PDA

View Full Version : Pseudodragon familiars

Greywander
2020-05-06, 04:12 AM
I'm rolling up a draconic themed character, and I was curious about the pseudodragon as a chainlock familiar. The imp is kind of the gold standard, so I was wondering how the pseudodragon compared in actual play. The imp is just sooo good, I hate feeling like I'm nerfing myself by using something else.

The main advantages of the pseudodragon appear to be their blindsight, telepathy, keen senses, faster flying speed, and knockout poison.
By contrast, the imp comes with several damage resistances and immunities, Devil's Sight, shapeshifting, invisibility, better skills, and the ability to speak.

What's your experience with pseudodragons? Would you recommend one over an imp, and if so, why?

DeadMech
2020-05-06, 04:30 AM
Well Psuedodragons are cuter, and I figure that's gotta count for something. Also probably not trying to tempt you to eternal damnation. Probably.

Greywander
2020-05-06, 04:42 AM
Also probably not trying to tempt you to eternal damnation. Probably.
The familiar created by the Find Familiar spell is a spirit taking the form of the creature, not the creature itself. A chainlock imp isn't a real imp, it won't tempt you to come to the dark side.

That said, there are numerous benefits to finding an actual imp (or pseudodragon) and making a contract with it to become your familiar. You also don't need to be a chainlock, or even (necessarily) a spellcaster to do this.

Dork_Forge
2020-05-06, 04:43 AM
I personally prefer Pseudodragons entirely because I like the idea of having one, as a player though I would be inclined to ask for some concessions from the DM. For example, since I'm choosing a Pseudodragon that is largely inferior to an Imp in a lot of ways, could I just reskin an Imp or allow the Pseudo to become invisible? As a DM I would have no issue with any of this, but personally I don't try and use a Warlocks familiar 'against them' so to speak and mostly just use them for rp flavour inbetween encounters.

Dr. Cliché
2020-05-06, 05:03 AM
The familiar created by the Find Familiar spell is a spirit taking the form of the creature, not the creature itself. A chainlock imp isn't a real imp, it won't tempt you to come to the dark side.

As as aside, I frequently find myself wishing that magic in D&D actually had some teeth.

"No, no, it's not a real Imp. It's just a fey spirit taking the form of an Imp, so it will never try and tempt you or betray you or put you in danger in any way. Also, in spite of being a fey spirit, it won't actually act like a Fey either. So don't expect any mischief, mood-swings or really anything else of note."

It saddens me that magic rarely ever carries meaningful risk.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-06, 05:11 AM
You're doing a dragon themed character. Go with the pseudodragon, then find a way to make it work.

We both know you'll never be happy about choosing the imp.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-06, 05:13 AM
Also, in spite of being a fey spirit, it won't actually act like a Fey either. So don't expect any mischief, mood-swings or really anything else of note."

I don't know that this is actually in the text.

Meanwhile, I would hate risky magic. I'm sick of gotchas.

The fiend summoning spells and Wild Magic are there for people that want it.

CTurbo
2020-05-06, 05:16 AM
They're biggest knock against them is not having invisibility, but they have telepathy and magic resistance. Depending on your GM, the Psuedogradon could potentially share that magic resistance with you while within 10ft of you.

Nifft
2020-05-06, 05:20 AM
Imps are evil jerks from Hell -- and if you want to avoid gotcha moments, don't volunteer to share your personal space with an evil jerk from Hell.

In contrast, Pseudodragons are cute and also nice.

The choice is clear.

Greywander
2020-05-06, 05:28 AM
Well, I think they don't want to punish the player for using their abilities. Imagine if the fighter had a small chance to decapitate themselves every time they drew their sword. Any ability that carries a risk is likely to never be used.

That said, it doesn't have to be this way. Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay had you roll to reach a target number in order to cast a spell successfully. You could roll more dice to reach higher numbers, but rolling doubles would cause bad things to happen. I took this basic concept and reworked it for 5e as a wild magic system. Infinite spellcasting, but each spell carries a risk, and might not even work.

I'm not a big fan of D&D's magic system, but it's so heavily ingrained in the system that it would be hard to change it. But I would like something a bit more mystical and less mechanical.

You're doing a dragon themed character. Go with the pseudodragon, then find a way to make it work.

We both know you'll never be happy about choosing the imp.
Yeah, this is probably true. I tend to be a powergamer, but at some point the optimal choice clashes too much with the "realistic" choice that it creates too much dissonance. You want to take the optimal choice, then justify it in-character. And sometimes it's just too hard to justify. I think at some point you just end up breaking your own suspension of disbelief by making a character that is mechanically optimal but thematically a complete mess.

