PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Turning/Rebuke and Divine Feats

Yogibear41
2020-05-06, 06:12 PM
Looking for the rules for alternative turning/rebuking and their use with divine feats. Example: I can turn/rebuke animals or plants, but not undead, where are the rules that tell me if I can or can't use this turning to fuel Divine feats that require turn attempts.

Powerdork
2020-05-06, 06:27 PM
Complete Divine notes that turning and rebuking undead is a use of positive or negative energy and suggests divine feats use that; replacement turn/rebuke that doesn't exploit either of these might be denied from divine feats from that book. In particular, there are divine feats meant specifically for alternate turns and rebukes, such as Elemental Healing and Elemental Smiting.
Player's Handbook II makes no comment on the nature of turning and rebuking besides it being a supernatural ability that doesn't provoke.

As an example I can pull from my collection, the rebuke dragons ACF in Dragon Magic "functions as an evil cleric rebuking undead" and "An attempt to rebuke dragons counts as an attempt to turn or rebuke undead for the purpose of qualifying for or activating divine feats, or for using other abilities that require you to expend a use of your turn or rebuke ability."
If other alternate turns/rebukes don't specify (because they were introduced before the advent of divine feats), ask your DM. (If you are a DM, I suggest ruling in favour of uses that embody the deity's principles.)