PDA

View Full Version : Path of war Advice

Nosta
2020-05-06, 08:16 AM
I am planning a character who focus is on mobility. I know I want Scarlet throne so I can take the Red Zephyr’s line of feats. I want Maneuvers that boost speed and allow movement. I am not sure what class mostly cause I'm not sure what other path(s) to take.

I

Segev
2020-05-06, 02:29 PM
I am planning a character who focus is on mobility. I know I want Scarlet throne so I can take the Red Zephyr’s line of feats. I want Maneuvers that boost speed and allow movement. I am not sure what class mostly cause I'm not sure what other path(s) to take.

I

Is there a line of feats I'm not finding, or do you mean the Maneuvers with "Red Zephyr" in their name?

Anyway, the harbinger (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/classes/harbinger) is supposed to be a "mobile combatant" and gets at least one speed boost from class abilities, as well as getting Scarlet Throne.

Alternatively, if you want to REALLY focus on mobility, consider going for the Pathwalker (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/pathwalker-psychic-warrior-archetype/) archetype of Psychic Warrior (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior/) or both the War Soul (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/war-soul-soulknife-archetype/) and Gifted Blade (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/gifted-blade/) archetypes (which are compatible) for the Soulknife (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/). Either of those archetyped classes will give you access to Scarlet Throne and will also open up access to the Elocator (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/elocater) prestige class.

Elocator is the king of mobility. Just take a look at what it gets at level 1. There are feats, too, to help you continue advancing martial maneuvers or soulknife abilities as you go into other classes. You may or may not want to take a primary manifesting class for a level before going into Elocator to advance it, if you want to pursue it to its heights, because getting higher-level powers known faster is desirable...however...it would retard the advancement of your psywarrior or gifted blade powers to do so, so if you can be patient for 3rd level powers, sticking it out would probably be better.

Edit to correct: I goofed. War Soul gives up psychic strike, as does Gifted Blade. You can't actually take both, so you can't get both Path of War and manifester levels on Soulknife.

However, you could still take War Soul Soulknife and a single level of another manifester class to qualify for Elocator, if you want Soul Knife rather than Psychic Warrior. Vitalist (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/vitalist/) has Wisdom synergy, and Psion (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/psion/) (Nomad) would let you skip Spring Attack (which you could get with blade skills, though, so may not need to skip and/or may want anyway) to get into Elocator. Psychic Warrior is Wisdom-based, too, so you could dual-class Psychic Warrior and Soulknife if you want specific things from Soulknife, but I don't recommend it beyond a splash of one or the other; you should focus on one of them.

So Psychic Warrior Pathwalker is probably your best bet. You can pick up things like skate to increase your speed at first level, and use the bonus combat feats to qualify for Elocator as early as possible (6th level entry). Elocator also gets you to effective level 7 in PsyWarrior (insofar as powers known and power points) (which is when he gets 3rd level powers) before 6th level of Elocator, so when you get psychoport as a 3rd level power, you can use it immediately. (Gifted Blade Soulknives don't get third level powers until Soulknive 11.)

Powerdork
2020-05-06, 02:46 PM
If you can swing it, by the way, consider swapping one of the class disciplines you don't want for the titular discipline of Divergent Paths: Fool's Errand. That discipline is extraordinary, and its fourth stance offers exceptional mobility.

StSword
2020-05-06, 04:28 PM
The Harbinger is a good class for mobility- It adds up to 20 to one' s movement speeds, and allows one to fly/teleport/swim/climb up to three times per encounter.

The edgelord archetype from April Augmented 2016 adds a second ability to teleport while initiating strikes, usable up to three times an encounter.

Or maybe look at the Roil Dancer, a kineticist Path of War archetype, towards getting some mobility enhancing talents to go with the maneuvers.

