PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Custom Feat: Timeslip

jjordan
2020-05-09, 09:58 AM
Self-scrubbing for reasons

JNAProductions
2020-05-09, 11:23 AM
I'd be hesitant to allow this as a general feat, available to anyone. It's not RIDICULOUSLY overtuned, but it is quite potent.

As a free, story-based feat given to all the PCs? To quote Syndrome, if everyone is super, no one is. Since it's unattached from stats, that means all characters have (assuming equal levels) an equal chance of activating it.

That being said, I would consider allowing the on-turn rewind to be possible without a check. As a reaction, yes, require a check, but as something to do on your turn, you could probably allow it to be automatic activation.

GalacticAxekick
2020-05-09, 11:38 AM
My number one concern is simplicity. Remembering everything that happened in the last six seconds (aka the last round) will be very difficult. If I use this bonus action at the start of my turn, I undo everything since the start of my last turn. "How much damage did Friend A take? What level spell slot did Friend B use? How many hit points did Enemy A have before we killed it? Where was everyone standing?"

On a smaller note, the DC 12 check is unfun. Nobody wants to use a once-per-day action and get nothing out of it.

To keep it confined to the player's own turn, and to keep it reliable, I'd rewrite the feat as follows:

Timeslip

When you use your action to make an attack roll, to make an ability check, or to force a creature to make a saving throw, you can decide that you are dissatisfied with the roll's result and use your reaction to undo your action. Now that you know the result of that particular action, you can choose to take a different one. If you repeat the same action, you automatically get the same result.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

At any moment during your turn, you can use your reaction to return to the start of your turn. Now that you remember the conversations you had, the areas you explored, and the results of the actions you took, you can redo your turn with foreknowledge. If you repeat the same conversations, movements or actions, you automatically get the same results.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

JNAProductions
2020-05-09, 12:23 PM
Well, thanks to AxeKick inspiring, I would like to ask this:

Which is more fun?
1) Doing the same thing, but better
2) Knowing that your original action will fail, and having to figure out something else to do to achieve victory

Especially since, as currently written, it ENCOURAGES them to do the same action. With AxeKick's remake, it encourages them to think differently.

GalacticAxekick
2020-05-10, 12:22 AM
Well, thanks to AxeKick inspiring, I would like to ask this:

Which is more fun?
1) Doing the same thing, but better
2) Knowing that your original action will fail, and having to figure out something else to do to achieve victory

Especially since, as currently written, it ENCOURAGES them to do the same action. With AxeKick's remake, it encourages them to think differently.In the heat of combat, 2 basically allows you to use your second-best option when your best option fails. It's a great cushion, but depending on the quality of your second choice, it might not be exciting.

Outside of combat is where 2 really shines. It's a license to take incredible risks, once per long rest:
You chase a burglar down the city's crowded streets, down its winding alleyways, and even up to its rooftops, before finally losing her at a fork in your path. Left or right? Doesn't matter. Timeslip lets you try both paths.
You need to infiltrate an enemy camp, but have no idea where the trap or sentries lie. You charge in, tripping wires and drawing eyes with every step. Then you timeslip and inform your party what lies ahead.
You desperately need a total stranger's help, and you need leverage to get it. You say hello, ask for his name, make small talk, then timeslip. "Johan, humble potter," you say "The gods forewarned me that I would meet you here. You and your elder son must aid me on my mission. Fear not, for your wife and the newborn will be safe without you"

DracoDei
2020-05-10, 02:41 PM
I think "not lost on a failed roll" is DEFINATELY a good idea if you keep the roll to activate.