PDA

View Full Version : Your preferred playstyle

Sindal
2020-05-08, 01:36 AM
Hi gang

So out of a whim I figured I'd ask one of these again.

Q:In dnd, what is your preferred playstyle in a party of adventurers. In the "party role" sense.

Obviously we can enjoy many different ones in many different classes but which one would you naturally gravitate towards as your fave.

Some examples of what I mean:
- supportive (healing and buffing or disabling for the team)
- tank and frontlining
- skirmishing
- brawlers
- a range focused unit
- nuker (magical or physical)
- social and face

Obviously my list doesnt have to be the one you pick and a charafer can be a combination of these but it's one that came to mind.

I'd be interested to see the spread of players we have.

Mine is generally supportive. I like keeping people healthy and mighty and basicly being their lifeline. Hasting a damage dealer before he rips the enemy in two feels fun. It helps me feel like a team player too.

Necroanswer
2020-05-08, 02:20 AM
Controller: Alter the battlefield in some way to help the party. I also like using debuffing and debilitating abilities on foes.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-05-08, 03:12 AM
I like the BFC(Battlefield Control) the most: buffs, debuffs and the like.

I also like the Tank and usually make him as a BFC or nova so the enemies will want to attack him.

I also like playing face and skill monkeys.

For 1 shots I usually bring a character with a lot of damage and really ****ed up or wired personality for fun.

da newt
2020-05-08, 06:39 AM
In the groups I've played with, it seems like others appreciate a frontline tank most - a PC who takes hits to the face for them - HODOR. It's not my favorite playstyle, but it seems to be the one that everyone else is happy to see. Bear Totem Barbarian, max AC Paladin, Spirit Guardian Cleric, etc. combined with a happy go lucky attitude, don't start fights, and blend in. I've realized I answered a question you didn't ask ...

I like to play clever characters - ones who try to find creative and novel ways to succeed, ones why try to avoid taking damage, ones who try to circumvent obstacles, planners, chess over checkers, find cover, limit LOS, drop prone when out of melee range, outside the box stuff, etc. but not everyone enjoys that playstyle (including some DMs).

JackPhoenix
2020-05-08, 07:01 AM
Does "anything, at least I'll get to play instead of being a GM for once" count?

elyktsorb
2020-05-08, 07:26 AM
I quite honestly have no idea. I seem to drift between playstyles fairly frequently. Sometimes I'm a Moon Druid slapping everything, sometimes I'm a bard casting spells for control and buffs, sometimes I'm a Rogue who sits in the back and shoots people, sometimes I'm a Barbarian/Monk Tortle who punches things and stabs them with a Yklwa.

nickl_2000
2020-05-08, 07:48 AM
I don't play enough characters to really have a "playstyle." So far in 5e I've played
Halfling Shadow Monk
Glamour Bard
Melee Moon Druid/Ranger/Cleric
Heroism Paladin
Rogue (AT when he gets to level 3).

I am drawn to melee characters more than pure casters. Although I ADORE cantrips. So, figure that out.

stoutstien
2020-05-08, 08:33 AM
Does "anything, at least I'll get to play instead of being a GM for once" count?
*Thumbs up*

Terebin
2020-05-08, 08:56 AM
When I play CRPG's, I almost always play rogue. I want to mash that attack button until it's dead. I like very straightforward melee attacking.

I was surprised when that didn't feel compelling to me when playing at a tabletop. I think it's that there is so much time between attacks, and then my turn was over really fast.

What I've found I like a lot more is support. I love buffing the party - I feel really effective because there is a low risk of failure (if a monster makes their save, my turn feels "wasted") and I feel invested even when it's not my turn. If my Bless or Bardic Inspiration turns your miss into a hit, I feel a part of that success.

nickl_2000
2020-05-08, 08:59 AM
When I play CRPG's, I almost always play rogue. I want to mash that attack button until it's dead. I like very straightforward melee attacking.

I was surprised when that didn't feel compelling to me when playing at a tabletop. I think it's that there is so much time between attacks, and then my turn was over really fast.

What I've found I like a lot more is support. I love buffing the party - I feel really effective because there is a low risk of failure (if a monster makes their save, my turn feels "wasted") and I feel invested even when it's not my turn. If my Bless or Bardic Inspiration turns your miss into a hit, I feel a part of that success.

Every time they hit because of your bless or bardic inspiration you get to claim the damage they did or the kill. That's the way it works :smallbiggrin:

Democratus
2020-05-08, 09:27 AM
I've really started enjoying the role of "glue" for the party. And character-arc instigator for each of the other characters.

Ask (often) about the other character's histories and look for unresolved issues. Then try to encourage the party to help resolve them.

I try to look for ways to engage with NPCs and pull the other characters into relationships with them. That way the DM has more leverage for creating drama.