They're biggest knock against them is not having invisibility, but they have telepathy and magic resistance. Depending on your GM, the Psuedogradon could potentially share that magic resistance with you while within 10ft of you.
The shared magic resistance is only for real pseudodragons, not ones from Find Familiar. IIRC, real imps and real quasits give you the same benefit.

And apparently pseudodragons do have sort of chameleon skin as part of their lore, it just isn't in the Monster Manual. It's not as good as invisibility, but it is at least a similar type of ability. I'd probably need to look up a 3.x statblock to see how it was supposed to work.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-06, 05:48 AM
And apparently pseudodragons do have sort of chameleon skin as part of their lore, it just isn't in the Monster Manual. It's not as good as invisibility, but it is at least a similar type of ability. I'd probably need to look up a 3.x statblock to see how it was supposed to work.

"Pseudodragons have a chameleonlike ability that grants them a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks. *In forests or overgrown areas, this bonus improves to +8."

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/pseudodragon.htm

I think I've seen chameleon-like ability in 5e as Advantage on Stealth checks in certain terrain. The Octopus has it IIRC.

JellyPooga
2020-05-06, 06:33 AM
1) Psuedodragons are super cute! :smallredface:

You really don't need any more reason than that, but I'll continue anyways.

2) Keen Senses. Yes, the Imp can access individual Keen Smell/Sight/Hearing from its alternate forms, via Change Shape, but the Psuedodragon has all three at once and doesn't have to use an Action to access them.

3) It's a Dragon, not a Devil. Regardless of whether its actually a Fey, Celestial or Fiend spirit, as a Familiar, the Psuedodragon has a much more culturally accepted form. Yes, the Imp can be invisible or shape changed, but when that either isn't an option or it becomes necessary to interact with your familiar or for your familiar to interact with others outside of alternate forms/invisibility, the fact that it looks like a Fiend can cause more problems than a cute and fuzzy mini-dragon.

4) Telepathy. It ain't linguistic communication, but it isn't limited by line of sight and it's silent. Good for sneakin'.

5) Poison. 3d6 damage goes out of fashion very fast. The Poisoned condition remains relevant much much longer. So does that Sleep effect. The DC may be low, but if we're comparing poisoned attacks, the Psuedodragon wins over the Imp.

6) Fly speed. Psuedodragon is faster. 'nuff said.

All told, the Imp is strictly a better choice, but the Psuedodragon is certainly no slouch. Is it a down-grade? Sure. Do you have to worry about "gimping yourself"? Absolutely not. The mini-dragon is absolutely a valid, if not a solid choice.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-06, 06:36 AM
Plus it's more epic when you cast Dragon Breath on them or feed them a potion of same.

Millstone85
2020-05-06, 06:50 AM
Yes, the Imp can access individual Keen Smell/Sight/Hearing from its alternate forms, via Change ShapeUh, no, it can't. The imp's Shapechanger trait explicitly states that "Its statistics are the same in each form, except for the speed changes noted".

TigerT20
2020-05-06, 06:53 AM
As as aside, I frequently find myself wishing that magic in D&D actually had some teeth.

"No, no, it's not a real Imp. It's just a fey spirit taking the form of an Imp, so it will never try and tempt you or betray you or put you in danger in any way. Also, in spite of being a fey spirit, it won't actually act like a Fey either. So don't expect any mischief, mood-swings or really anything else of note."

I'm sorry, but if I'm DMing for a Celestial Warlock with an Imp familiar, that Imp is 100% going to be irate about the fact that it, a grand force of good and justice in the multiverse, has been forced to take the form of Devil scum, and not even a high ranking devil at that

What kind of players do you even have that don't give their familiars personalities?

JellyPooga
2020-05-06, 07:01 AM
Uh, no, it can't. The imp's Shapechanger trait explicitly states that "Its statistics are the same in each form, except for the speed changes noted".

Oh snap, good catch. Yeah, in that case, the min-dragon wins big on the better senses front.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-06, 07:20 AM
I'm sorry, but if I'm DMing for a Celestial Warlock with an Imp familiar, that Imp is 100% going to be irate about the fact that it, a grand force of good and justice in the multiverse, has been forced to take the form of Devil scum, and not even a high ranking devil at that

What kind of players do you even have that don't give their familiars personalities?

Even a celestial Warlock can have a fiend familiar...

da newt
2020-05-06, 08:19 AM
I played w/ a PC who was a yuanti warlock w/ amnesia - he didn't remember making any pact, he thought his familiar was a raven that could turn invisible, he had a pretty lady who visited him in his dreams and told him he was teh chosen one but he didn't know she was a Marilith, and he was trying to figure out what race he was (he knew something was off, but he hid it from others) ...