Epic Legand
2020-05-06, 08:06 PM
I second the Edgelord. Level 1 gives +10' move, with many move boosts and teleports available.
This meshes well with riven hourglass, mythrel current and veiled moon. It also gives you a monk like ability to add INT to ac when not wearing armor....an invisible boost to mobility. Fastest recovery of maneuvers as well

Nosta
2020-05-06, 08:17 PM
I second the Edgelord. Level 1 gives +10' move, with many move boosts and teleports available.
This meshes well with riven hourglass, mythrel current and veiled moon. It also gives you a monk like ability to add INT to ac when not wearing armor....an invisible boost to mobility. Fastest recovery of maneuvers as well

Could you help me choosing Maneuvers ? I like the Scarlet throne and riven hour glass ones

Epic Legand
2020-05-06, 08:35 PM
I second the Edgelord . It gives+10' move at level 1. Mythrel current, riven hourglass and veiled moon are all excellent choices. Edgelord also gives INT to unarmored AC, another perk to movement

Chaos Jackal
2020-05-07, 03:56 AM
I believe the Edgelord loses access to Scarlet Throne. If that's the case, maybe something else is better, given the OP has stated he wants Scarlet Throne.

Generally though, Harbinger is a good pick for a mobile combatant.

Segev
2020-05-07, 11:15 AM
Oh, my word. I just found the Edge Lord. Assuming what I'm looking at is not fan-made, I'm guessing "April Augmented" was their April Fool's release, because this thing is most definitely not taking itself seriously. Don't get me wrong; it's a viable and probably not overpowered class, but it's absolutely Linkin "Sepherioth" Park the Archetype. From the ability names that steal from Linkin Park song titles to the fact that it generates a "floor length black or red leather coat formed from their own affected indifference, often displaying clasps or buttons of bismuth crystal" as part of its class features (which DOES provide AC bonuses)... :smallbiggrin:

I got a good laugh out of it.

Not to say it isn't a viable archetype, but hoo boy, its parodic nature shows.

And yes, it loses Scarlet Throne (and Riven Hourglass) for Mithril Current (and Unquiet Grave). Mithril Current is clearly to support the edgiest of weapons (the katana), and Unquiet Grave is just to show how dark his soul has become, I'm sure. Mithirl Current MIGHT substitute for Scarlet Throne decently, depending on what you want from them, but since you like a specific line of Scarlet Throne maneuvers, I'd stay away from the Edge Lord.

The Harbinger is, in general, your simplest answer to what you want. It gives mobility, Scarlet Throne access, and also helps you track down foes who try to get away.

I do think, if you truly want mobility to be a mobility-king, though, you want to go Pathwalker Psychic Warrior into Elocator.

Elocator will give you all the mobility you want, and Pathwalker Psychic Warrior gives you Scarlet Throne access and you can pick psionic powers to enhance mobility (I recommend skate; burst as written isn't very good, but if you can talk your GM into changing the augment to 1 pp per 10 ft., it becomes A LOT better). Just qualifying for Elocator gets you Spring Attack, too, which is great for mobility fighters, and all three prereq feats are valid for PsyWarrior bonus feat choices.

StSword
2020-05-07, 11:24 AM
I believe the Edgelord loses access to Scarlet Throne. If that's the case, maybe something else is better, given the OP has stated he wants Scarlet Throne.

Generally though, Harbinger is a good pick for a mobile combatant.

Doesn't matter. One can have whatever discipline one wants either through the Unorthodox Method trait, or joining a martial tradition. Or do both, if one is really picky about which disciplines one wants.

The Scarlet Sentinels don't even have an alignment restriction.

Nosta
2020-05-07, 03:56 PM
Ok. I know I want Scarlet throne and I'll compliment it with Viled moon
Cause I'm liking the look of Viled moon style feat line.

Yes it's edgy but I want a katana lol

Segev
2020-05-07, 04:12 PM
Ok. I know I want Scarlet throne and I'll compliment it with Viled moon
Cause I'm liking the look of Viled moon style feat line.

Yes it's edgy but I want a katana lol

Are you going Harbinger, or Edge Lord Harbinger? Veiled Moon doesn't give katana proficiency; neither, I think, does Scarlet Throne. Edge Lord does.

The Bushi template for Warder, Stalker, and Warlord also gives it, but I don't think otherwise fits what you're going for.

If you like Veiled Moon, you can get it on any of the options for a martial adept via entry into The Wayward Path (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/martial-traditions/the-wayward-path/).

