PDA

View Full Version : Prepping my Bard to Fight a Dragon

Grimmnist
2020-05-07, 03:33 PM
My DM is definitely going to make us fight an adult red dragon in the not too distant future. Unfortunately I play Lore Bard so most of my bread and butter will do little except for eating some Legendary Resistances. I am currently level 7 and will probably be 8 or 9 by the time we get to the dragon so I do have a chance to filter my spell list a bit to better prep for the encounter. Listed below is my current spell list, what can I swap off, what should I add and what sort of tactics might be generally useful?

The rest of the party is Pali, Monk, Blaster Wizard, Kibblestasty Artificer Infusionsmith (hits things within 40ft with floating swords). They are all 1 level above me.

Cantrips: Prestidigitation, Light, Message
1st: Faerie Fire, Dissonant Whispers, Healing Word
2nd: Hold Person, Enhance Ability, Blindness/Deafness, Calm Emotions, Healing Spirit (Magical Secrets)
3rd: Hypnotic Pattern, Major Image, Counterspell(Magical Secrets)
4th: Polymorph

Eldariel
2020-05-07, 05:20 PM
You already have Polymorph, which is great for grappling the Dragon down. Grapple doesn't allow for saves, and you can turn anyone into a Giant Ape to this end, then Cutting Words the Dragon. This succeeds almost every time. All it takes is someone getting next to the Dragon; coordinate to Dimension Door there or just wait for it to come too close. Similar results can be reached via Telekinesis or Bigby's Hand though sadly you'll lack level 10 Magical Secrets unless this goes 3 levels in. If you happen to have means to access a Summon spell (or an ally does), summoning anything Large or bigger can try the same (Giant Constrictor Snake is the classic option). Shove and Grapple are both very efficient against a Dragon.

Other than that, Int save-or-X are generally a good way to milk a Dragon's Legendary Saves. Phantasmal Force is probably the lowest level effective spell. They'll generally fail being forced to save. Alternatively, Major Image is an Int Investigate that doesn't have a save. You can't quite make it persistent yet but it can be extremely valuable; it has basically everything so it might even defeat Blindsight. If it doesn't, just keep it 60' away shooting/dodging at it.

Wall-spells are obviously great. You don't get any natively, but Wall of Force would be a superb pick for Magical Secrets anyways and it's a good no-save effect for this too if you ever do get to level 10. Synaptic Static is a fine 5th level Bard-spell to this end too. They'll want to Legendary Resist it and it'll still do some damage. Of course, their HP pool is absurd so this is secondary to actually CCing them but it's a no-Concentration effect that's solid.

Overall, you'll want to CC it down. Anything where you can use your Cutting Words to **** up its ability checks is optimal. If the party can Enlarge someone (or if you learn the effect), that'll already do but as mentioned, Polymorph is better. Other than that, walls, summons, buffs and in general, anything non-save related. Even attack roll spells would be fine though Bard obviously gets none natively. anything to deal with the fear is also nice.

Yuroch Kern
2020-05-07, 05:21 PM
If you're confident about your Charisma, then a current tactic is dropping the Inspiration like candy and Dissonant Whispers. But hypercritical is Fire resistance of some kind. Does your Bard know if the dragon is a caster too?

Grimmnist
2020-05-07, 06:34 PM
@Eldarial Thanks, those are all really good tips. The Polymorph grapple seems like a good bet especially since I can easily stack Bardic Inspiration and Cutting Words, and thanks for reminding me Phantasmal Force is an int save. I didn't realize how good Synaptic Static is, that's something to look forward to.

If you're confident about your Charisma, then a current tactic is dropping the Inspiration like candy and Dissonant Whispers. But hypercritical is Fire resistance of some kind. Does your Bard know if the dragon is a caster too?

I have a bunch of Fire Resist potions I'm saving for that fight. The dragon is not a caster, but might be supported by one in which case I drop a concentration and turn into a counterspell bot.

Yuroch Kern
2020-05-07, 08:59 PM
There are two things you can do to deal with the fear: Countercharm and if you grab it, Heroism. Since you have Inspire and a paladin, Heroism is not really needed, so first round, do Countercharm. I don't know your DM's style, but most red dragons will open with Fear, which can end your plans cold. Also, a support caster might open with a Fear or Charm effect, so shut that down ASAP. After that, Eldariel has solid tactics, and just burn through your CW, you are indeed the one to deal with Legendary Resistance. Hit him with Dissonont Whispers, since the rider will screw with his multi attack, and the breath has a recharge roll. All in all, if there is support, take him out first. That is a wild card that needs to go away fast...