PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Mounted Celestial Warlock for Descent into Avernus?

Citadel97501
2020-05-07, 01:05 AM
Hello all, I am working on a character for a campaign using Descent into Avernus. I am interested in playing a medium sized mounted Celestial Warlock, but I was hoping to get some opinions from others on whether it will work? The celestial warlock is something I have been looking forward to trying out, as I love its versatility.

I do understand that I won't get a lot of benefits from the mounted element, but I was thinking it would lend a unique element to the character.

Here is what I have up to level 8, although we are starting at level 1.

VHuman Celestial Tomelock 8
Starting Stats: 10 Strength, 14 Dexterity, 14 Constitution, 10 Intelliegence, 8 Wisdom, 15 Charisma
Racial: +1 Constitution, +1 Charisma
ASI/Feats: Mounted Combat at level 1, Level 4: Resilience for Constitution, Level 8 - Level 16: +4 Charisma, +2 Constitution

Cantrips: Sacred Flame, Light, Green Flame Blade, Booming Blade, Eldritch Blast
Tome Cantrips: Guidance, Mage Hand, Shillelagh

Spells: Armor of Agathys, Cure Wounds, Flaming Sphere, Shadow Blade, Counterspell, Revivify, Wall of Fire, Sickening Radiance
Rituals: Find Familiar, Unseen Servant
Invocations: Book of Ancient Secrets, Eldritch Sight, Repelling Blast, Maddening Hex

da newt
2020-05-07, 08:34 AM
Talk to your DM.

How will you feed / water your steed?
Can they climb stairs?
Will you be able to buy a replacement in Avernus?
How will you get them over a 10' wall?
A 5' passage or door just means difficult terrain for a large mount, right?
Can you double up riders?
Can you sneak while mounted?
What if it's dark?
Will I be able to find barding?
Will every AoE kill it? (I think most mounts have crap Saves)

etc

I love the idea of a mount (movement speed + disengage alone is great), but if you can't summon a special one and have to rely on a horse in hell where I assume there aren't bunches of farmers raising horses, alfalfa pastures on every corner, etc I'd be afraid that I'd lose my mount and couldn't get another.

Maybe go Paladin for FIND STEED?

D.U.P.A.
2020-05-07, 10:33 AM
Talk to your DM.

How will you feed / water your steed?
Can they climb stairs?
Will you be able to buy a replacement in Avernus?
How will you get them over a 10' wall?
A 5' passage or door just means difficult terrain for a large mount, right?
Can you double up riders?
Can you sneak while mounted?
What if it's dark?
Will I be able to find barding?
Will every AoE kill it? (I think most mounts have crap Saves)

etc

I love the idea of a mount (movement speed + disengage alone is great), but if you can't summon a special one and have to rely on a horse in hell where I assume there aren't bunches of farmers raising horses, alfalfa pastures on every corner, etc I'd be afraid that I'd lose my mount and couldn't get another.

Maybe go Paladin for FIND STEED?

He can find a Phantom Steed ritual if he took tome boon