PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder tanking for new campaign

Railak
2020-05-06, 01:16 AM
So we started up a new campaign with my friend as DM. Our group consists of my warder tank with tower shield, a celebrity bard, a Witcher (mostly flavor, uses magus), a fighter who uses a big sword, and a warlord archer.

So.. I built a tank character who causes enemies he hits to have negatives to attack anyone but him, and is actually a threat in combat, ended up with a high str and con, and decent int. But the DM doesn't actually think for the enemies, every enemy turn he rolls a dice to figure out who they are going after.

We are only level 5, and I found Call Out, but that's a single target and no one can help me fight them, and the enemies can't target me either aside from who I challenge.

Does anyone know of anything else, aside from antagonize (only 1 round), to help keep the opponents' targeting me mostly?

Elkad
2020-05-06, 02:06 AM
If the enemies are attacking your allies with a penalty, you are still tanking by effectively providing your party with a higher AC.

Heavenblade
2020-05-06, 02:14 AM
What is your character build? if you have the feats/levels you could create a lockdown build with a reach weapon, to force enemies that do not focus on you to do nothing at all (using trip + reach weapon + AoO is classic, but warders have much more maneuvers that help them in that area)

Batcathat
2020-05-06, 02:25 AM
But the DM doesn't actually think for the enemies, every enemy turn he rolls a dice to figure out who they are going after.

Is it just me or is this really weird? Even most less intelligent enemies – and definitely the intelligent ones – should have some basic criteria to choose who they attack, even if it's as simple as "the one closest to me".

Railak
2020-05-06, 09:28 AM
Yeah, his thought process is it spreads out the damage and it's not "fair" for the focus to go on to one person, even when they're built for it.
My feats are toughness, bodyguard and in harm's way. I'm focusing into the eternal guardian discipline and Radiant Dawn (replaced broken blade), I've got some things from iron tortoise, but not much of it applies to tower shields, I do have the maneuver for forcing an opponent to attack me.
I'm wearing breastplate because sash of the war champion lets me move at full speed in medium armor. I've got a +7 to hit (with the neg from the tower shield) and do 1d8+5. I don't hit as hard as our fighter, but him using power attack we actually have the same attack bonus.

Batcathat
2020-05-06, 09:34 AM
I'm all for GMs treating their players fairly but having enemies act like randomized idiots must be one of the strangest examples of that. If I were you, I'd point out to the GM that the game isn't built or balanced for that kind of behavior which pretty much means that having the enemies attack party members at random isn't fair since they aren't equally built to handle that.

Of course, that doesn't mean enemies should only attack the tanks, if the wizard in the back is dishing out damage it makes sense to target them but completely random attacks seems like it wouldn't be a good method for anyone.

Kurald Galain
2020-05-06, 09:52 AM
Even most less intelligent enemies – and definitely the intelligent ones – should have some basic criteria to choose who they attack, even if it's as simple as "the one closest to me".
Yes, that.

Memorable enemies may attack whoever the most vulnerable (I've had players take advantage of that by magicking robes to look like armor, or vice versa). Enemies with smite or favored enemy will likely attack whoever looks most like their preferred target (I've had players take advantage of that by appearing human when they're not, or vice versa). In a pinch, enemies attack whoever is doing the most damage (if they're smart); or whoever attacked them last (if they're not).

Railak
2020-05-06, 10:45 AM
Yeah I've already talked to him about it, and he won't change it for the reason I mentioned before. I'm looking for ways of circumventing it, and forcing things to attack me.
It's also not the only weird "rule of thumb" he uses.. he figures what he can send at the party by taking our level (5) and adding how many members we have (5) and puts us against things in the upper range of that. Like right now we'll likely be fighting CR8-10 for most fights.. and possibly multiple monsters at once (no less CR each) yeah it's going to be pretty rough, but at the same time no one's going to die cause he pulls his punches and won't kill any party members.. Does make it quite a bit less exciting knowing that my character can't die.. Course in the group I'm the only one who knows he's going to be pulling his punches.

Sorry kinda went on a little rant or tirade..