PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Alchemy potions and item creation questions

haplot
2020-05-08, 04:15 PM
Can someone please explain to me (or give me a page reference etc) of how craft alchemy can be used to make multiple alchemic healing pots?

Whats the dc to make it, costs etc and length of time it takes to do either 1 pot or a batch?

Is it possible to make multiple alchemic healing pots per day?

And am I right in assuming that RAW that it takes 1 day per 1000g or part thereof for magic items?

So for doing say 7 scrolls of enlarge person would take 7 days by RAW? or is it RAW that it takes less time than that?

Many thanks

Kelb_Panthera
2020-05-09, 01:50 AM
In 3e, the only alchemical healing item I'm aware of is the healing salve from Tome and Blood. It's worth 50gp so it takes 16.66 gp in raw materials to craft. Make your craft alchemy check and multiply it by the craft DC for the healing salve which is 25. That product is how many copper pieces worth of progress you make in a day of crafting or silver pieces worth of progress you make in a week. When you've made or exceeded 50gp worth of progress, the item is finished.

If, for example, you have the +15 in craft alchemy necessary to take 10 on the check, you can do so and make 625 cp of progress each day. That's 6.25gp so it'd take 8 days to complete. If you instead choose to go by weekly silver pieces, that's 62.5 gp for a week's progress and you can save yourself a day.

Finally, you can choose to craft at an accelerated rate by increasing the DC in increments of 10. At dc 35 and taking 10 to make it, the progress is 12.25 gp per day or 122.5 gp per week, allowing you to complete one in just over 4 days or 5 every two weeks. At DC 45 that bumps up to 20.25 gp per day or 202.5 gp per week; one in 2-1/2 days or 4 in a week.

As for actually magical potions, they do indeed take 1 day for each 1000 gp in their price and take a minimum of 1 day. The standard price for any potion is the level of the spell X the minimum caster level required to cast it X 50 gp. That's 50 gp for a Cure Light Wounds potion, 300 gp for a Cure Moderate Wounds potion, and 750 gp for a Cure Serious Wounds potion. More powerful potions are only available if Magic of Faerun's master alchemist prestige class is included in your game world.

In addition to the 1 day required, you must also spend an amount on raw materials equal to half of that base price value and a number of xp equal to 1/25 of that base price value. On the bright side, there are no skill checks involved in the crafting of magic potions. You just need the brew potion feat, and the ability to cast the spell. On the day you craft a potion, one copy of that spell is removed from your prepared spells or one slot of the appropriate level is removed from your daily alotment if you're a spontaneous caster.

You can make several potions in a day if you're a member of Magic of Eberron's alchemist savant prestige class; up to 3, as I recall.

I don't know what tweaks were made to either of these systems in Pathfinder but I can't imagine they're massively different.

Finally, yes, it would take 7 days to make 7 scrolls of enlarge person. There's a workaround, however, in putting 7 or more copies of enlarge person on a single scroll. It counts as a single item for the purposes of crafting, sundering, and selling but you get all 7 castings at the ready when you draw it out of your pack so you can cast from it. The practical limit on this is how many slots you have and how much you're willing and able to spend on a single scroll. I'd advise against putting more than a handful on any one scroll so as to avoid making it too tempting a target for enemies and thieves.

Fizban
2020-05-09, 01:58 AM
You should specify edition, otherwise you'll get competeing answers for 3.x and Pathfinder.

Can someone please explain to me (or give me a page reference etc) of how craft alchemy can be used to make multiple alchemic healing pots?
It can't (in 3.5), don't know where you got the idea. There is a Healing Salve alchemical item in Tome and Blood (and also one of the Faerun books), which is made like any other alchemical item. It's not very good.

Whats the dc to make it, costs etc and length of time it takes to do either 1 pot or a batch?
No dcs are involved in the creation of healing potions, unless you're an Artificer from Eberron (who have to roll UMD to make anything).

Is it possible to make multiple alchemic healing pots per day?
Potions, no. Alchemical items, theoretically possible, but you'd need an absurdly high skill bonus (at least +60 just to make one in one day).

And am I right in assuming that RAW that it takes 1 day per 1000g or part thereof for magic items?
Not sure you you mean by making assumptions about RAW, but yes that is the general rule. There are various ways to get minor exceptions.

So for doing say 7 scrolls of enlarge person would take 7 days by RAW? or is it RAW that it takes less time than that?
Scrolls are a special case: if you read the scroll section of the DMG, you'll find that a scroll can contain multiple spells, and in fact a lot of those rolled randomly on the table will. But it's one scroll, one item. So you could conceivably make a scroll with as many low level spells as you can cast in a day, as long as the total price is 1,000gp or less.

And ninja'd.

haplot
2020-05-10, 02:45 AM
thanks for the replies.

Sorry should have said it was for 3.5.

Another question then, if three spells are on one scroll, is there anything stopping you frrom tearing up the scroll into three bits after creation?

I half remember something bad happening if something like that occurs (like an explosion or something) but I can't remember whether it was for 3.5 or another edition

Fizban
2020-05-10, 04:31 AM
Depends on what happens when you tear it up. Magic items take damage as normal objects. An object can be destroyed with a strength check or hit point damage. Either way, once it's destroyed, its remains are no longer the previous object. You might find some use for a sword hilt or pieces of a shield, but they don't deal d8 or +2 AC.

