PDA

View Full Version : Hunter's Precision: A Low-Level Feature for a Ranger-Like Class

wayfare
2020-05-08, 11:05 AM
Hi All:

I'm designing a Ranger-Like class for 5e that leans more heavily into being a mobile stalker. The feature below is what I'm looking at for level 1. Any help is appreciated!

Hunter’s Precision
Starting at 1st level, you have learned to place your shots with care, allowing you to hobble your enemy and claim a more advantageous position. Once per round, when you hit an opponent with a weapon attack, choose one of the following effects:

-You expose a vulnerability in the target. The next time the target takes damage before the end of your next turn, they suffer +1d6 damage of the same type.

-The target is hobbled, reducing it’s speed by 10 feet.

-You may move up to half your speed. Moving in this way does not provoke opportunity attacks.

JNAProductions
2020-05-09, 04:29 PM
The -10' speed is equivalent to a cantrip, Ray of Frost, but with more reliability (assuming you get extra attack or can TWF).

The "move half speed" feels a little too good. Gaining both extra speed and what's effectively a free Disengage on a hit is pretty good. Compare to Skirmisher, from the Scout Archetype. Costs a reaction, and doesn't come online till level 3.

The +1d6 damage feels pretty much fine.

sandmote
2020-05-09, 05:37 PM
-You may move up to half your speed. Moving in this way does not provoke opportunity attacks. I'd say the creature you hit can't make opportunity attacks against you until the end of your turn. Other two look fine.

I'm designing a Ranger-Like class for 5e that leans more heavily into being a mobile stalker. The feature below is what I'm looking at for level 1. Any help is appreciated! Horse archer subclass?