PDA

View Full Version : Reskinning the Tortle

Dankus Memakus
2020-05-08, 05:06 AM
Does anyone out there have a fun or interesting reskin for the Tortle? I feel as if they are a really cool race with good potential but I really struggle to see a big turtle as a cool character to play. I've been tossing the idea around for awhile now and thought maybe like a crab person but that somehow feels equally goofy to me. Curious and bored, figured I'd steal others creativity

FaerieGodfather
2020-05-08, 11:10 AM
If you don't think being a giant turtle man is cool, what exactly do you like about tortles?

Segev
2020-05-08, 11:11 AM
Does anyone out there have a fun or interesting reskin for the Tortle? I feel as if they are a really cool race with good potential but I really struggle to see a big turtle as a cool character to play. I've been tossing the idea around for awhile now and thought maybe like a crab person but that somehow feels equally goofy to me. Curious and bored, figured I'd steal others creativity

Koopa Troopa? Bowser or one of his kids?

firelistener
2020-05-08, 11:13 AM
That giant crab race sounds super cool-looking. A humanoid snail might also work since it has the shell. I think they'd look a bit sillier than turtles though. I tend to imagine tortles looking more like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles than they are usually depicted in artwork.

chando
2020-05-08, 12:14 PM
Wizard/sage got afffected by crazy magical mutant effect, becomes hulk-like, green skin, really tough.
Can become anything and have anystats after the change because magic, so works on a barbarian, monk, wizard, whatever you want to play with tortle write up in the race blank.
starts campaing to become his old self, end up becoming a new self, could be a good character arc to explore.

I find reskinning things to a specifc charcter easier tham creating a whole new race in a campaing for the DM to account for, or you are like the unique being of that race someone has ever seen, but that can also be true or almost any existing race. Also any insect you like might work, reskkining its AC as an exoskeleton hardness.

elyktsorb
2020-05-08, 12:16 PM
If you don't think being a giant turtle man is cool, what exactly do you like about tortles?

I concur, as someone currently playing a Tortle Monk/Barbarian, being a big ole buff Tortle who slaps people with his big Tortle hands is the most fun.

Segev
2020-05-08, 12:19 PM
I now, because of this thread but not anything super specific in it, have an amusing image in my head of a Tortle wizard casting Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion and having it be inside his shell, so he pulls himself in and others can crawl into the holes and find it bigger on the inside. Maybe do something similar with Leomund's tiny hut, and have it be his shell expanding into a camp site with convenient windows.

Luccan
2020-05-08, 12:27 PM

If you're concerned about looking goofy, may I recommend alligator turtles to base your appearance on? They're ornery looking and not something I'd laugh at if it was humanoid and ready to fight me

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-08, 01:13 PM
1. A rhinoceros-humanoid hybrid.
I can totally see this being a thing, you'd have a charge/gore racial feature and probably have constitution and strength racial feats. maybe intimidation skill?

Part of me feels like this is more of a Loxodon reskin, but what the heck.

2. giraffe. Kinda lame, but need I say more?