PDA

View Full Version : A simple question

bugsysservant
2007-10-25, 06:31 PM
Isn't there a feat which lets you treat a number of skills as class skills? Or am I completely hallucinating this?

Mr. Moogle
2007-10-25, 06:33 PM
Its called jack of all trades its in the complete adventuter and it lets you treat all skills as class skills

Shas aia Toriia
2007-10-25, 06:35 PM
Jack of all Trades, can't remember which book though.

bugsysservant
2007-10-25, 06:38 PM
Sorry, I guess my question wasn't clear. What I want to know is if there is a feat that lets you add skills to your class skill list, so you can gain ranks in them without having to pay double skill points.

TimeWizard
2007-10-25, 06:40 PM
I don't beleive so.

bugsysservant
2007-10-25, 06:45 PM
Huh, I wonder why I thought one existed?

Temp
2007-10-25, 06:50 PM
Well, I know City Slicker in Races of Destiny adds a few (Disguise, Gather Information, Forgery and Know.--Local). There are probably more, but it might take me a while to check.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-25, 06:51 PM
If I remember correctly, Races of Destiny has a human-only feat that does that. If you just want to add a few, or replace some, there are a few variants. One our group uses occasionally is that at first level pick a number of skills equal to 1/4 the number of skill points you would get. Instead of gaining those skill points, those skills are considered to have max ranks in them, no matter multiclasses, PrCs, etc. Though exceptions can be made, so you can't take your first level in rogue so you have a bunch of skills than go on with your build or you PrC into Exemplar from Bard or something, you can gain more skills, albeit at a lower rank.

Lochar
2007-10-25, 06:51 PM
The Human Paragon class allows you to select one skill and always consider it a class skill.

bugsysservant
2007-10-25, 06:53 PM
Well, I ask because I want to add intimidate as a class skill. Any help there?

Irreverent Fool
2007-10-25, 06:53 PM
In Mongoose Publishing's Ultimate Feats book, there is a feat that's called simply 'Cross Class Learning'. It allows you to chose a particular skill that will then always be considered a class skill for you.

There are other feats in WotC books that give you other advantages and let you always treat a couple of skills as class skills, but they are few in number and don't have the potential implications or the infinite flexibility of this particular feat.

Edit:

If I remember correctly, Races of Destiny has a human-only feat that does that.

I don't think that'd do what he wanted. The 'Able Learner' feat lets you treat cross-class skills as class skills for the purposes of determine how many skill points a rank costs, but you are still limited to the normal amount of ranks in a cross-class skill. EG: It lets you spend 2 rather than 4 points to get those 2 ranks in a cross-class skill.

Temp
2007-10-25, 06:54 PM
Of Course, there's always Factotum+Able Learner if you really want to commit to skill availability.

Irreverent Fool
2007-10-25, 06:57 PM
Well, I ask because I want to add intimidate as a class skill. Any help there?

I'll look. While I do, tell us why! :smallsmile:

cupkeyk
2007-10-25, 07:06 PM
Hmmmn this is easy.

Take Martial Study from ToB:Bo9S. Pick a maneuver from Devoted Spirit. You get a once per encounter ability and intimidate as a class skill for all your classes. ^_^

bugsysservant
2007-10-25, 07:08 PM
Well, I'm currently in a bit of a rivalry with someone over the most powerful/versatile character. We both agreed that a properly PrC'ed batman wizard is the best, so the one qualifier is that it can't have a solely arcane progression. I'm trying to come up with a build that will let me beat his.

So far, as I haven't fleshed out feat allocation or even the final classes, I have:

Wizard 1 (precocious Apprentice)
Wizard 2-x
Ur Preist 2
Mystic Theurge 8
Other x

For the Wizard 2-x gap, and the 6 ranks in bluff for Ur Preist I was looking for a feat that would grant cross class skills so that I can add in a few levels of Anima Mage instead of straight wizard for a few nifty goodies. 'Course a level of binder would reduce my feat consumption and solve my problem, but I am trying to avoid losing caster levels.

Anyway, if done right (I hope), you have 9th level divine spells, 9th level arcane spells, Divine Metamagic opportunities, Several Binder levels, Anima Mage power metamagic, and a few other goodies all for under twenty levels.

bugsysservant
2007-10-25, 07:12 PM
Hmmmn this is easy.

