PDA

View Full Version : A Fishy idea

Wolfie_1066
2007-10-25, 07:33 PM
This is an idea i had while at dinner, this concerns the latest strip and the fish that Roy caught. heres my idea:

i thought, that maybe the fish wasn't teleported to just any old adventurer but to Elan, V, and Durkon. maybe even Haley and Belkar if they met up by now (since we dont know about that yet) we all know that the giant will usualy to something as either part of a joke or just a offhand joke and it will come up later as something big sometimes...

know that this is just an idea and i dont want anyone to beat me up because "this idea is stupid" or "its just a cigar" like i said the giant DOES show something that sometimes comes up later so please PLEASE dont flame me with no good reason :smallsmile: now that that is over with...DISGUSS!!

Icewalker
2007-10-25, 07:52 PM
Sounds pretty likely, I'd say. That'd be hilarious.

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-25, 08:06 PM
It probably won't now that you've posted it.:smallamused:

SteveDJ
2007-10-25, 08:26 PM

Ah, but it was posted behind a spoiler tag, so it is still a possibility. :smallsmile:

Grug
2007-10-25, 09:02 PM
Except there's noone in the group that can cast summon monster spells. V has conjuration banned. Then who...?

Barbolanero
2007-10-25, 09:12 PM
Except there's noone in the group that can cast summon monster spells. V has conjuration banned. Then who...?

Some new character, after all, three months have passed!

TheOtherMC
2007-10-25, 09:14 PM

You don't think Durkon can cast "Summon planar ally" by now?

Chronos
2007-10-26, 12:13 AM
Clerics get the same Summon Monster spells that wizards do, and don't even have to worry about knowing them (they get access to all cleric spells automatically). And even Elan might have a few Summon Monster spells.

Flubadubdub
2007-10-26, 02:03 AM
:smalltongue: Can anyone say underwater adventure :smalltongue:

David Argall
2007-10-26, 02:22 AM
The idea seems fishy to me.

ThorFluff
2007-10-26, 05:50 AM
i love the idea, it might even be Durkon summoning a mount for Belkar after they, by getting help from lien, has reached AC again

Wolfie_1066
2007-10-26, 08:11 AM
well...i was thinking they might be trying to get something underwater, say...a pirates sunken treasure? :smalltongue: you never know, those usually have some gems in them

ObadiahtheSlim
2007-10-26, 08:32 AM
This is an idea i had while at dinner, this concerns the latest strip and the fish that Roy caught. heres my idea:

i thought, that maybe the fish wasn't teleported to just any old adventurer but to Elan, V, and Durkon. maybe even Haley and Belkar if they met up by now (since we dont know about that yet) we all know that the giant will usualy to something as either part of a joke or just a offhand joke and it will come up later as something big sometimes...

know that this is just an idea and i dont want anyone to beat me up because "this idea is stupid" or "its just a cigar" like i said the giant DOES show something that sometimes comes up later so please PLEASE dont flame me with no good reason :smallsmile: now that that is over with...DISGUSS!!

It's called Chekov's Gun. That fish may very well be one.

Runolfr
2007-10-26, 08:38 AM

Should actually be possible for Elan.

Chrismith
2007-10-26, 11:01 AM
Should actually be possible for Elan.

Possible, but unlikely -- after all, we saw him creating the illusion of a summoned creature (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0478.html) rather than actually summoning one. Elan seems to favor illusions over "useful" spells, though that may have changed since he became a dashing swordsman. But did he take any new levels he's gained in the past few months in bard, or his new prestige class? I doubt that the dashing swordsman grants new spells.

Uncle Festy
2007-10-26, 11:30 AM
Just an aside:
Originally Written By Rich Burlew in the FAQ:
Q: Wouldn.t it be cool if X, Y, and Z happened? You should totally do that.

A: Thanks, but I prefer to create my own plots. In fact, I try not to read anything where people suggest upcoming plot ideas because I hate it when people guess what is going to happen. I feel the uncontrollable urge to change what happens, just to prove them wrong. Petty? Probably.

Q: Hey, you used my idea I posted! Cool!

A: No, I didn.t. Even if your idea that you posted completely matches what eventually happened, you can be sure I was not inspired by your post. Largely because I probably didn.t read it (see above question).

So, just because you wrote it, spoilered or not, doesn't mean Rich is going to see it (and therefore disprove it).

-Uncle Out

Bel_Bel
2007-10-26, 11:39 AM
Just realized something. Durkon, V, and Elan were at sea when we last saw them. I think there is more potential now for this idea to be true.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-26, 12:02 PM
I think it's a good idea. Well done for thinking of it! :smallsmile:

Crimson Avenger
2007-10-26, 12:06 PM
Actually, even Belker should have acccess to a few Nature's Ally spells by now. Even if he only took a couple of levels in ranger.

