PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 way to bypass cold iron DR without using the metal

the_tick_rules
2020-05-09, 10:33 AM
Is there a way to have weapons inflict cold iron damage permanently without the weapons being made of cold iron? There is a ring for adamantine and gloves for silver but I can't find anything for cold iron. I know it's intentionally hard because cold iron resists magic so it doesn't have an easy way around like some others.

RNightstalker
2020-05-09, 10:40 AM
Is there a way to have weapons inflict cold iron damage permanently without the weapons being made of cold iron? There is a ring for adamantine and gloves for silver but I can't find anything for cold iron. I know it's intentionally hard because cold iron resists magic so it doesn't have an easy way around like some others.

Metalline weapon enchantment from MIC. +2 cost.

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-05-09, 12:22 PM
Tome of Battle has the Stone Dragon maneuvers that ignore Hardness and DR. Accessible with a feat or a 3K magic item for 1 attack per combat, or with a 1-level dip for repeated use.

TheCount
2020-05-09, 12:41 PM
There is also a Druid/Ranger spell for giving this on a natural weapon, its name is Metal Fang, from Complete Champion, p 124-125.

Nifft
2020-05-09, 02:53 PM
If you're open to PrCs from old WotC web articles...

This guy gets cold iron on every melee attack at level 7 (ECL 12 minimum): http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20040507a

Biggus
2020-05-09, 06:35 PM
There's also the Transmuting weapon property from the MIC.

Thurbane
2020-05-09, 07:47 PM
Arcanopath Monk 5 PrC allows your unarmed strikes to overcome Dr/cold iron.
Battle Dancer 18 can chose to have their unarmed strikes count as cold iron for overcoming DR.
Cold Iron Tracery feat allows a warforged to overcome DR/cold iron with their natural weapons.
Shadow Sentinel PrC 5 allows a weapon to overcome DR/cold iron.
Stone Fist spell allows the natural weapons of a dwarf or goliath to overcome DR/cold iron.

Saintheart
2020-05-09, 08:56 PM
The web version of the Splinterbolt spell (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) allows the bolt to be treated as cold iron when it's cast in forested terrain.

Maat Mons
2020-05-09, 09:37 PM
The weapon could be made of Abyssal Bloodiron instead... if that's any better.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't bother with the Ring of Adamantine Touch or the Gauntlets of Arcane Weaponry either. The ring doesn't help with damaging objects or keeping your sword from breaking. And both of them take up precious magic item slots.

Adamantine costs a flat +3,000 gp. The 3.5 Update Booklet for Ghostwalk makes Truesilver a cost flat +1,000 gp. (If you're not familiar with Truesilver, it's an inlay of silver that can be added to a weapon made of any other metal, and it makes the weapon overcome DR/silver, while retaining all the benefits of the original material.) That's a reasonable cost for a reasonable benefit.

But if you try to work in Cold Iron for the trifecta... all I've got is the actual material Cold Iron, or the material Abyssal Blood Iron. And then you need to use a Ring of Adamantine Touch to overcome DR/adamantine. That's twice the cost of an adamantine weapon, takes up a body slot, and doesn't even give the full benefits of adamantine. I'm not convinced it's worth it.

the_tick_rules
2020-05-09, 10:53 PM
Adamantine costs a flat +3,000 gp. The 3.5 Update Booklet for Ghostwalk makes Truesilver a cost flat +1,000 gp. (If you're not familiar with Truesilver, it's an inlay of silver that can be added to a weapon made of any other metal, and it makes the weapon overcome DR/silver, while retaining all the benefits of the original material.) That's a reasonable cost for a reasonable benefit.

so far I like the true silver idea, well the dragon maneuvers I couldn't find anything out about. it would still require the cold iron but it would be cheaper than multiple enchanting the gloves. it would work on cold iron even? I know the normal rules say you can't double up on special materials. I cant find a copy of the ghostwalk, well that I wouldn't have to pay for.

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-05-09, 11:19 PM
Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords is the book, it introduces what's basically a magic system for martial classes. One of the 9 martial schools is Stone Dragon. Stone Dragon has a 2nd level strike(accessible at IL 3, which is either 3 levels of one of the new classes, or 6 HD of non-initiator classes) called Mountain Hammer. Mountain Hammer requires a standard action attack, deals normal damage +2d6, and ignores ALL DR and Hardness. There are 3 ways you can access this:
At least 1 level of a class from the book. They all get Stone Dragon maneuvers, none of them are bad classes, and a dip means that you can use the maneuver several times in one combat. Downside: You're basically learning a new magic system. Upside: You're now significantly stronger than a normal fighter.
Take Martial Study as your 6th level feat, select Mountain Hammer. This lets you use it once per encounter.
Buy a Novice Stone Dragon Belt. (3,000 GP). Again, this gives it to you once per encounter.

Maat Mons
2020-05-09, 11:28 PM
Yeah, everything about Truesilver is weird.

It started its life as a +1 weapon special ability that somehow altered the base material of the weapon it was applied to. The update booklet then turned it into a +1,000 gp nonmagical ability that somehow requires the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat to add, and can only be added to a weapon with at least a +1 enhancement bonus.

In the interests of full disclosure, I should tell you that it doesn't explicitly say weapon retains the benefits of the original material. But I don't see why adding a magical +1 ability would remove any features from the base weapon (unless it actually [i]said[\i] it did). And all the update does is change the price and remove the magic aura.

Mnemius
2020-05-10, 02:21 AM
Convince your GM to let you import the rule set from pathfinder that says
+3 bypasses Cold Iron and Silver DR
+4 bypasses Adamantine DR (but not hardness)
+5 bypasses alignment DR

As an option?