If all I accomplish in a campaign is to set up a few satisfying stories for the other players, then I feel like I've accomplished my mission.

FaerieGodfather
2020-05-08, 10:55 AM
Supportive, ranged, and face-- in that order. In 4e and 5e, I am fond of the Bard/Warlock combination.

In Pathfinder, I usually aim for Bard or Witch with either Soulknife dip or mind blade feats from 3.X, which I think are a lot more balanced under DSP psionics where actual Soulknives are a full BAB class with a staggering variety of class features.

Demonslayer666
2020-05-08, 11:34 AM
I try to play something different than I have recently played, so a favorite is no longer a thing. I have in the past favored dwarven fighters.

Joe the Rat
2020-05-08, 11:45 AM
Violence Monkey and Geomancer Control in that order

To explain, I like to roll dice and hit things. I actually prefer switch hitters (equally functional in melee or ranged) when I can manage it.

My preferred control strategy is using the environment to restrict and/or damage enemies, and alter said environment if necessary. Forced movement and hazard generation. I love a good pit.

Man_Over_Game
2020-05-08, 01:50 PM
Spies and skills. Something complex and versatile that changes up the encounter on both sides.

Attack rolls don't promote story or interactivity, while anything that doesn't use an attack roll generally does.

So my philosophy is that the worst thing I could do is to just deal damage, and I need to figure something else out to do whenever possible.

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-08, 01:57 PM
When I do play a character I generally lean towards Tank-ish characters that can take a lot of punishment. it's just the way I play, getting into the thick of the battle and cleaving wretched evil. it just fill me will joy. I also love playing social characters with a background that ties into the plot of the adventure somehow and roleplaying is just so fun for me that I get carried away sometimes.

behold the bard-barian!

peace in the galax's ease, k_pal?

Misterwhisper
2020-05-08, 01:59 PM
Either the face/social skills guy, or a long lasting strategic combatant like a warlock, or rogue.

Usually prefer someone who is always ready to go like a warforged rogue.

Jophiel
2020-05-08, 03:01 PM
Almost always support. Crowd control, force multiplier, healing, whatever. Let me help make you awesome!

I like the idea of social but, too often, it doesn't matter what I say but rather what I roll so I tend to find it disappointing. Giving a clever or flowery speech just to have the DM turn it into a Persuasion roll (and worse if you botch that) isn't very fulfilling. And I know the DM maybe shouldn't play it like that but, in my experience, they too often do.

Yakmala
2020-05-08, 03:57 PM
I guess you could call my preferred playstyle Party Survival.

Anything that allows me to either mitigate damage or get the party back on their feet.

How each of my characters does this varies:

My Rogue Thief Combat Medic does this by combining the Healer feat and Fast Hands. Anyone who goes down is back up quickly. And I'm not limited by spell slots. I can get someone back on their feet and still use my Sneak Attack, or use both my Action and Bonus Action to get two party members back up after that big AoE hits.

My Barbarian with Sentinel and GWM does this by giving the bad guys few other options. My hits hurt, but they can't run away safely. And I'm attacking recklessly so they're pretty confident they won't miss. That makes me targeting priority #1 in most cases, which is good for everyone else in the party.

My Redemption Paladin helps the party in all sorts of ways. I can use my reaction to take damage for a party member. I can give them bonuses to their saves. And I can make enemies think twice about attacking targets other than myself due to Rebuke the Violent. And on top of all that, I'm also a healer.

Sam113097
2020-05-08, 04:25 PM
I like to play frontline characters that focus on melee combat, with some utility/healing on the side. Things like Fighters with a bunch of healing/support feats, Str-based rangers, and paladins. I'm planning on playing a Scholar-type Inquisitive Rogue in my next game, using expertise in Arcana and History and the Healer feat for out-of-combat utility.

KorvinStarmast
2020-05-08, 05:40 PM
In this edition, I like to play supports who can occasionally lay a little lumber.
Cleric is a class I like a lot.
But the role I like most is "what has everyone else chosen to play, OK, I'll fill in that gap."

That's my favorite role.

Shocksrivers
2020-05-09, 04:08 AM
Always face! I am currently playing a nuker, and though building it was fun, it is really kind of boring....

Eldariel
2020-05-09, 06:20 AM
So, you're asking about my preferred combat style for my characters? Because aside from face, that's the whole list: it is often the case that combat and non-combat styles become different facets of the same character since mechanics overwhelmingly gravitate towards combat and non-combat usually stems from what's left.

Truth is, I don't really have one: I much prefer being versatile. Why pick one thing when you can do anything that needs doing? Of course, just because you have the ability to doesn't mean you need to do everything but it's nice to be able to slot into whatever slot is free in whichever encounter. I do gravitate towards sneaky, subtle over flashy, obvious, but most of my characters are aware of both having their place.

