PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Rogue Subclass: Thug. Playing The Big Tough Scary Guy

Segev
2020-05-05, 03:17 PM
Thug
You've developed your physical might as a means to exert influence over others. Enforcers, legbreakers, and even bodyguards and bouncers follow this archetype.

Tough Guy
When you take this Archetype at 3rd level, you gain medium armor proficiency.

As an action, you may spend and roll a hit die, adding your Strength modifier to the result. Gain that many temporary hit points. While you have temporary hit points, you gain Advantage on Strength checks and on Charisma(Intimidate) checks.

Strong and Silent
Starting at 3rd level, you have developed the trick of looming menacingly and using your size and surprise to your advantage. When you would have advantage on an attack roll against a creature, you may use your Cunning Action to perform a Shove or a Grapple against them.

Intimidating Presence
Starting at 9th level, you fill a room just by being in it. On your turn as a bonus action, you may spend and roll up to 2 hit dice, adding your Strength modifier to each of them and gaining that many temporary hit points.

When you gain temporary hit points, creatures within 30 feet who can perceive you whom you do not specifically exempt become Frightened of you unless they succeed on a Charisma saving throw against your passive Intimidation score. Creatures Frightened by this effect may repeat the save at the end of each of their turns, ending it on a success.

Making an Example
Starting at 13th level, if you have no temporary hit points when you make a sneak attack, you may gain a number of temporary hit points equal to the damage rolled by the sneak attack dice. You may do this once, regaining the ability after a short or long rest.

Creatures Frightened of you which you have Grappled are automatically considered Restrained, and do not slow your movement.

Mr. Big
When you reach 17th level, you can punch well above your weight class. For every 10 temporary hit points you have, you may act as if your size category is 1 larger than it is. Among other things, if this would make you two size categories larger than Gargantuan, this does mean you can Grapple Gargantuan creatures and move full speed with them. This doesn't actually alter your size or the space you occupy.

Damon_Tor
2020-05-05, 10:50 PM
Pretty rad.

I think it's a bit of a missed opportunity not to give this guy sneak attacks with one-handed bludgeoning weapons. This would be of limited mechanical value, but I think it fits the archetype better, wielding a club or a mace instead of a dagger or shortsword.

Segev
2020-05-05, 11:00 PM
Pretty rad.

I think it's a bit of a missed opportunity not to give this guy sneak attacks with one-handed bludgeoning weapons. This would be of limited mechanical value, but I think it fits the archetype better, wielding a club or a mace instead of a dagger or shortsword.

Hm. Think that would fit in at level 3, or 9?

Damon_Tor
2020-05-06, 06:32 PM
Hm. Think that would fit in at level 3, or 9?

It's a ribbon feature, though IMO an important one, so level 3. It's almost entirely devoid of mechanical relevance, and even in edge cases (ie, they have another source of proficiency with warhammers) at most it would allow for sneak attacks with a 1d10 weapon, which rogues can already manage with a heavy crossbow anyway.

JNAProductions
2020-05-06, 06:37 PM
Heroism cast on you at 9th level means that at the start of your turn, every turn for a minute, must make a DC 15+Intimidation Modifier (so, with 16 Cha and Expertise, that's a DC 26 save) or become Frightened.

sandmote
2020-05-06, 06:45 PM
Heroism cast on you at 9th level means that at the start of your turn, every turn for a minute, must make a DC 15+Intimidation Modifier (so, with 16 Cha and Expertise, that's a DC 26 save) or become Frightened. I suspect you're thinking of passive with advantage, which would be 15+mod. Passive is 10+mod, but this many DC 21 saves is still an issue.

JNAProductions
2020-05-06, 06:46 PM
Tough Guy
When you take this Archetype at 3rd level, you gain medium armor proficiency.

As an action, you may spend and roll a hit die, adding your Strength modifier to the result. Gain that many temporary hit points. While you have temporary hit points, you gain Advantage on Strength checks and on Charisma(Intimidate) checks.

See quote.

sandmote
2020-05-06, 06:49 PM
See quote.

Yep, did not put those two together. My error.

Segev
2020-05-06, 09:08 PM
Hm. That is an issue.

I may have to make it a flat 8+cha+prof DC.

I do want to have it able to force the save again, but I can’t think of a good way to do that without making it overdo it. Making it key off getting more than the last time a save was forced overcomplicates it.

So maybe it just has to be the first time a creature sees you gain temp hp. Resetting after a short rest. Or phrased as a creature who makes the save is immune until you take a short rest.