PDA

View Full Version : Druid Change: Wildshape to “Primal Gift”

BerzerkerUnit
2020-05-07, 02:56 PM
This is short: it takes an ounce of inspiration from the cleric’s channel divinity and a lot of the Warlock’s pact boon.

Instead of defaulting to Wildshape you get your choice of a “Primal Gift”

When you reach level 2 you choose a primal gift

Some subclasses may provide alternate uses for your primal gift feature:

Primal gifts
Wildshape (as book)
Nature Spirit (as wildfire pet but it’s normally a plant and spits poison)
Force of Nature- you can manifest a natural weapon that improves as you level eventually
granting a multi attack or your choice of extra poison damage or a grapple rider to the attack (like a Venus flytrap face or octopus tentacles).

I need to write up alterations for circles based on which gift you choose, but I imagine Moon expanding to include the Animal Companion or “werecreature” options.

Segev
2020-05-07, 03:54 PM
Nothing inherently wrong with it, but if you want to do it cleanly without changing the base class, just have the subclasses let you expend wild shape for their alternate features. They can restrict wild shape further than standard if you want, too, though remember that anything that does that needs to be giving something akin to moon druid wild shape with its "use wild shape to fuel this" ability, because you're stripping a core class function.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-05-07, 04:27 PM
As is a lot of subclasses are starting to use Wildshape as a resource spent to not change shape, if that makes sense. Wildfire is the biggest example.

With this you’re just renaming the resource and choosing what you want to spend it for.

This lets me tinker a bit so Druids become more varied in execution and disrupt the existing meta with more archetypes.

Example: what if a Moondruid with the Force of Nature gift could smite for bonus poison damage with their natural weapon? Or spend a slot to restrain if they grapple.

A Wildfire Druid that transformed their fingers into flaming vines, stuff along those lines.

A land Druid that ran with a Cactuar?

Shepherd Druid with a gore attack they use when they summon a herd of cattle to fight?

I’m still workshopping it.