Take Martial Study from ToB:Bo9S. Pick a maneuver from Devoted Spirit. You get a once per encounter ability and intimidate as a class skill for all your classes. ^_^

Hmm, I'll look into that. If you're right (and I'm not doubting you) I should have the necesary feats by level three to fulfill my anima mage requirements, and then I can just kill time in that class till Ur mage opens up (Anima Mages have Bluff as a class skill)

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-25, 07:17 PM
Hm, I guess variants are out. But one variant I use sometimes is you remove two class skills and replace them with a single cross-class skill. It works pretty well.

Edit: Wow, I never noticed the clause in Martial Study that says you get the discipline's favored skill as a class skill, that a nice perk!

bugsysservant
2007-10-25, 07:18 PM
WoTC variants are fine, but the homebrew and 3rd party sources aren't necesarily balanced (like WoTC is :smallwink: )

Thomix
2007-10-25, 07:20 PM
Versatility from Rokugan, but it's 3.0.

TK-Squared
2007-10-25, 07:25 PM
Its called jack of all trades its in the complete adventuter and it lets you treat all skills as class skills

No, it doesn't. It allows you to use skill checks as though you had 1/2 a rank in them for trained only checks.

F.L.
2007-10-25, 07:27 PM
The feat Draconic Heritage from Complete Arcane has a list of skills that become in class for you when you take the feat. Red Dragon Heritage has intimidate specifically. This requires a level in sorceror, and will also confer a bonus against fire damage and sleep spells of +1.

bugsysservant
2007-10-25, 07:32 PM
Alright, lets see what I can do:
Human Wizard 3/Anima Mage 6/Ur Preist 2/Mystic Theurge 8/X 1

Flaws:Innattentive, and Murky Eyed
Wizard takes Precocious Apprentice, Martial Study (Devoted Spirit), Bind Vestige, Improved Bind Vestige at level one and a metamagic feat at three.

Takes skill focus (evil) and iron will at six and nine.

Takes two levels of Ur Preist. You now can cast second level divine and arcane spells, qualifying you for Mystic Theurge.

Finish out the Ur Preist spell progression with Mystic Theurge, and you still have a level to kill. Congratualations, you're level 19, can cast ninth level divine and arcane spells, are a level six binder, and can use Divine metamagic.

Edit: Damn forgot to drop Precocious Apprentice after revising. You can now push it back three levels. Now, you just have to figure out what to do with the levels at the end...

cupkeyk
2007-10-25, 07:43 PM
...and you have an initiator level of 9, but then you only have one devoted spirit maneuver.

Lemur
2007-10-25, 07:52 PM
Huh, I wonder why I thought one existed?

Cosmopolitan from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, let you pick a single skill to be a permanent class skill and gave a +2 on checks with it. I don't think it appeared in any 3.5 sourcebooks, but Martial Study probably works better in your case anyway.

bugsysservant
2007-10-25, 08:00 PM
Cosmopolitan from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, let you pick a single skill to be a permanent class skill and gave a +2 on checks with it. I don't think it appeared in any 3.5 sourcebooks, but Martial Study probably works better in your case anyway.

That's the one! Thanks, but I think I will go with Martial Study.

Gralamin
2007-10-25, 08:04 PM
...and you have an initiator level of 9, but then you only have one devoted spirit maneuver.

He Actually has an Initiator level of 18, as all Prestige Classes count as +1 Initiator Level.

Douglas
2007-10-25, 09:09 PM
No you don't. Page 39 of ToB says PrCs add full initiator level "in most cases" and then refers you to the individual class descriptions later in the book for details. Most of the PrCs in ToB specify in the individual class description that they add the full class level to initiator level. Those that do not have that clause, including every single PrC in any source other than ToB, provide the same rate of advancement as any base class - 1/2 per level.

Darrin
2007-10-25, 09:10 PM
He Actually has an Initiator level of 18, as all Prestige Classes count as +1 Initiator Level.

Nope, not unless they are a Martial Adept prestige class.

Bloodclaw Master, Deepstone Sentinel, Eternal Blade, Jade Phoenix Mage, Master of Nine, Ruby Knight Vindicator and Shadow Sun Ninja are the only PrCs that give you full Initiator Levels. The PrC description needs to have a "Maneuvers:" section that says "You add your full <blah> levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known."

Bloodstorm Blade, oddly (and sadly) enough, only counts 1/2 towards your IL, as do any other non-ToB PrCs.

cupkeyk
2007-10-25, 09:37 PM
Cosmopolitan 3.5 no longer lets you choose a cross-class skill and make it a class skill with a plus 2 bonus. You just get a plus 2 to bluff, sense motive and gather info.