PDA

View Full Version : Most egregious stat block errors?

gogogome
2020-05-07, 04:10 PM
I'll start.
Dream Master Quori from Magic of Eberron.
It has the Talented feat, but no Overchannel feat.
It treats Project Quori Spirit, a power with duration concentration, as if it's a summon monster spell. This power made its debut in the same book.
The writer's forgot about the rule that psi-like abilities are augmented to the maximum within the PLA's caster level so all of its powers are much weaker than it should. Most notably the Mind Thrust's DC should be 21 not 15.

I'm not fully sure about this one, but it is my knowledge that only creatures with power point reserves can obtain and maintain psionic foci. Dream Master has none, so all of its feats are unusable.

Biggus
2020-05-07, 09:00 PM
I'm quite a fan of the Vigilante from CAdv whose 3rd-level spells per day go 0,1,20,31,32,33...

Buufreak
2020-05-07, 10:00 PM
I'm quite a fan of the Vigilante from CAdv whose 3rd-level spells per day go 0,1,20,31,32,33...

Eh. That's a formatting error. Obviously the second number should be in the 4th column.

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-05-07, 10:52 PM
The Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer has always bugged me. Either the weapon is wrong or the monster is. If the weapon entry is wrong, the weapon is trash. If the monster entry is wrong, then it's basically rendered one of the handful of exotic weapons that's actually semi-useful pretty much useless in an actual game because of the decent chance a DM will object to you using it.

Also, as always, LOL at the lvl 1 Swordsage's 6+Intx6 skill points at lvl 1.

Biggus
2020-05-07, 11:27 PM
Eh. That's a formatting error. Obviously the second number should be in the 4th column.

Yes. They said egregious errors, not what kind...

Psyren
2020-05-08, 01:19 AM
I seem to remember that MM2 was so full of weirdness in its stat blocks that the playground dedicated a thread to going through it, so I'd probably start there.

Quertus
2020-05-08, 01:53 AM
My favorite is from the 2e counterpart to the MIC: the Daern's Instant Fortress deals 10d10 points of dawizard to those caught in the AoE of its growth.

StevenC21
2020-05-08, 02:05 AM
As opposed to 10d10 points of dacleric.

KillianHawkeye
2020-05-08, 03:42 AM
As opposed to 10d10 points of dacleric.

Somebody at TSR did a "Find and Replace" to change all instances of "mage" into "wizard", and didn't double check the results.

Buufreak
2020-05-08, 11:16 AM
Somebody at TSR did a "Find and Replace" to change all instances of "mage" into "wizard", and didn't double check the results.

That's why whenever I do find/replace, I sandwich it in spaces, so " mage " is always in exact context.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2020-05-08, 11:20 AM
Not super “egregious” since text trumps table, but Stonechild in RoS has a description that gives racial mods of +8/+8 to Str and Con, but the monster class table only grants +8STR, +6 CON

Khedrac
2020-05-08, 11:45 AM
[off topic]

That's why whenever I do find/replace, I sandwich it in spaces, so " mage " is always in exact context.
The problem with this is that you will miss all of the following, and potentially quite a few others:

mages
mage's
"mage
'mage
mages'
mage'
mage"
mage,
mage.
mage;Surrounding your search term with spaces pretty much guarantees that there is going to be some punctuation in there somewhere that you miss.

[/off topic]

I am surprised no-one has yet metioned the scorpion whip in Sandstorm that does 1d33 damage for small wielder and 1d43 damage for a medium wielder or the swordsage's infamouse ×6 skill points at first level
Admittedly these are not really stat-block errors, but they were the best I could come up with in a hurry.

Azuresun
2020-05-08, 07:12 PM

Maybe they were just big fans of this guy. (https://i.imgur.com/vW14lUu.jpg)

KillianHawkeye
2020-05-10, 05:25 AM
Maybe they were just big fans of this guy. (https://i.imgur.com/vW14lUu.jpg)

That must be it.

Blue Jay
2020-05-16, 11:27 AM
There two aren't necessarily "egregious," but they're little "oops" moments in a couple stat blocks:

Tome of Magic, p. 280, "Small Monstrous Shadow Spiders" (just Small monstrous spiders with the Shadow Creature template). Here's the "hit points" line:

hp 1 (4 HD)

(The 1 and 4 are obviously switched)

-----

Monster Manual IV, p. 55, "Lolth's Sting." Ninjas are supposed to lose their Wis to AC when wearing armor.