Lyracian
2020-05-09, 03:14 PM
My preference is the skill monkey skirmishing Rogue or the controlling Wizard/Bard.

My wife usually goes with the Tank. Barbarian for preference.

Dienekes
2020-05-09, 03:41 PM
Mechanically complex martial frontliner.

Man I miss the Warblade.

But I actually prefer to GM. So I guess my preferred playstyle is: God.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-05-10, 04:51 PM
I like being a skillmonkey.

JumboWheat01
2020-05-10, 04:59 PM
Since the cRPG versions of D&D tend to be more combat-heavy and in need of damage, I've grown to like more non-combat roles, either through skill usage or ritual casting, for table games.

Though my preferred play style seems to be "how can I make this class not what one would expect?" I like twisting classes into roles they probably don't excel in at all.

jas61292
2020-05-10, 09:41 PM
My favorite character concepts tend to be the rogue like characters that are sneaky and skilled, but I actually have not played that much of that kind of character in 5e. In actual 5e play, I have tended to enjoy cleric like support casters the most, especially if I am a melee capable build that just whacks things rather than using a cantrip as my main damage source.

That said, I find that at any given time, the type of character and playstyle I like most, is the one I am thinking about but not currently playing a character of. I like the characters I play, but I always build up ideas in my head that sound amazing, and really want to play them, but as soon as I do, the ideas I have shift to something else, and that becomes what I want to do.

Squeeq
2020-05-11, 01:51 AM
The most consistent feature of all the characters I've made is that they have pretty good survivability. Whether that's a lot of HP, high armor class, contingencies or spells to get them out of trouble, or some other gimmick, I like playing characters where I can make foolish choices or get myself into danger and survive, because it's way more fun when the players pull the lever or open the chest or push the button, etc. Being able to propel the story along keeps the pacing of the sessions energetic.

Tawmis
2020-05-11, 05:59 PM
Some examples of what I mean:
- supportive (healing and buffing or disabling for the team)
- tank and frontlining
- skirmishing
- brawlers
- a range focused unit
- nuker (magical or physical)
- social and face

So I've played D&D since... well... a long time. #OldManWithDice

And forever - FOR FREAKING EVER - I've avoided most caster types. Closest I got was Ranger.

I dipped into Druid, but it was mostly for the animal side.

I've typically done Fighter or Barbarian. (I did a Cavalier when they made that).

But recently, one of my players wanted to try her hand at DMing - and gathered up some new players.

I decided, "I want to try out this Life Cleric. Keep everyone alive."

I gotta say - I am actually really enjoying it. (Though he recently lost his armor and shield, so he's wearing shoddy armor and no shield... so the hits come a little too often right now)

And in the same player's game - when she wanted to first learn to DM we did it to the game I normally DM - we surprised the players and had her sit at the table, as I described the bard telling a story of these other heroes - and then handed out the character sheets.

On there, I accepted the challenge of playing a female, dwarf, bard - and I gave her a TON of personality. So she's been fun though I've hardly had to do too many bard-y things with her.

Warlush
2020-05-11, 06:35 PM
I like doing everything a halfling warlock can do. Ranged DPR, face, scout with a familiar. Kind of like a "bag man", doing a couple things really well and a bunch of other stuff good enough in a pinch.

Benny89
2020-05-11, 09:00 PM
I like to be good at everything and always have answer to everything (as much as possible of course).

My favourite playstyle is Jack of all Trades as much as possible. Damage, Defense, Social, Control, Support.

Therefore my playstyle are in 99% of time Charisma-bases character with access to magic for ddamage, control and support.

So my favourite builds are Sorcadins, Hexbards and Bardadins. They have almost everything and they are not depending on rest of the team, which is what I like. I can hold my own in almost every situation. I have damage (single and AOE), I have control, I have defense, I have great social skills, and I have support/healing.

Lycurgon
2020-05-12, 05:30 AM
Normally I prefer front line tanks. Tough guys that take a beating and know how to dish it out too. Role-wise I like defending others. Style-wise I like warriors with magic to enhance themselves. So Gish builds or paladins, Eldritch Knight, Ancestral Guardians, etc are great.

Having said that, I am currently playing a goblin blaster warlock that has an aversion to damage. Disengaging and fleeing from any enemies that get near him, then blasting from afar. Complete opposite of what I usually prefer. And I am loving it. Best character I have played in a long it.

Karnitis
2020-05-12, 08:46 AM
My general style is the "player," as in I play the game. :biggrin:

Due to COVID, my only playgroup currently active is a myself, my wife, my best friend, and his wife. Neither wife is that interested in playing, but they want to be a part of it nonetheless... so its most he and I roleplaying with each other, and they come in during fights or when I need a skill I don't have.

Luckily, I play someone really stupid so I drag them into saving me a lot.