PDA

View Full Version : Heating metal on the run... how to cast that spell and avoid being walloped

dehro
2020-05-07, 07:17 AM
is there a way for a fragile wizard to cast heat metal on the BBEG and then get out of his way before he gets AoO'd into oblivion?
Misty step would do nicely, but is not possible because of the 2 spells in one round rule...am I missing an obvious alternative that doesn't rely on third party intervention?

Contrast
2020-05-07, 08:40 AM
Heat Metal is not a touch spell?

Cast it from 60ft away.

Edit - It's also not a wizard spell... :smallconfused:

Deathtongue
2020-05-07, 08:49 AM
is there a way for a fragile wizard to cast heat metal on the BBEG and then get out of his way before he gets AoO'd into oblivion?While Heat Metal is not a touch spell nor a wizard spell, generally the safest (as it were) way is to use the familiar from Find Familiar.

firelistener
2020-05-07, 09:10 AM
While Heat Metal is not a touch spell nor a wizard spell, generally the safest (as it were) way is to use the familiar from Find Familiar.

You can actually only cast spells with the Touch range through a familiar, rules as written.

CheddarChampion
2020-05-07, 09:17 AM
You can actually only cast spells with the Touch range through a familiar, rules as written.

I think Deathtongue means if it was a wizard/touch spell then your best bet is to use a familiar.

MrStabby
2020-05-07, 09:17 AM
is there a way for a fragile wizard to cast heat metal on the BBEG and then get out of his way before he gets AoO'd into oblivion?
Misty step would do nicely, but is not possible because of the 2 spells in one round rule...am I missing an obvious alternative that doesn't rely on third party intervention?

Yes there is. The Eladrin from the DMG can teleport as per misty step without casting a spell.

The Izzet background from Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica gives access to the heat metal spell.

Contrast
2020-05-07, 09:51 AM
Yes there is. The Eladrin from the DMG can teleport as per misty step without casting a spell.

The Eladrin from Mordenkainens don't cast Misty Step, they just magically teleport and so don't trigger the bonus action spell restriction. The one from the DMG gets access to Misty Step once per short rest, so would trigger the bonus action spell restriction the turn they use it.

dehro
2020-05-07, 10:10 AM
well... that was dumb... I was thinking of 2 different spells in different contexts and listed the wrong one... the question however remains valid for the purpose of identifying a strategy for a wizard to deliver a touch spell and then skedaddle...

and I seem to have had a couple of workable answers... very well.

Thank you :) retroactively changing race won't do, but I should be able to get the familiar to deliver

Contrast
2020-05-07, 11:07 AM
Blink is another (risky) option.

You need to be able to see someone to make an opportunity attack. Greater Invisibility is probably the most reliable option but any spell which obstructs sight would work.

You can also multiclass two levels of Fighter (action surge for a disengage) - this would have worked better having taken your first level as fighter though unfortunately for the con save and armour prof.

Haste also can give you another action for disengaging.

You could mutliclass rogue or something or pick up Mobile but those are quite hefty investments for the return you'd get.

Familiar is def the safest and most resource efficient answer though.

NorthernPhoenix
2020-05-08, 07:32 AM
All of these are a lot more complicated than simply having friends.

Benny89
2020-05-08, 07:57 AM

Kite. That's what I mostly do with casters (unless we fight in very small spaces). I try to cast at least from maximum distance at start and then run each turn. Even if they dash (which is fine, they waste action) I just use my movement, keeping maximum distance every turn. Even if they dash every time it takes them mostly at least 2 turns to get to me that way, which is 2 turns wasting action and my party mauling him.

Remember about Shield + Dodge Action. +5 AC and disadvantage on enemy attacks is really nice.

Greywander
2020-05-09, 01:16 AM
IIRC, you only provoke OAs if you willingly move out of a creature's reach. If someone/something else moves you, you don't provoke an OA. So, you could have an ally grapple you and pull you back, or you could have an ally use some kind of forced movement to move you out of the BBEG's reach.

Two levels in rogue lets you Disengage as a bonus action.

OA's require the attacker to see the target, so drop a Fog Cloud or somehow blind the BBEG and they can't make OAs. Be wary of blindsight, though.

Trickery cleric can use Invoke Duplicity to create an illusory clone. They can then cast spells from the clone's space.

But yes, for a touch spell, casting it through a familiar is probably the best option.