PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Verdant Prince > Fiend of Corruption

Thurbane
2020-05-06, 11:11 PM
I have a nagging feeling I've asked this question before, but anyway...

How can I get a Verdant Prince (16HD Fey) into the Fiend of Corruption PrC?

The skill reqs are easy, and I can wrangle the charm monster/person req with the Fey Presence feat or a dip into Sorcerer...

The hard part is being an Outsider with the Evil subtype.

Human Heritage + Unholy Scion might work, but having them qualify for Human Heritage is iffy at best, and comes with an unwelcome CR increase of 3.

I can hand-waive it, but that is usually my last resort. Also, dips into savage progressions aren't allowed in our games.

Any thoughts?

Cheers - T

Feantar
2020-05-06, 11:40 PM
You only need to become an outsider. You can get the evil subtype with a ritual from Savage Species. This is iffy, but I seem to recall that the Faerun regional feats could be taken either through their requirements, or by having a number of ranks in Knowledge(Local). Iff I am not mistaken, then you can just take otherwordly.

You could also become a ghostwalk ghost.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-06, 11:43 PM
Half-Fiend 1 (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a) from the savage progression gets the Outsider type for just +1 LA. If you use the variant Half-Fiend (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) and base it on a fiend that gets a Charm Person spell-like ability, you can even replace one of the ones you get from the template class with that.

The evil subtype can be gained via the rituals in Savage Species, so just add it for story reasons. Maybe the above is actual fiend blood coursing through his otherwise fey veins, not something from his ancestry. Sort of like the bad orcs from the Warcraft universe who drank the blood of Mannoroth. He himself was corrupted by something, and it's driving him to corrupt others?

Thurbane
2020-05-07, 12:40 AM
Partial savage progressions are out, not allowed.

However, I had forgotten about the SS rituals for subtypes, that's good.

If I could justify Human Heritage, that combined with Mulhorandi Divine Minion and the ritual would work.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-07, 01:11 AM
You may as well try to justify Otherworldly instead, it skips a step and avoids an extra LA/CR increase.

Thurbane
2020-05-07, 05:19 AM
The Fiendform spell (or Devil's Ego) changes type to outsider for 1 min/level...the VP could UMD a scroll. And technically, don't PrCs only check your eligibility when you take the first level? Combine with the Ritual of Alignment.

It's cheesier than I normally like, but it could be argued as a RAW solution with no CR increase...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-07, 09:01 AM
The Fiendform spell (or Devil's Ego) changes type to outsider for 1 min/level...the VP could UMD a scroll. And technically, don't PrCs only check your eligibility when you take the first level? Combine with the Ritual of Alignment.

It's cheesier than I normally like, but it could be argued as a RAW solution with no CR increase...

It depends, CW's prestige classes chapter specifically says that if a character no longer meets the prerequisites of a prestige class, they lose all the special abilities granted by that prestige class until they've regained the prerequisites. Some say that only applies to CW's prestige classes, whereas others consider it a blanket update to the general rules on taking prestige classes.

Furthermore, prestige classes and leveling up are metagame concepts that PCs and monsters and even deities have zero in-game knowledge of. No creature would ever know to cast a spell prior to leveling up, because the concept of leveling up has never occurred to them. It's even less legitimate than just changing its type, or giving it a racial bonus feat that it wouldn't otherwise qualify for which changes its type, for story reasons. Creatures never need to meet the prerequisites for racial bonus feats they have, and as long as it doesn't increase its BAB, saves, HD, skill points, etc. from its racial hit dice, or otherwise add to its combat stats, it wouldn't even be a CR increase.

Nifft
2020-05-07, 10:12 AM
Here are the core rules regarding PrCs found in the DMG:

Prestige classes are purely optional and always under the purview of the DM. We encourage you, as the DM, to tightly limit the prestige classes available in your campaign. The example prestige classes are certainly not all encompassing or definitive. They might not even be appropriate for your campaign. The best prestige classes for your campaign are the ones you tailor make yourself.

The best prestige classes for your campaign are the ones you tailor make yourself.

The core rules say to make a new class for your Verdant Lord.

Silvercrys
2020-05-07, 02:44 PM
If Dragon Mag is legal, #321 has the Radiant Creature template. It's LA+3 but only CR+1. Still need the alignment ritual though.

Falontani
2020-05-09, 11:39 AM
Just add half fiend with the savage species ability. Or read Evil Outsider as an outsider with the evil alignment. Unless it specifically calls out outsider with evil subtype, evil outsider can be read both ways (somewhat cheesy and not rai)