PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Spiritual Weapon - Does It Block Squares/Hamper Movement

Thurbane
2020-05-06, 07:17 PM
I asked this in the Simple RAW thread with no luck.

Does moving though a square containing a Spiritual Weapon (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spiritualWeapon.htm) block or hamper movement in any way?

I've played under DMs that have ruled it does, and other that say it doesn't.

Happy to listen to all views.

Cheers - T

InvisibleBison
2020-05-06, 08:00 PM
A spiritual weapon is an mobile, active Tiny object floating in mid-air. It stands to reason that it should be about as easy to through its square as to move through a square occupied by a flying Tiny creature. Thus, I'd say that if you're the caster or an ally of the caster you can move but not charge through the spiritual weapon's space, and if you're an enemy of the caster you can only move through its space if you're Large or if you can tumble past it.

Clementx
2020-05-06, 08:52 PM
Most are one-handed items, so a Small object. Would you block movement due to a wooden stool?

The real answer is no, because the spell doesn't say it does, nor say, "treat as a Small creature" which calls up other rules about movement.

Powerdork
2020-05-06, 08:52 PM
It stands to reason that it should be about as easy to through its square as to move through a square occupied by a flying Tiny creature.

Only if you accept that a Tiny object, even animated, is comparable to a Tiny creature. Given that a polearm (a two-handed weapon) sized for a human is a Medium object, can you say that's the case?

InvisibleBison
2020-05-06, 09:01 PM
Most are one-handed items, so a Small object.
Normally one-handed weapons designed for Medium creatures are Small, but for some reason the weapon spiritual weapon creates is Tiny - look at the part where it lays out the weapon's AC.

Only if you accept that a Tiny object, even animated, is comparable to a Tiny creature. Given that a polearm (a two-handed weapon) sized for a human is a Medium object, can you say that's the case?
I'd say a two-foot long sword flying around and trying to stab someone is about as hard to dodge past as a two-foot tall pixie flying around trying to stab someone.

el minster
2020-05-18, 03:51 PM
Normally one-handed weapons designed for Medium creatures are Small, but for some reason the weapon spiritual weapon creates is Tiny - look at the part where it lays out the weapon's AC.

I'd say a two-foot long sword flying around and trying to stab someone is about as hard to dodge past as a two-foot tall pixie flying around trying to stab someone.

I second this opinion