I'd definitely go pseudo dragon - it fits the theme (or ask your DM if you can use a faerie dragon - an older one would be OP, but the hot colors should be fine).

KorvinStarmast
2020-05-06, 09:05 AM
As as aside, I frequently find myself wishing that magic in D&D actually had some teeth. I agree.
The fiend summoning spells and Wild Magic are there for people that want it. I think that what has happened over the years is that Magic has become a short hand for tech; before the video game era, magic usually had a "catch" to it narratively, one way or another. (One of the best recent treatments of that IMO was Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy, Farseer, but I digress). Magic having a cost goes back a long way, thematically.

Imps are evil jerks from Hell -- and if you want to avoid gotcha moments, don't volunteer to share your personal space with an evil jerk from Hell. Yeah.

"Pseudodragons have a chameleonlike ability that grants them a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks. *In forests or overgrown areas, this bonus improves to +8 (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/pseudodragon.htm)." I think I've seen chameleon-like ability in 5e as Advantage on Stealth checks in certain terrain. The Octopus has it IIRC. An underappreciated ability.

The imp's Shapechanger trait explicitly states that "Its statistics are the same in each form, except for the speed changes noted". Nice point, thanks for the reminder.

Heh, my Warlock used a Sprite.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-06, 09:28 AM
I agree. I think that what has happened over the years is that Magic has become a short hand for tech; before the video game era, magic usually had a "catch" to it narratively, one way or another. (One of the best recent treatments of that IMO was Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy, Farseer, but I digress). Magic having a cost goes back a long way, thematically.

In relation to magic with a cost or catch: That's true in a lot of old media, but not in D&D. I think you're wrong to characterise it as "before the video game era", that implies it's more recent than it is. It also implies that cost-magic is better because it's older; I don't think many would agree with that premise.

Chronos
2020-05-06, 09:43 AM
One point to keep in mind: You can change your familiar's form just by spending 10 gold worth of incense and an hour of time. Even if you usually prefer one form for it, you can switch to another as the situation arises. You could even switch to one of the mundane forms as a chainlock, if that's what was best for the situation.

LibraryOgre
2020-05-06, 09:46 AM
Well Psuedodragons are cuter, and I figure that's gotta count for something. Also probably not trying to tempt you to eternal damnation. Probably.

I mean, you're a Warlock. You've already signed up for eternal damnation. It was in the contract.

Garfunion
2020-05-06, 10:20 AM
Personally I’ve always been under the mindset that you can have your familiar look like anything you want, however they still must maintain the chosen animal’s stat block. So you can choose the owl’s stat block but it looks like a pseudodragon. Same could be said for the warlock’s unique familiars as well.

TigerT20
2020-05-06, 11:30 AM
Even a celestial Warlock can have a fiend familiar...

At the risk of this venturing off topic, I would say that a Celestial Warlock would generally recieve a celestial spirit as a familiar, but they can still choose its form. Hence the spirit complaining about being forced into the form of a fiend.

I've also just thought that you could likely win favour with fey and dragons and the like, sort of a fantasy version of the classic 'dump the dog at the doorstep and sneak round the back while the guards are distacted' thing. I can 100% imagine a true dragon babytalking a psuedodragon and the party managing to slip past.

Evaar
2020-05-06, 11:39 AM
Just want to note the Imp can Shapechange to look very similar to a Psuedodragon if it’s the appearance you’re primarily after.

Millstone85
2020-05-06, 11:59 AM
I mean, you're a Warlock. You've already signed up for eternal damnation. It was in the contract.That would depend on the patron.

The Fiend is almost certainly after your soul. Maybe it is clearly stipulated in the contract. Maybe it is in the fine print. Maybe it will come as a result of your actions under their influence. Or maybe making a deal with a fiend was in itself a terrible sin.

The GOO may not care at all about your soul, but it is bound to get warped, along with your body and mind, as you delve into your patron's alien nature.

The Archfey's motivations could be anything from sinister to noble. In some parts of the Feywild, being a warlock might be seen as a form of knighthood, the lord or lady of the place obviously granting magical powers to its defenders.

The Celestial may actually try to save your soul from damnation.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-06, 06:54 PM
Just want to note the Imp can Shapechange to look very similar to a Psuedodragon if it’s the appearance you’re primarily after.

Not sure "a beast form that resembles a rat, raven, or spider" meets that description, to be honest

Evaar
2020-05-06, 07:17 PM
Not sure "a beast form that resembles a rat, raven, or spider" meets that description, to be honest

You're right, I was speaking off the cuff. But I still think that a reasonable DM would let you customize the imp's appearance, especially given the Shapechange feature.