PDA

View Full Version : Player Help D&D Talent Show! What Talent Shall I do?

Avista
2020-05-08, 06:26 PM
In our campaign, the town is hosting a talent show with a very tantalizing prize my character wants. Since I'm a swashbuckler rogue I could go the other route and steal it, but the town watch has a close eye on me because of...previous escapades. :smallbiggrin: So I might be safer off doing this legitimately.

I have expertise in Acrobatics, Stealth, Persuasion and insight, and proficiency in performance, but I can use any skill. I also know the court jester is entering, and he is very good at what he does. Telling jokes, dancing, acrobatic tricks - anything a court fool needs to do. (He's also a sweet guy who helped my character once, so I'm not offing him.) I have no proficiency in instruments, and I've never seen the jester play any instruments - doesn't mean he isn't capable.

I need talent ideas that could upstage the jester. Suggestions?

CheddarChampion
2020-05-08, 06:44 PM
Well you could pay him to not enter or pay some magician to curse him/buff you...
Maybe get a spellcaster to summon a dazzling monster and duel it by yourself?

No brains
2020-05-08, 08:33 PM
Start with the audience under the assumption that you're doing a comedy act. Then when they throw vegetables, acrobatically dodge them! Then do comic insults to people who didn't hit you! Maybe too high-concept, but an original idea.

Pex
2020-05-08, 08:41 PM
Poledancing

Lavaeolus
2020-05-08, 08:54 PM
Start with the audience under the assumption that you're doing a comedy act. Then when they throw vegetables, acrobatically dodge them! Then do comic insults to people who didn't hit you! Maybe too high-concept, but an original idea.

If you do go this route, you could have the rest of the party act as hecklers. It's a little less chancey than just hoping the audience will specifically go for the tomatoes.

Of course, that might open up some other avenues: is there anything your party has that you can bring in? It would be fun, as an example, to bring in your Beastmaster's trained animal and either stage a fight, or have them do tricks that no normal beast would be capable of. Perhaps there's a Wizard or Bard spell you can bring in? Of course, only Sorcerers get to silently Subtle Spell...

Concerning the jester: most obvious way to stop him beating you, assuming you neither want to sabotage his performance nor force him to cancel, would be to team up with him. Double act! ...But depending on the prize and the rules of the show, this may or may not be possible or feasible.

Avista
2020-05-08, 09:36 PM
Let's see! In our party we have a warlock, druid, another rogue, a wizard, and a barbarian.

I could bribe the jester to not enter, or team up with him...but the prize can't be split.

Friend suggested I do something with fire, since as a tiefling I have resistance to being burned. Add in uncanny dodge for any theatrical fireballs and I should be fine. I'm pretty sure the jester can't top that. A bit of a risk concerning collateral damage with the town.

CheddarChampion
2020-05-08, 11:40 PM
Uncanny Dodge works on attacks (attack rolls) against you so not fireball.
Or are you at least level 7 for Evasion?

Lille
2020-05-08, 11:56 PM
You could steal the prize as the talent you're showing, if you want to go for something a bit riskier.

ImproperJustice
2020-05-09, 12:09 AM
What is something the town would find bold and impressive?
Do that.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-09, 12:23 AM
With expertise in insight and persuasion, you could solve a cold case if you can work out who did it ahead of time - engineer a showy examination which pulls a confession from the perpetrator.

On the plus side, will counteract some of that negative heat you've got on you, too.

Will need the DM to buy in.

Avista
2020-05-09, 03:30 AM
Uncanny Dodge works on attacks (attack rolls) against you so not fireball.
Or are you at least level 7 for Evasion?
Yikes, I did mean evasion. I always get the two mixed up.