PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Path of the Retiarius

KOLE
2020-05-07, 01:09 PM
Path of the Retiarius

In some corners of civilization, there exists a very special kind of barbarian. A warrior dedicated to entertaining the crowd with feats of guile as well as bloodshed. It is said that long ago this style was developed by an underdog fisherman forced to compete against his will. With no conventional training in war, he used the tools of his trade to stay a step ahead of his conventionally armed opponents, pleasing the crowds with his novel technique and winning his freedom. Regardless of origin, the Retiarius is in popular demand in similar arenas to this day, and their prowess extends to combat outside of the arenas as well.

Master of Nets

What really sets you apart from other warriors is your mastery of the net, an unconventional weapon. Your skill is learned from the bloody sands of the arena, honed by nail-bitingly narrow victories. When you choose this path at 3rd level, you gain the following benefits:

When making an attack with a net, you use your choice of your Strength or Dexterity modifier for the attack and damage rolls. You must use the same modifier for both rolls.
The AC of any net you utilize equals your own, and it can take an amount of slashing damage equal to twice your Barbarian level before it is destroyed.
In order to free itself from the net, a creature can use its action to make a Strength saving throw against a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier, your choice when you gain this feature.
The long range of your net is equal to your Strength score or 15, whichever is higher. Throwing a net at long range no longer imposes disadvantage.
If you are holding a weapon that lacks the Heavy or Two-Handed property, you may hold a net in your other hand and throw it as a bonus action.
As long as you are holding a net, you can use a Bonus Action to grapple a creature within 5 feet of you with it. When grappled in this way, the creature has disadvantage on attack rolls against any creature other than you.

Raised by the Tide

Also at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Water Vehicles and the Survival Skill. Additionally, when you take a short rest, you can repair a number of destroyed nets equal to your proficiency bonus.

Crowd Favorite

At 6th level, you've learned success not only comes from your skill and brutality, but also by winning the favor of the crowd. You gain proficiency in the Intimidation and Performance skills if you don't already have it. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of those proficiencies.

Unarmored Master

Also at 6th level, while you are raging, if you are not holding a weapon with the Two-Handed or Heavy properties, you gain +2 to your AC.

Placeholder Name

At 10th level, while you're raging, if you miss with a melee weapon attack, you can make immediately take the shove action against the same target. You can only do so once per turn.

Placeholder Name: Electric Boogaloo
At 14th level, you've become a master of unconventional warfare, disrupting your foes at every turn. While you're raging, and as long you are wielding either a net or a melee weapon lacking the Two-Handed or Heavy properties, you can choose from the following reactions when targeted by an attack:
You can impose disadvantage all attacks from the triggering creature.
You can make a contested Strength (Athletics) check to disarm the creature of any item they are holding or a shield they are wearing.

I was inspired, so I typed this up in a flurry. Literally only 15-20 minutes of work went into this, so it's rough. But the bones are good, and I needed to get the rough draft out there. It's powerful, and it gets a lot, but you only get the benefits is you aren't doing to Barb's usual shtick: great weapon fighting. I feel like that trade off needs to be rewarded, but I may have overcompensated. I also realize this could be confusing. Tear it apart, Playground, let's build this up together.

JNAProductions
2020-05-07, 02:05 PM
Feels significantly overpowered.

Level 3 turns Nets from niche to potentially OP.

Level 6 is two expertises, though admittedly performance is... Niche, at best.
It's also a straight +2 to AC, letting you hit AC 24 before level 20, and AC 26 (or 24 without a shield) at 20.

Level 10 feels... Decent, I guess? Not broken.

Level 14 feels way too good, especially in solo fights.

KOLE
2020-05-07, 02:18 PM
Feels significantly overpowered.

Level 3 turns Nets from niche to potentially OP.

Level 6 is two expertises, though admittedly performance is... Niche, at best.
It's also a straight +2 to AC, letting you hit AC 24 before level 20, and AC 26 (or 24 without a shield) at 20.

Level 10 feels... Decent, I guess? Not broken.

Level 14 feels way too good, especially in solo fights.

Thanks for the response! Level 3 definitely needs trimming. It's mostly a wishlist to either be diced up and spread out through the class levels or trimmed down. Considering replacing it by keeping the bonus action grapple, making that more central to the class itself, allowing you to throw it as a bonus action, and adding +1 ac when holding a weapon in one hand and a net in the other, making throwing the net a choice with a cost. Will probably keep the pseudo-finesse, (though no Barb can dump Dex, meaning it's not strictly necessary) and axe the long range without disadvantage. Might say explicitly spell out Reckless can be used with it though.

Level 6 is pure ribbon. Considering how MAD Barbs are, they're never going to be great at intimidation/performance. I figure expertise is the least we can do for them. Also, the +2 AC was supposed to include a clause to say it only worked if you weren't wearing armor or a shield, but it's dumb and it's getting the axe. I like the idea of the trade off getting an AC bonus if you're holding a net though, and it's thematic since Retiarius did use the net to parry, as well as use the trident to catch blades. I didn't want to force the Trident flavor though.

Level 10 is my proudest feature in this, I think it's a quite fun ability, very thematic for Barbs (or Monks, honestly.)

Level 14 needs help, for sure. I wanted to give them something around Reactions but it's strong. It either needs to be limited once per short rest or axed completely. I do like the idea of them being able to strip a shield however.