Khosan
2007-10-26, 12:19 PM
Belkar would need a Wisdom higher than 10 to cast Ranger spells. It's not a stretch to say his Wis is somewhere around 9 after a couple incidents (Miko wanting to compare Wis modifiers for example).

Alex12
2007-10-26, 12:32 PM
Belkar would need a Wisdom higher than 10 to cast Ranger spells. It's not a stretch to say his Wis is somewhere around 9 after a couple incidents (Miko wanting to compare Wis modifiers for example).

Oddly, V mentioned that Belkar has "A Wis score usually reserved for lemmings" or something similar comparing Belkar's Wisdom to that of a lemming. I find this amusing, since creatures similar to lemmings, like Rats, Badgers, and Weasels, have Wis 12, and so it seems reasonable that lemmings have a comparable score.

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-26, 12:43 PM
Celestial fish (or any kind of fish excluding sharks) don't seem to be on the SNA list: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Summon_Nature%27s_Ally_Table_%28SRD_Spell%29 . Also, Belkar wouldn't be able to summon good or lawful aligned creatures. I'd say that Durkon would have summoned it if an OotS member summoned it.

Archbear
2007-10-26, 12:45 PM
Oddly, V mentioned that Belkar has "A Wis score usually reserved for lemmings" or something similar comparing Belkar's Wisdom to that of a lemming. I find this amusing, since creatures similar to lemmings, like Rats, Badgers, and Weasels, have Wis 12, and so it seems reasonable that lemmings have a comparable score.

Well, if you're willing to acknowledge that a creature known to throw itself off cliffs* can be considered to be "wise". ;)

*Okay, so this is an urban myth, that doesn't make it any less funny.

Wolfie_1066
2007-10-26, 02:56 PM
Just realized something. Durkon, V, and Elan were at sea when we last saw them. I think there is more potential now for this idea to be true.

i know, thats why i came up with this idea and i spesifically specifyed those three if you looked i said "not just teleported to any old adventurer but elan durkon and V and maybe haley and belkar too" so yeah thats one of the reasons

FujinAkari
2007-10-26, 03:14 PM
We specifically know Belkar has a wisdom less than 10, V had to cast Owl's Wisdom on him so he could use a scroll (I think it was a cure scroll)

geekyhedgehog
2007-10-26, 03:45 PM
Possible, but unlikely -- after all, we saw him creating the illusion of a summoned creature (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0478.html) rather than actually summoning one. Elan seems to favor illusions over "useful" spells, though that may have changed since he became a dashing swordsman. But did he take any new levels he's gained in the past few months in bard, or his new prestige class? I doubt that the dashing swordsman grants new spells.

or maybe he took a level of cleric................of BANJHULU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MCerberus
2007-10-26, 03:45 PM
Well, if you're willing to acknowledge that a creature known to throw itself off cliffs* can be considered to be "wise". ;)

*Okay, so this is an urban myth, that doesn't make it any less funny.

Actually that's a funny story. You see Disney was kind of a jerk at points and decided it would be cool to get footage of them going off cliffs. He had a whole bunch of people chase them while the cameras rolled.

Lavidor
2007-10-26, 04:17 PM
The fish? Oh, that was me. Check ABR V page 11.

Mad Scientist
2007-10-26, 09:57 PM
So, it's a celestial swordfish? Who knew that fish were lawful good.

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-26, 10:18 PM
It's called Chekov's Gun. That fish may very well be one.

If there's a fish on the table, someone's going to be slapped with it?

Tal9922
2007-10-27, 03:18 AM

i could never fathom why people believe that the giant won't do something just because it was in the forums, when he already did so dozens of times. The Plot is written in advance folks! You think that he will throw all his plans to the garbage just because of your petty speculations?! You think he'll have a great idea, stroll around in the forums, notice someone remotely touching that notion and will go "Oh well, so much for THAT idea!" Do ya?! DO YA?!?!?!

*takes a deep breath*
That will be all, i bid you a good day.

Devonix
2007-10-27, 10:07 AM
A lot of it stems from an old thing DC comics has done before. You see years ago DC had an event called Armageddon 2000 and in said event there was a villin called Monarch. This villan was from the future and there was much speculation as to who it was some fans figured out who the identity was and it spread like wildfire.

Now DC found out about this and retroactivly changed the identity to keep the suprise thereby ignorring all the clues already there. People still worry about things like this happening.

Antamar
2007-10-27, 10:18 AM
There have been several instances of this in the past (to lazy to look up specific comics) so I'd say that it's pretty likely.

BisectedBrioche
2007-11-02, 02:28 AM
A lot of it stems from an old thing DC comics has done before. You see years ago DC had an event called Armageddon 2000 and in said event there was a villin called Monarch. This villan was from the future and there was much speculation as to who it was some fans figured out who the identity was and it spread like wildfire.

Now DC found out about this and retroactivly changed the identity to keep the suprise thereby ignorring all the clues already there. People still worry about things like this happening.

Actually its probably more to do with this (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq8).