PDA

View Full Version : An example of murderhoboism - please tell me yours as well

Jon_Dahl
2020-05-06, 01:48 AM
This happened a couple of months ago: One of the PCs inherited NPC prophet's prophetic abilities, which basically means seeing random visions from time to time and dreaming prophetic dreams, which are all mysterious and not all straightforward to interpret. This was voluntary, and the player even agreed to pay 1000 XP to have his PC gain this power. At that time, the PCs were searching for an enigmatic duergar called the Interpreter of Dreams. The PCs voiced their wish to capture the duergar alive to one of their NPC allies (their boss, actually).

What happened last Sunday: The PCs had finally found out where the duergar lived. He lived with his dark naga ally and a large contingent of werewolf bugbears. It took almost two sessions and two full adventure days to defeat the werewolf bugbears, which were surprisingly tricky to kill. The PCs entered the lair of the dark naga, which immediately attacked. The Interpreter of Dreams was there as well, and he welcome the PCs, albeit standing behind the dark naga, and he greeted the PC prophet by stating that "he is very important" and that he was happy to see him.

What happened? The PC prophet rushed around the dark naga to beat duergar with his longsword. The duergar tried to defend himself, but after a long struggle, he dropped to -2 hp. The rest of group fought the dark naga and killed it. The PCs made sure that the duergar was still breathing (at -8 hp) and proceeded to tie him up. During this process, the duergar failed his percentile rolls twice, dropped to -10 hp and died. After the duergar had been tied up, I declared that the duergar wasn't breathing anymore. That was ok with the PCs. They left the dungeon.

Buufreak
2020-05-06, 02:11 AM
This doesn't sound like hoboing at all. This sounds like a good plan, supported and backed up by dm fiat and all, went south.

Batcathat
2020-05-06, 05:51 AM
This doesn't sound like hoboing at all. This sounds like a good plan, supported and backed up by dm fiat and all, went south.

I agree. In retrospect it would've been smart of the PCs to make sure he was stable but it's an understandable oversight and not very murderhobo-y.

Gnaeus
2020-05-06, 06:47 AM
A small child approaches the PCs in the street to beg for copper because his father is lost in a dungeon and now he is an orphan (a lie, but PCs didn’t know that).

My older daughter murdered him for a tin cup with some pennies.

Telonius
2020-05-06, 08:04 AM
Ravenloft game; a super-powerful friendly mage is besieged in his silver tower. We get there too late, and find the tower basically knocked over, with wreckage everywhere.

Me (playing a Cleric of Olidammara): "So, you say the whole tower was made of silver...?"

DM: "I really should have seen that coming."

We spent the next two days teleporting Bags of Holding back to the main city. We managed to sell it at regular price, but crashed the silver market for the rest of the campaign.

radthemad4
2020-05-06, 08:21 AM
A fellow player was playing some sort of homebrew necromancer class and mentioned that he can give undead he controls some buffs. Since I was playing an undead I asked what it was and he said it was '+2 to attack and damage'.

"So, I trade away free will for +2 to attack and damage"
"Yeah, that sounds about right"
"Sold!"

Sure it's a ridiculously minor boost, but I figured I was getting it for 'free' :smalltongue: (I trusted the player to not make the game unfun for me and I still pretty much just did whatever I wanted to, but in character this felt pretty murderhobo)