PDA

View Full Version : magical fire underwater

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-08, 03:39 PM
would this work?: magical fire underwater.

the water would normally extinguish the fire but since it's MAGICAL...

thoughts on this?

Mjolnirbear
2020-05-08, 03:40 PM
That's an 'ask the dm' question.

Millstone85
2020-05-08, 03:43 PM
If the answer is yes, consider following the example of the dragon turtle and describing it as "scalding steam" that deals fire damage.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-08, 03:44 PM
I don't think the magical fire can burn any other objects underwater, but yeah, the magical flame itself might burn...

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-08, 03:46 PM
If the answer is yes, consider following the example of the dragon turtle and describing it as "scalding steam" that deals fire damage.

i'm not talking about fire DAMAGE i'm talking about legit fire. for example your sorcerer casts green flame blade and smacks a sahaugin with it. would this work or would the fire be extinguished?

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-08, 03:48 PM
I don't think the magical fire can burn any other objects underwater, but yeah, the magical flame itself might burn...

interesting idea, thanks for the feedback!

Keravath
2020-05-08, 03:51 PM
It works but creatures have an automatic fire resistance.

PHB p 198 "Creatures and objects that are fully immersed in water have resistance to fire damage."

Other than that, there is no constraint on casting fire spells under water in the rules. Neither the PHB nor the DMG appears to mention any constraints on verbal spell components while underwater so presumably they continue to work normally though your DM may have house rules on this.

P.S. Something like Create Bonfire should work since it creates magical fire and says nothing about water dousing the flames. However, although it can ignite flammable materials, I'd rule that anything underwater isn't flammable.

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-08, 03:53 PM
It works but creatures have an automatic fire resistance.

PHB p 198 "Creatures and objects that are fully immersed in water have resistance to fire damage."

Other than that, there is no constraint on casting fire spells under water in the rules. Neither the PHB nor the DMG appears to mention any constraints on verbal spell components while underwater so presumably they continue to work normally though your DM may have house rules on this.

thanks for the feedback, i think i have an idea on what it's like now.:smallbiggrin:

peace in the galax's ease, k_pal?

LudicSavant
2020-05-08, 04:26 PM
would this work?: magical fire underwater.

the water would normally extinguish the fire but since it's MAGICAL...

thoughts on this?

The relevant rule in the book is "creatures fully immersed in water have Resistance to fire damage."

There's no mention of whether or not magical flames are extinguished by water. However, many effects that extinguish flames specify nonmagical flames, which may inform your ruling.

If you're curious what burning stuff underwater might look like, well, real life has no shortage of examples (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baKdHa5TlYM).

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-08, 04:35 PM
The relevant rule in the book is "creatures fully immersed in water have Resistance to fire damage."

There's no mention of whether or not magical flames are extinguished by water. However, many effects that extinguish flames specify nonmagical flames, which may inform your ruling.

If you're curious what burning stuff underwater might look like, well, real life has no shortage of examples (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baKdHa5TlYM).

so they'd have resistance, but still take the damage? (sorry i'm still unclear)

LudicSavant
2020-05-08, 04:39 PM

Pretty much.

Incidentally, the Wall of Water spell specifically discusses what happens when fire effects pass through it (they can, the damage is just reduced).

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-08, 04:46 PM
Pretty much.

Incidentally, the Wall of Water spell specifically discusses what happens when fire effects pass through it (they can, the damage is just reduced).

thanks for the clarification.

Chronos
2020-05-08, 05:41 PM
Right, resistance means that a creature takes only half damage.

NorthernPhoenix
2020-05-09, 07:52 AM
I'd rule that instant effects (fireball etc) would work well enough to deal half damage (see above) but trying to produce a multi-turn fire would fail.