PDA

View Full Version : How would you build the order of the stick in 5e?

Rfkannen
2020-05-07, 04:53 PM
Considering what forum we are on, how would you build each member of the order of the stick in 5e? What subclass/background would you pick for them?

Starting off with roy, he is interesting because I feel like he would WANT to be a battlemaster fighter but would wind up being a champion. He does have the one maneuver, but I feel that is more from him taking a feat. Background I guess would have to be sage? He knows a fair bit, and did go to fighter school. I'm going to guess he has the great weapon master, inspiring leader, and martial adapt feats.

How would you build the rest of the order?

Segev
2020-05-07, 05:00 PM
Considering what forum we are on, how would you build each member of the order of the stick in 5e? What subclass/background would you pick for them?

Starting off with roy, he is interesting because I feel like he would WANT to be a battlemaster fighter but would wind up being a champion. He does have the one maneuver, but I feel that is more from him taking a feat. Background I guess would have to be sage? He knows a fair bit, and did go to fighter school. I'm going to guess he has the great weapon master, inspiring leader, and martial adapt feats.

How would you build the rest of the order?

Well, Haley is a very straight-forward Thief Rogue, possibly with the Athletic feat. Expertise in Stealth and Sleight of Hand from level 1.

Elan is a Swords Bard, the Flourishes representing his 3.5 PrC in swashbuckling.

Belkar is a Ranger/Barbarian in 3.5, and we can hold to that in 5e. He's a strength build despite his smaller weapons, so his rage damage applies to both his on- and off-hand attacks, and he took the TWF fighting style. His animal companion (he got one toe into Beastmaster then multiclassed) is that daschund. It's tempting to have Mr. Scruffy be his familiar, perhaps from Magic Initiate, but no... Mr. Scruffy is a Tressym with a very good Disguise check to hide his wings, who has voluntarily bonded using Variant Familiar rules with Belkar.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-05-07, 06:05 PM
Durkon is a mountain dwarf storm or war cleric..
Vaarsuvius is a high elf wizard probably evocation?

Ortho
2020-05-07, 06:23 PM
And thus we begin the age-old question: does this conversation belong on the 5e subforum or the OotS subforum?

I would've pegged Roy as a Battlemaster Fighter (I think he's got a few maneuvers up his sleeve) but upon reflection, it's much more in-character for him to be a Champion. His whole shtick is proving that Fighters aren't as bad as they're made out to be; makes sense that he'd be a Champion over any of the flashier subclasses. As for his race, I'd say he's a regular Human due to his all-around decent stats, and has picked up the Great Weapon Master feat at some point.

Haley's a regular Human, and a Thief Rogue. No arguments here.

Prestige classes don't exist in 5e, so Elan's a pure Bard. 5e Bards are versatile enough that he could really belong to any of the colleges, but I'd say College of Lore is the most thematic for him. Probably a variant Human with either the Inspiring Leader or Lucky feat, though I doubt he's figured out how to use whichever one he has.

Belkar's a Stout Halfling, just so we can squeeze in a few more height jokes. Likely a Strength-based Beastmaster Ranger with the Dual Wielder feat.

Durkon's easy: Mountain Dwarf Tempest Cleric. I don't even think he's got any feats.

Vaarsuvius's a High Elf, of course. That extra cantrip and Intelligence bonus very nicely compliments his earlier "Ultimate Arcane Power" mindset. Also a School of Evocation Wizard through and through.