CIDE
2020-05-17, 06:44 PM
The Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer has always bugged me. Either the weapon is wrong or the monster is. If the weapon entry is wrong, the weapon is trash. If the monster entry is wrong, then it's basically rendered one of the handful of exotic weapons that's actually semi-useful pretty much useless in an actual game because of the decent chance a DM will object to you using it.

Also, as always, LOL at the lvl 1 Swordsage's 6+Intx6 skill points at lvl 1.

I am of the opinion that exotic weapons should be amazing. You're wasting a feat on it.

ShurikVch
2020-05-23, 08:58 AM
And what's up with it? (Seriously, I'm unaware)

Yes. They said egregious errors, not what kind...
If formatting errors are OK, then let me point to the 3.5 update booklet for the Epic Level Handbook:
Demilich is Vermin;
Devastation Beetle - Dragon (Fire);
Dragon, Prismatic (Old) - Elemental (Air, Extraplanar);
Elemental, Primal Water - Ooze;
Genius Loci - Aberration;
Gibbering Orb - Monstrous Humanoid;
Gloom - Construct;
Golem, Adamantine - Aberration;
Ha-Naga - Aberration (Shapechanger);
Hagnumemnon - Fey (Cold);
Hoary Hunter - Magical Beast (Cold);
Hoary Steed - Undead;
Hunefer - Undead (Fire);
Lavawight - Animal;
Legendary Tiger - Fey;
Leshay - Construct;
and Living Vault is untyped :smallamused:

My favorite is from the 2e counterpart to the MIC: the Daern's Instant Fortress deals 10d10 points of dawizard to those caught in the AoE of its growth.
From the very same book - Crystal Ball II:

This ball can be used only by a wizard. The user may look into the ball, concentrate on any place or object, and cause the iwizard of the place or object to appear. A crystal ball may be used three times per day, for up to one turn per use. The more familiar the object or area, the clearer the iwizard. To determine the type of crystal ball found, roll 1d8:

Roll
Ball Type

1-4
Normal: A normal crystal ball is as described above.

Clairaudial: For explanations of clairaudial baits, see the Clairaudience spell description.

Extra-sensory: For explanations of extra-sensory balls, see the ESP spell description,

7-8
Sending: A crystal ball of sending can be used to send one item weighing up to 1,000 pounds to a location viewed in the ball. Sending can be done only while the iwizard appears in the ball; the object must then be touched and a command word spoken. An object can be sent only to an unoccupied location and always arrives on a floor or firm surface, never in midair or within a liquid. Magical effects, such as a magic missile, cannot be sent through the ball of sending.

When Crystal Apple will release the new iWizard?

The Eye of Gruumsh major artifact (Epic Level Handbook):

This lump of rock has a marquis-cut black sapphire set in its center, making it appear similar to a large eye. Ore legends claim that the rock is actually the petrified eye of Gruumsh himself, put out ages ago by the elf deity Corellon Larethian. Elven sages scoff at this story, insisting that Corellon destroyed Gruumsh's eye completely.
Nevertheless, the Eye of Gruumsh has great power, particularly in the hands of one of ore blood. If possessed by an ore, it grants a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength and Charisma, and the ore's darkvision range is doubled. Nonorcs who possess the Eye gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength but take a –2 penalty to Intelligence and Charisma.
Regardless of the owner's race, any weapon wielded by the owner of the Eye is considered an elf bane weapon. Furthermore, by holding the Eye before you, you can perceive things as if you had true seeing cast upon you. This can be activated only once per day but lasts as long as you concentrate on it (requiring a standard action each round).

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/typo2005/2005typo11.jpg

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-05-23, 02:27 PM
And what's up with it? (Seriously, I'm unaware)
Exotic weapon. The Greathorn Minotaur Statblock shows 1d12, 20x4 crit. The item entry shows 1d12, 19-20x4 crit. If it's 19-20x4, then you can use it for crit builds or just unoptimized but cool martial characters. If it's 20x4, it's trash. And most DMs I've played with IRL get freaked out by a 19-20x4 weapon and claim that's a typo to disallow it.