action: few options, even if technically it may be "help". Use magic device if the character got one (it is not d&d 3.x!). Bonus action: provide advantage+1d8+5 to ONE attack. May be sneak attack, true. I'll need deeper maths, but it seems not that much.

I tried to exploit under-used resources: Hit Dices, Help and Skill Group checks. And emulate a "lend skill" spell thay is non-existing.

The Hit Dice is a ressource that is widely used at some tables and almost never elsewhere. We usually get 1-5 combats a day at my table, and we rarely went out hit dice. It is situational, as much as magic users burning spells are sometimes bested by thiefs and champions using no depleting resources.

I updated the format (version 0.4).

sandmote
2020-05-06, 06:41 PM
I updated the format (version 0.4). Much nicer. Also, I knew distracting yarn sounded familiar (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0010.html), but took a minute to place it.

It is intended. My vision is that the sub-class is the main flavor, not the class. For 5 years, I work on a metaclass concept where the same archetype is shared by several classes. Here, I do the opposite. There is no bare class chassis for this kind of class. So, It is normal I modified existing UA archetypes, modified to remove the Sneak Attack.

My point is to show you, forum guests, that almost all non martial, non magical sub-classes concepts may fit. [/QUOTE] In this case consider giving another subclass feature between 3rd and 6th level, to bring online more options.

Additionally, the issue isn't so much if it "fits" as whether or not it has a cohesive concept and whether it has enough significant features to keep up with the rest of the party. In a combat focused adventure (and many are) you're entirely relying on your allies, which isn't worth so much. Particularly when you can play a Mastermind Rogue to get the same feel without having to give up sneak attack.

I would suggest either being able to provide temporary hit points as a a base class feature, or some sort of minion. A summoner who's practice helping their summons allows them to help other allies as well?

Alternatively, buff the archetypes quite a bit; they really don't provide a combat bonus until 13th level.

3 is the most I saw, true. But this class has no weapons and armor proficiencies. Using point system meter, I can tell you it is balanced. Perhaps individually, but it is still massive dip bait for a wizard. +2 AC, no need to prepare Mage Armor, and expertise is a pretty good deal.

Really ? d8+5. Bard inspiration is d12. But consider the lack of an offensive character, devoted to support role. Action: few options, even if technically it may be "help". Use magic device if the character got one (it is not d&d 3.x!). Bonus action: provide advantage+1d8+5 to ONE attack. May be sneak attack, true. I'll need deeper maths, but it seems not that much. Beside the bonus being larger by +3, the minimum bonus is +6, which is much more consistent than the +1 minimum bonus from bardic inspiration. The consistency is more the issue there than the raw power. This option is guaranteed to change the outcome in a much larger number of scenarios than bardic inspiration is.

I tried to exploit under-used resources: Hit Dices, Help and Skill Group checks. And emulate a "lend skill" spell thay is non-existing.

The Hit Dice is a ressource that is widely used at some tables and almost never elsewhere. We usually get 1-5 combats a day at my table, and we rarely went out hit dice. It is situational, as much as magic users burning spells are sometimes bested by thiefs and champions using no depleting resources. Check the Skill Empowerment spell from Xanathar's Guide. It gives expertise on any one skill.

Otherwise, I like giving bonuses to those abilities, but am not sure of your implementation. Also, The Communicator archetype doesn't seem to have a listed 1st level feature.

JNAProductions
2020-05-06, 06:42 PM
So, a one-level dip is great for Wizards, letting their AC key off Int and add their Prof modifier, for a cap of 21. (Equal to a Fighter in Full Plate, with a Shield, and the Defensive Fighting Style.)

It seems pretty incomplete-but that first level is pretty crazy.

sandmote
2020-05-06, 06:52 PM
So, a one-level dip is great for Wizards, letting their AC key off Int and add their Prof modifier, for a cap of 21. (Equal to a Fighter in Full Plate, with a Shield, and the Defensive Fighting Style.)

It seems pretty incomplete-but that first level is pretty crazy. What is with my reading ability today?

Because of how multiclassing works, don't use proficiency modifier on a class ability. I genuinely misread that as being 10 + Int mod + Dex mod, because it did not occur to me that you would have written this.

And I'm logging off for a while, because I clearly cannot process visual information at the moment.

mictrepanier
2020-05-06, 07:15 PM
I updated it! Too much to do! Now is it Consultant, version 0.1. Archetypes and Backup Power buffed, lest front-loaded and I changed the archetype feature level to 7!

https://www.enworld.org/attachments/consultant_0-1-pdf.121776/

Can I add an attachment on this forum ?

mictrepanier
2020-05-06, 07:46 PM
...you're entirely relying on your allies, which isn't worth so much. Particularly when you can play a Mastermind Rogue to get the same feel without having to give up sneak attack.

Well, then i'll play a mastermind, or a bard. If I want to play a character based on non-combat in a 100% combat-oriented game like d&d 5ed, I'll like to get the most flexibility possible and REALLY be the skill expert and the best helper!

A beginner may find spellcasting too harsh. A beginner AND a pacifist might like this class.<

https://www.enworld.org/attachments/consultant_0-4-pdf.121796/

mictrepanier
2020-05-16, 05:56 AM
I updated the class to Guru. It is more powerful than the Scholar in Adventures in Middle Earth, the One Ring D&D 5ed version, since there are other classes with healing in d&d.

PDF: https://www.enworld.org/attachments/guru_0_1-pdf.122058/