PDA

View Full Version : Reading while asleep.

Aurosman
2020-05-05, 09:48 PM
So my warlock now has the ability to read any language, plus we found a magic item that grants the wielder the ability to read while asleep. The only thing I can think of is to buy a bunch of books of different types and read them every night, maybe become proficient in history in the process.

Any other fun things that can be done with this? Doesn't necessarily have to get me a mechanical benefit, but anything is welcome.

WaroftheCrans
2020-05-05, 11:06 PM
Buy various scholar packs, and read all of the lore books of the region.
If you want a mechanical benefit, petition for that to include info on monsters, and the like.

Magicspook
2020-05-06, 02:52 AM
Who’s going to turn the pages?

You put the book under your pillow

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-06, 02:55 AM
Sleep on archaeological dig sites and see if any ancient forgotten knowledge comes up.

micahaphone
2020-05-06, 10:47 AM
Congrats, you just unlocked the DM's in-game permission to attempt any type of knowledge check ever. Do I know anything about this ancient king or what he'd do with his tomb? Did the gossip rags I picked up in the previous town say anything about this noble family? What was that handy tip about where to find herbs and berries in this part of the world?

How does it work, by the way? Do you sleep with a book under you pillow, an osmosis of information? If you put a blank book under your pillow, will it record your dreams or memories?

DrKerosene
2020-05-06, 12:08 PM
Learning Languages seems like it might be an option.

I assume this could also be used to reduce the time (and maybe cost) of learning a (new) Tool.

Willie the Duck
2020-05-06, 12:23 PM
Any other fun things that can be done with this? Doesn't necessarily have to get me a mechanical benefit, but anything is welcome.

Depending on whether there would be books for such things, have your character pick up a load of career-knowledge for careers not normally considered adventurer-like (i.e. there isn't a knowledge or tool proficiency that covers it). One of my favorite characters was Gar the Minotaur Eldritch Knight who we determined had a previous career of being a JAG (serving as lawyer for soldiers). In one hilarious adventure, the party was captured by the powers that be and put on trial for the consequences of their actions (accidentally returning the heart of an ancient avatar of the apocalypse or the like, such that it could attempt to wreck havoc). Since the heart was effectively an ancient relic, Gar argued the charges down to antiquing without a license. Your character could be doing that, but with every career path not covered by the game rules. :smallbiggrin:

firelistener
2020-05-06, 04:34 PM
lol that's a really cool magic item. Totally stealing this for my games.