If you tear up a scroll of xyz, the remains are no longer a scroll of xyz. And once the DM is aware of the single-scroll creation use, they should probably frown on attempts to get around the one restriction that usage provides. So I would expect the entire scroll is ruined. Or if they're being a bit forgiving, maybe cutting off a part ruins that part but all the spells on the remaining part (the larger part) still work, so that the player has a chance to stop after wasting only one spell instead of the whole scroll.

Zarrgon
2020-05-10, 09:58 AM
If your goal is to get a number of scrolls of one spell, there are a couple options.

1.Just buy it. Find a store or any spellcaster with it for sale. If it's a common spell and your campagain in not magic low, it should not be a problem.

2.Have it made. Find a spellcaster and pay them to make you scrolls.

3.Do you need scrolls for some reason? Many useful spells can be made into potions, but what you really might want is a wand or even a staff. A wand or staff of (whatever spell) has 50 charges. You might also consider a miscellaneous magic item.

haplot
2020-05-10, 12:38 PM
Okay, the problem is this as far as I can work out...

the party is lvl 2, almost lvl 3. human ranger, dwarf paladin, dwarf cleric, human rogue/fighter, elf wizard.

the party is currently holed up in a cave on route to a town (half a day away) and got to clear a pass of orcs and traps.

current plan is to make scrolls of enlarge person to help step over traps to deal with the orcs on the other side of them. wizard can cast 3 lvl 1 spells a day.

just wondering if there was a way to speed up the scribing of scrolls or a better way to deal with orcs and traps

MesiDoomstalker
2020-05-10, 01:05 PM
Without knowing the actual traps consist of, it is difficult to determine the best way around them. That being said, there are few traps I can think of that could be placed upon a road that could not be subverted by... not being on the road. The orc's themselves may be a threat, but the key thing is to not give an opponent a homefield advantage (fight through their traps) when possible. Unless this road is in, like, a canyon or something? Additionally, being Large also probably wouldn't let you avoid traps either. If anything it make you more vulnerable to traps. Your AC and Reflex saves are reduced and you occupy a bigger space so it be harder to avoid trigger areas.

haplot
2020-05-10, 01:30 PM
the path switchbacks along a cliff with pit traps in front chopped down trees that are acrross the path.

man traps across parts of cliff top with pit traps along the bottom of it.

the pit traps range from 10ft deep to 20ft deep and are about 5 ft wide

wizard's first lvl spells are mage armor, magic missile, identify, burning hands, greese, comprehend languages, enlarge person, disguise self, unseen servant, and summon monster 1

basically looking for ways to either bypass the traps to fight the orcs or to bypass the orcs temporarily to bypass the traps first. Any suggestions?

Bohandas
2020-05-10, 02:55 PM
In 3e, the only alchemical healing item I'm aware of is the healing salve from Tome and Blood.

There's also the Purebalm, Burn Salve, Frost Lotion, Gash Gue, Elf Hazel, and Dragon Brew from Dragon Magazine 301 pg.53-58, and the Anti-Disease Tonic from Dragon Magazine #332 pg.32

MesiDoomstalker
2020-05-10, 02:58 PM
So what I'm hearing is "clear a 5 ft jump, consistently". So long as you know where these pit traps are, all you have to do is make a 5 ft jump to avoid them. Even at low level, that isn't a terrible chance. You don't have resources to completely ignore the traps at this venture. You don't have access to 2nd level spells (For things like Spider Climb or Levitate) and the Wizard lacks the Jump or Expeditious Retreat spells (which would make jumping the pits much easier). I'm going to assume you can't over or below the road given the fact that you aren't considering avoiding the road in the first place.

Do you have lots of rope? If you have lots of rope, what you might do is have the person with the best Jump/Strength go over the pits first since they have the best chance of succeeding.
Then, have the other remaining players tie rope around their waists and the Jump/Strength character holding the end while each character makes their own jump. Worst case, they fall and then use the Jump/Strength character as an anchor point to climb out with the rope. Of course, this is time consuming. If you have a time crunch, then I'm not sure what to tell you besides bite the bullet and accept that you'll fall into these pits a fair few times.

haplot
2020-05-10, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately, quest is to clear the pass, so cant really justify going around.

the jumping thing should work though, thank you for the heads up

Kelb_Panthera
2020-05-10, 10:04 PM
There's also the Purebalm, Burn Salve, Frost Lotion, Gash Gue, Elf Hazel, and Dragon Brew from Dragon Magazine 301 pg.53-58, and the Anti-Disease Tonic from Dragon Magazine #332 pg.32

Yeah, that's my bad for not being clear. I meant "healing" in the sense of restoring HP damage. I don't -think- any of those has that effect? Not as its primary effect or without requiring some other status ailment anyway.

Bohandas
2020-05-11, 12:16 AM
Yeah, that's my bad for not being clear. I meant "healing" in the sense of restoring HP damage. I don't -think- any of those has that effect? Not as its primary effect or without requiring some other status ailment anyway.

The burn salve and the frost lotion do, but only if the damage is from fire or cold (respectively) and only if they are applied promptly (within 2 rounds). The article is inconsistent ad to the specifics of the effect though page 54 says that they heal 1d6 points of damage outright, but page 58 says that they heal 1d6 points of damage and replace them with an equal amount of nonlethal damage.

Vizzerdrix
2020-05-11, 12:29 AM
Hmm... Have you considered stampeding a herd of cattle up the trail?

haplot
2020-05-11, 09:54 AM
Hadnt thought about the cattle idea. might be an idea

This is what I love about coming here ... so many good ideas