Nosta
2020-05-07, 04:40 PM
Are you going Harbinger, or Edge Lord Harbinger? Veiled Moon doesn't give katana proficiency; neither, I think, does Scarlet Throne. Edge Lord does.

The Bushi template for Warder, Stalker, and Warlord also gives it, but I don't think otherwise fits what you're going for.

If you like Veiled Moon, you can get it on any of the options for a martial adept via entry into The Wayward Path (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/martial-traditions/the-wayward-path/).

Well i kinda want to go stalker

I know you where talking psionics but my group has mix feelings at best on those

Segev
2020-05-07, 05:09 PM
Well i kinda want to go stalker

I know you where talking psionics but my group has mix feelings at best on those

Oh, Stalker? ...have you seen the bushi (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/classes/martial-class-templates/bushi-template/) template? It gives you proficiency with katana and wakizashi and does some cool things for you when you wield them.

And if your group isn't into psi, then no need to push it. I only was emphasizing it because Elocator seemed up your alley for the mobility aspect. Sticking to Path of War, going Stalker, I recommend looking at Bushi if you're hankering for a katana.

Edit to add: In particular, bushi replaces the standard action maneuver recovery of the Stalker with a move-action recovery method of sheathing your blade. Since it also gives you quick-draw, this means you can sheathe, recover, and draw. At 6th level, it gives you a feat that makes sheathing a free action, so every turn, you can sheathe, recover, and draw all as free actions. Only one maneuver per turn, but this basically means you keep recovering maneuvers every turn.

Ramza00
2020-05-07, 05:33 PM
What level of play are we talking about here? What is your starting level?

Nosta
2020-05-07, 06:52 PM
What level of play are we talking about here? What is your starting level?

Between level 4 to 6

And low to mid opimization

Ramza00
2020-05-07, 08:31 PM
Between level 4 to 6

And low to mid opimization

I had an idea for level 8 (it semi comes together at 6), but it is ill suited for level 4.

Efrate
2020-05-07, 09:35 PM
Clarifications on harbringer. Then 10ft spd boost is normal and edgelord, with an additional 10 at 10th level. Flight, teleportation, (swim, climb) are not 3x an encounter, they are movement modes you get and can use for all movement at 9th level. You get 2 total, 9th an 15th. At 3rd level you get the ability to move up to your speed as a swift action 1x/encounter, scaling up to 3x. Veiled moon style feat lets you get teleportation movement earlier than 9th (as early as 3rd) but only 10 ft. A turn.

Epic Legand
2020-05-07, 10:29 PM
My favorite build starts with 4 levels of stalker vigilante ( Int based, real sneak attack, inspiration is like a ton of free skill points, ect). If you are a teifling, you get a free feat every 4 levels as well. THEN go into 1 level of Edgelord. Both are based on INT. You get INT to AC, Ref saves, Initiative, Uncanny dodge, and access to stalker arts, each worth about 2 feats. Add in the trait that adds to your initiator level and take Edgelord as your level 5 class level. All your opening maneuvers and stances gain access to 3ed level maneuvers.

Segev
2020-05-08, 12:23 AM
My favorite build starts with 4 levels of stalker vigilante ( Int based, real sneak attack, inspiration is like a ton of free skill points, ect). If you are a teifling, you get a free feat every 4 levels as well. THEN go into 1 level of Edgelord. Both are based on INT. You get INT to AC, Ref saves, Initiative, Uncanny dodge, and access to stalker arts, each worth about 2 feats. Add in the trait that adds to your initiator level and take Edgelord as your level 5 class level. All your opening maneuvers and stances gain access to 3ed level maneuvers.

Is the inspiration coming from a social talent or something? Stalker vigilantes don’t get it by default to my knowledge.

StSword
2020-05-08, 04:57 PM
Is the inspiration coming from a social talent or something? Stalker vigilantes don’t get it by default to my knowledge.

Not a social talent, a vigilante talent- Inspired Vigilante

Epic Legand
2020-05-10, 02:55 AM
Stalker archetype (vigilante), not the base class by the same name. Its a variant on stalker, based on INT, not wisdom, with synergy to Edgelord( also INT).