PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What major benefits exist to taking 10 on caster level checks outside of combat?

Endarire
2020-05-06, 02:49 AM
What major benefits exist to taking 10 on caster level checks outside of combat? I was pondering the feat Arcane Mastery - and I know it was errataed to allow in-combat use - but how is it especially useful out of combat?

Khedrac
2020-05-06, 02:58 AM
Dispelling ongoing effects without using up half your available spell slots is one major one.

Crake
2020-05-06, 03:24 AM
Dispelling ongoing effects without using up half your available spell slots is one major one.

Pretty much this. You need at least +1 on your dispel check to automatically be able to dispel level-equivilent spells, catalogues of enlightenment for the inquisition domain is an easy one, a dispelling cord is another pretty easy little bonus. Those two combined will let you automatically dispel anything up to 5 levels above your own (or 5 levels above the limit of the spell, if you hit the limit).

Xervous
2020-05-06, 02:26 PM
I’ve used it with Otiluke’s Suppressing Field to prevent it from impacting my own spells by casting at a CL 1 lower than my norm (on top of bolstering my own dispel efficiency). Far cheaper than using Selective Spell.